Bluetooth headphones/headsets - THE most inclusive list (that I could find)
Oct 25, 2007 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ticomojo

New Head-Fier
So here's how I got on this bluetooth kick...

I recently picked up a sweet new cell phone that like most new cellphones supports a microSD card and MP3 playback - something very intriguing to me as my flash player recently kicked it. Problem is the cell only has a 2.5mm audio jack... I know I could buy a converter and just use a regular set of cans but I don't like adding more wires and things to plug in.

Also, while bluetooth isn't really new, it's pretty new to me - and as an aficionado of most new gadgets - I'm intrigued.

So, I started looking for stereo bluetooth headsets. It started with the Motorokr s9 and because of reviews bashing its durability/longevity I started looking some more. I came across a pretty well encompassing list that I wanted to share:

http://www.a2dp.info/index.php/Getti...-Headsets.html

I haven't had time to click them all - just wanted to share my hours of perusing the internet for some bluetooth knowledge, and this seemed like a good forum to do so.

Oh and if anyone has experience with these phones/sets or has something to add to the list (other phones/experiences/opinions) - please do.

Oct 26, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #4 of 16
I have the s9's. Actually 4. My brother has one, and I have two extras.

They are excellent. I dont know where the durability comments are coming from, they are some of the most durable headphones I have.

I toss them in my backpack inbetween the books, and they still look new.
The plastic is very durable, and flexible. I can bend them, squash them, and they flex back. I've used them in the rain, and they work fine.

The battery charges fast, less than an hour, and you get over 6 hours of play time.

I have two extra's NIB if you are interested.

SQ on bluetooth may not be audiophile quality, but it beats some popular iems like e2c's.

Only downsides are, the rubber tips come off easily, but if you lose them, motorola will send you replacements for free.

Oct 26, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ticomojo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. That was helpful. Anyone else.

Welcome to Opinion-Fi . . . No worries; not all opinions here are so strong and closed-ended….. I for one think that very little in audio reproduction “sucks” if your goal is to enjoy the music itself. It’s more what your expectations are for music reproduction (critical versus casual listening versus drowning out annoying sounds), and I enjoy good music on just about anything, including Bluetooth. For me, BT is simply a matter of convenience and something fun with which to experiment to see what is possible. I have a pair of iPhono Mini headphones, and although they are not of what I would call audiophile quality by any stretch, I do enjoy using them, especially at times when I do not want to be fettered by a cord of any type.

Platform - I have a Win Mobile phone and use Core Player (commercial version of TCPMP) with 320 AAC, just to have tunes (and full length movies) available at odd times. I also found a little hack that helps smooth out some of the A2DP glitches/skips common to this environment.

Funky application - Having started a new program at the gym, I created a spreadsheet with the new exercises so I can record weight used and any comments. With Excel and CorePlayer both running, I can workout to very decent sounding tunes with the device sitting on the floor or table next to me and then afterward make notes. The on-board interface allows me to pause, adjust volume, track advance (or even answer a phone call) via the headset. Volume level is loud enough to block out the dance-pop that is sometimes playing while remaining free of distortion; the sonics are actually quite decent. Being able to throw weights around or jump on the odd machine without worrying at all about a cord getting caught is very quickly making this configuration my gym rig of choice.

None of the above is meant to take away from critical listening on a high end home system, which for me is a recreational drug and one of my favorite pastimes.

Enjoy the investigation; enjoy the music.

Oct 26, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #6 of 16
ticomojo;3386450 said:
So here's how I got on this bluetooth kick...

I recently picked up a sweet new cell phone that like most new cellphones supports a microSD card and MP3 playback - something very intriguing to me as my flash player recently kicked it. Problem is the cell only has a 2.5mm audio jack... I know I could buy a converter and just use a regular set of cans but I don't like adding more wires and things to plug in.

So, did you get any bluetooth headphones mate with your phone? Did you need to do something special?

Oct 27, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #7 of 16
drp, thanks.

I got the MOTORIZR Z6tv for verizon - it's one of the phones that play TV (if you are in one of the 4 market areas it's currently available), although that's not why I got it. So, I found out how to play some of my own vids (downloaded TV shows mainly) on the phone and I can put up to 4gb of media via a microSD card - nice.

