Blues with prominent SAX
Jul 15, 2007 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Moocher

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for blues groups/albums/songs with a prominent sax. Currently I listen to a lot of guitar led blues and realized the other day that I haven't heard much sax action in the music I have. I really like good blues/rock sax but don't know where to turn to find any.

Suggestions are welcome.

Mooch

Jul 15, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 6
hmmm, interesting . . . . The Blues Brothers is the only thing that comes immediately to mind, but I will ponder this and see if I can think of others. I'll also follow to see what others suggest.
smily_headphones1.gif

While not blues, one of the first thing that comes to mind when I think Sax lately is "Morphine - Cure For The Pain" more rock based, but definately sax driven.

Jul 15, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #3 of 6
Look for AC Reed and Eddie Shaw. AC Reed plays on some of Albert Collins' earlier Alligator albums like Ice Pickin and Frozen Alive. Eddie Shaw was part of Howlin' Wolf's band, though I am not sure which albums he plays on. Both AC Reed and Eddie Shaw also have albums under their own name. And of course you can look for albums by the Memphis Horns.

You could also try King Curtis, though most of his music isn't strictly speaking blues. King Curtis does play on Champion Jack Dupree's live album Blues At Montreux.

Jul 15, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 6
Dick Heckstall-Smith is a sax player who had a big contribution to British blues. Check out his cd Blues and Beyond. Another recommendation is Sinner Street by Jimmy Thackery and the Drivers. Killer guitar and sax all in one package.

Jul 15, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #5 of 6
The 1945-1955 R&B or American electric blues period featured sax on most of the small labels that recorded this wonderful music.Chess records is one of the exceptions that offered mostly guitar blues.Atlantic,Modern,King,Excello,Duke,Veejay,Spe cialty,etc,all recorded lots of sax.

Jul 16, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 6
Thank you for your help. I'll check out your suggestions. Looking at your profiles and what you wrote above, you seem like good people. I appreciate it.

Mooch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back