Bluetooth headphones for the gym
Sep 8, 2014 at 8:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Indirect

New Head-Fier
Hey

First off, I'm a head-fi noob!

I'm looking to get some bluetooth headphones to use at the gym. My source is my HTC One M8 phone (mostly spotify and mp3 - some FLAC from time to time)

I wont be doing any running in them, only lifting.

This is what i want:
- Not alot of sound leakage
- Over ear
- Closed
- Headphone that stays on the head when lying on the bench, doing pull-ups etc.
- Good comfort
- Not insanely bulky

I have small ears. I mostly listen to hip-hop and metal. 

I'm really considering Sony MDR-1RBT. However I won't be able to get the MKII where i live (is it still worth getting them?)
I've also looked at AKG K845 BT, though I think I would miss the skip track media controls. 
Harman / Kardan HARKAR-BT: from what i've read they are twice as heavy as both the sony and the AKG. I also don't like their aesthetics.
Parrot Zik: I think these have awsome aesthetics. However I've seen some people complaining about app dependency?

I've pretty much read through this whole thread. But I've still not come to a decision, so any help is appriciated!

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #2 of 8
Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet.

Wish I could help you, but I've only tried 1 bt phone and I hated it. I'm sure someone will offer good advice. For the gym, I use IEMS. Music sounds better wired, plus I hate in the middle of a set and losing audio.

Dec 30, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #3 of 8
Yeah, and I realize this won't be that helpful either if you are dead set on your requirements, but the absolute best workout BT phones are the Beatmasters.

Yep, in-ear but *comfortable* in-ear (and I don't LIKE in-ear phones), particularly when used with Comply foam tips.  You don't have to "jam them" into your ears to get great sound, they don't have any sound leakage even at the highest volumes, they will remain easily on your ears even if you *are* running, jumping, whatever.  And, of course, very small (can fit into a shirt pocket easily).

Their only disadvantage is they are overpriced (about $50) but there is no finer in-ear solution out there.  And I've tried all the over-the-ear BT headphones you mention and would never even slightly consider them for workouts (the Sony MK2, for example, like the rest will always slide somewhat down when you lay down.  Not terribly, but the smaller the head the worse the issue).

If you've never tried the Beatmasters you might want to give it a shot just to see if it would change your mind about in-ear phones.

Feb 16, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 8
If you've never tried the Beatmasters you might want to give it a shot just to see if it would change your mind about in-ear phones.

What are the beatmasters? Can't seem to find any such product on Google.

Feb 16, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #5 of 8
Ah, sorry, old man moment (actually, in my life they are ALL old men moments :>).

Powerbeats, of course.  With the right Comply earpieces (and you will need to experiment -- I had to try three different types and four different sizes to find the ones that were "perfect") they are comfortable, easy to wear in workouts of any kind, and (of course) have absolutely terrific sound.

There are times I enjoy listening to them more than even my $$$ Fidelio wired (converted to BT <g>).  Mostly because they are just so easy to move around in (whereas with the Fidelio I pretty much have to stay seated).

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #6 of 8
 A late reply, but a reply nevertheless.. :)

I am a fanboy of the  Sony MDR 1RBT MK2..  I am also a gym nut too..

IMO, the Sonys are not gym headphones, at least for my size head.

I had my Harman Kardon BTs, which are not as good as my Sony, but the HK BTs had awesome clamping force, and I could exercises where my head goes horizontal and straight vertical, and no slipping off. Whereas, my sweet sounding MK2 will slip off. 

Right now, I am looking for another pair of gym phones myself, as my Harman Kardons have bit the dust.. and they are discontinued. With gym headphones, SQ is not #1, clamping force is #1, at least for me.. 

Feb 28, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #7 of 8
In my last post, I reported that my headphones for the gym were the Harman Kardon BTs. My  wife and I both have a pair..  However, they bit the dust. They still worked, but the straps and wires were not in place. Since they were 11 months old, still under warranty. However, the HK BTs are discontinued.

Harman Kardon sent me two pair of JBL S400BT, on ear and sporting aptx.. However, I hate on ear, so I quickly sold both pair, and was lucky enough to find to good used pair of Harman Kardon BTs.. 

Today at the gym, I did a set of leg raises on the  pullup/chin bar. .My  head goes horizontal and in a whipping motion. The Harman Kardon BTs stay put.  
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #8 of 8
Looks like we are not getting too much feedback/replies for the bluetooth headphones for the gym..

Well, maybe if  this mid 70 year old post up the exercises I do with the gym headphones, we might stir some interest. I am always looking to find out what works good in the gym..My flagship and best sounding bluetooth headphones do NOT work at all in the gym..They are my Sony MK2.. the Harman Kardon BTs, work perfectly in the gym, and the two warm up ab exercises that I am showing, they don't budge. Whereas, the Sony, I just have to hold my head down and they fall off.

The warm ups for the old man..  going on 75..too.. On the situps, that is a 45lb plate... :wink:

http://www.cehoward.net/stclock.wmv

http://www.cehoward.net/situps1.AVI

Users who are viewing this thread

Back