Anyway what I'm mainly looking for is a BT headphone that has decent isolation to use at the gym or while traveling with my laptop. I'm hoping for something <$80. The Motorokr S9 is only $68 shipped from amazon - best I've found for the money so far. One interesting find from that list is the JayBird JB-100 - but it's 2x the price f the Moto S9.

Physh, how much are you willing to sell the S9s for?

Thanks for the input so far. I knew I'd get the sarcastic bluetooth sucks response.... maybe I should have prefaced with knowledge of such rumors - the intent of this thread was more to see what may be out there and if anyone has had a surprisingly good experience with some BT headphones.

Cheers.

Oct 27, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #8 of 16
drp, I too think that we should really overlook equipment and just enjoy the music, but bluetooth audio is really bad. It really impacts the enjoyability of music.

I personally use a BlueStreamer for calls, tried it with music (over bluetooth, not via the line-in), and was disgusted. YMMV

Oct 27, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
drp, I too think that we should really overlook equipment and just enjoy the music, but bluetooth audio is really bad. It really impacts the enjoyability of music.

I personally use a BlueStreamer for calls, tried it with music (over bluetooth, not via the line-in), and was disgusted. YMMV

Nah corded audio being better than bluetooth is just a placebo affect. Those corded headphones are simply there to keep you tethered to something. It's like the world telling you that you aren't ready to be free so you still need a lifeline of lies and deceit!
580smile.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #10 of 16
Is bluetooth technology just that bad... or are most of the bluetooth headphones that people have experienced just that bad. Maybe there are bluetooth headphones capable of decent audio... maybe.

Before I get another sarcastic response - I know that bluetooth has its limitations and entails further lossy encoding - actually I read a decent article along my research that talked about the possibility of lossless bluetooth audio on the horizon. I'll look for it...

Found it:

- Lossless Bluetooth Audio Coming Soon - News and Analysis by PC Magazine

Oct 27, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #11 of 16
The problem with Bluetooth audio is that it applies additional lossy compression to the file as it transmits. If you are listenting to MP3s via Bluetooth, you are effectively listening to two layers of lossy compression by the time the sound hits your ears. That can't be good, especially if you are talking about 128K files.

However, there may be improvement on the horizon.

An article posted to PCMag.com discusses SoundAbout Lossless, a new, lossless codec for Bluetooth streaming. Aimed at Bluetooth 2.0 devices, SoundAbout Lossless could significantly improve the SQ potential of Bluetooth headphones. The codec has been developed by Open Interface North America (OINA). The author speaks of vastly improved SQ in a demo by OIMA for PCMag editors.

According to an OINA official quoted in the article, "Since SOUNDabout Lossless utilizes the same CPU and memory resources as SBC, it can be integrated into existing Bluetooth 2.0 products as a firmware upgrade." According to the article, "OINA sees the availability of the new codec in products as early as 2008."

This post is substantially similar to my post on this subject in a previous thread, but I thought it might be more relevant to this discussion than a simple "Bluetooth sucks."
lambda.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #13 of 16
Anything wireless is going to be less effective than hardwired. Just how life goes JBL has a new headphone out that is both bluetooth and hardwire capable. I tested it via the wire and it sounded pretty darn good, but it is $230 or so. JBL Reference 610

Oct 27, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #14 of 16
I'm surprised that nobody has ever asked me questions about bluetooth audio, with all the devices listed in my sig
eek.gif

I currently just bought a Motorola S705 bluetooth pendant, and run the headphone out into my portable headphones of choice, such as PX100. I haven't tried everything with it since I just got it this week.

I orginally wanted it so I could listen to my TV in the bedroom without waking my wife, since I have a Moto D800 BT receiver/transmitter hooked up to the bedroom audio system. Now I can take it with me and use it in the bedroom.

My next choice is my Moto S9, with a plantronics BT8010 as my backup with heatshrink tubing on the earpieces to make them closer to IEM's that hang off my ears like buds. I don't use most of my other BT headsets these days, not because I don't like them but because I have too many.

Oct 27, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #15 of 16
HeadphoneAddict,

if you were to compare the audio through the S705 BT pendant vs wired straight into your source (using the same headphones of course) how much of a difference is there?

Also, can you give your opinion of the Moto S9 (sound quality as well as durability).

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back