Bluetooth 5.0 or 4.2?
Apr 7, 2020 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mymail0808

100+ Head-Fier
I have Lypertek Tevi and Fiil T1X in hand. I wanna see if I can have a better overall than a smartphone by a budget DAP.Like Fiio M5 or Shanling M0, Hiby R3 pro, around this budget.

1. some people said use bluetooth actually bypassed the chipset (which produce the "good" sound) inside and use another chipset to output. is it true? in such case, can i have a "better" sound from a DAP?
2. most of the player is Bluetooth 4.0 or 4.2. only HIby have 5.0. How much difference in terms of sound quality and connection stable with these close generations of bluetooth?

Thanks

Apr 7, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 8
If I understand you correctly, you're using bluetooth earphones. In that case, it's unlikely a DAP would have any sound quality advantage over a smartphone. The main advantage of a DAP is a better DAC and more powerful amp built in, but those only matter if you're using wired headphones, they won't be used at all for Bluetooth. As for bluetooth 4.2 vs 5.0, there are some feature improvements and I think range improvements. These don't necessarily reflect better sound quality.

Apr 7, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #3 of 8
I have Lypertek Tevi and Fiil T1X in hand. I wanna see if I can have a better overall than a smartphone by a budget DAP.Like Fiio M5 or Shanling M0, Hiby R3 pro, around this budget.

1. some people said use bluetooth actually bypassed the chipset (which produce the "good" sound) inside and use another chipset to output. is it true? in such case, can i have a "better" sound from a DAP?
2. most of the player is Bluetooth 4.0 or 4.2. only HIby have 5.0. How much difference in terms of sound quality and connection stable with these close generations of bluetooth?

Thanks

1. No: what you can get instead is better reception through a different DAP, and thus achieve higher bitrates and less errors.
2. No sound differences: Bluetooth 5.0 did not change much for audio besides consuming less power. Bluetooth 5 now supports using Bluetooth Low Energy for audio applications, meaning that it doesn't suck as much power as it used to.

Apr 7, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 8
Does bluetooth 5.0 improve the problem with certain wireless dropouts as opposed to lower versions of it? When I watch video's they always say, " You want the 5.0 bluetooth, its a no brainer" , but why if it doesn't affect sound quality?

Apr 7, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 8
Does bluetooth 5.0 improve the problem with certain wireless dropouts as opposed to lower versions of it? When I watch video's they always say, " You want the 5.0 bluetooth, its a no brainer" , but why if it doesn't affect sound quality?

Because people frankly are don't know what they're talking about. It doesn't hurt to have a Bluetooth 5.0 headset, but 99% of the time it offers no audio benefit. It offers a benefit in that it tends to drop out less. The confusing thing is that Bluetooth 5.0 does offer a higher bitrate and range (but not at the same time): however, the audio doesn't take advantage of it.

If you want to experience what Bluetooth compression codecs does to your audio (regardless of BT version), go here:

https://btcodecs.valdikss.org.ru/sbc-encoder/

With wired headphones, you can simulate how much is actually lost. Regardless of whether it's BT5, you're still 99% going to be using SBC or AptX. BT5 does not increase the bit rate at all.

For a good read, check it out here:

https://audio46.com/blogs/headphones/do-bluetooth-5-headphones-sound-better-than-bluetooth-4-2

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #6 of 8
That looks interesting, I will definitely check it out. So is the consensus still that wired over wireless is the best way to go unless form factor and movement are of primary concern. I like the idea of not being hooked up, but how much is gained by plugging in?

Apr 7, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks all;

The smartphone I am using now has no card slot so I cannot share the card with my pioneer 300R. I know 300R shall provide better sound quality than kind of hiby R3 pro for wired earphone (am i right?) but sometime you prefer wireless joy. The drop off of 300R is quite serious and that is why I think of a new DAP. That is also why my concern also about the Bluetooth version. If 5.0 definitely has a better connection than 4.2 and it is important to me. So only Hiby R3 Pro seems to be the only choice.

Thanks again.

Apr 18, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #8 of 8
Little update;

I bought a Hiby R3 pro, good sound but not the type of Hi-Fi sound. Tuning is kind of entertaining with big bass pair with RHA T20 on sale in HK (less than USD100)
R3 Pro is Bluetooth 5.0, same as my phone Xiomi 9Tpro. But obviously that the connection is much weak with the R3 pro, no matter using Levi or T1x.
Even i take the R3 pro in hand and just naturally swing the hand, the connection is keep dropped and picked up again, less than 0.1 second I think.

is it the power of transmission matter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back