Bluetooth Headset (Jabra) earpiece wire colour codes
Feb 5, 2014 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MindVentures

New Head-Fier
Ok,

Just recently joined, been quite eager to post to get help from awesome community here.

So to cut it short, I am a big fan of Jabra BT5020 and have been using it for quite some years since its release. It is a discontinued product now however I have two of them, one in active use and one as a spare backup. Did not switch to any other bluetooth headset since its the only one with very discrete stealth styling and a built in vibrating alert feature (which apparently is not there in any of the headsets).

Recently I started having troubles with its earpiece (I probably wore it after a shower and some water ran inside) , the sound coming out is totally distorted and shrill almost crackling. It maybe that the speaker coil or cone has been damaged.

Given the tiny size of this speaker, there is no repair possibility and there are not spare replacement earpieces available anywhere.

So i popped it open and de-soldered the earpiece from the housing. Take a look at the pic. Two black wires now waiting for a new earpiece

Desperate to make it work again , i bought a new cheaper bluetooth headset to extract the earpiece , that was almost the same size and diameter to fit in the Jabra BT5020 ear piece socket.

I was about to desolder this new earpiece from the headset to try to make it fit in the older headset, however I noticed there are three wires connected to it, from the left red, blue and black. Again the pic is here to make you understand..

So I am kinda bit confused, if I desolder this new earpiece with color coded wires , how and in which sequence should I solder it to the older headset which only had two black wires , as seen in the first picture.

Usually speakers or earpiece (which is a tiny speaker) have red and black wires for polarity, and if reversed the speakers do sound weird. But i guess this effect wont be very noticeable in a tiny earpiece for the headset, however I am not sure about the blue wire. Should the point for blue wire needs to be connected or left open.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading and replying.

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #2 of 5
Please also inform if someone offers repair services for small earpieces like such as shown in the first picture . Place , estimates cost n time, shipping and payment method.

Can also think of sending the earpieces for repair to be able easily fit the original earpiece back in the headset.

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards.

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 5
I think it's too bad you didn't just call Jabra before trying your own repairs.

You could try the head-fi DIY forum - maybe someone there could help you.

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #4 of 5
I think it's too bad you didn't just call Jabra before trying your own repairs.

You could try the head-fi DIY forum - maybe someone there could help you.

I am pretty sure that Jabra support would not have been able to provide spares and support for a model that has been discontinued around 4-5 years ago or so. Have had experiences with them.

By a long shot if possible, sending over my headset to Jabra would have costed me much pain, anticipation and cash, in comparison to the possibility of having it done DIY and getting some support from this excellent community, for which I have faith, that I will get it :wink:.

Lending a hearing ear to your advice, posting it in the DIY forum, lets see if someone is able to solve my problem

Thanks for the feedback though.

Cheers.

Feb 10, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #5 of 5
Hi there,

Thanks for not replying :)

Got it done, wasnt a big confusion anyways, the blue wire in the mid was maybe for some noise cancelling function. Since it was not needed in the old Jabra headset where the speaker was to be replaced, it left it alone and joined the two wires simply at the extreme (red and black) points.

Below is the meager toolkit used for the activity and the finalized Jabra BT5020, as good as new for my prolonged use. Hope the info might come handy for anyone else.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back