Blues Slide Guitar
Mar 8, 2007 at 5:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ace o' Spades

500+ Head-Fier
I found a couple of amazing videos on YouTube of some blues slide guitar. I really love the tone and flowy style of it, and I was wondering, does anyone on here play slide guitar?

I am gonna pick up a slide from guitar center (nothing to expensive, of course) to test on an old Squire bullet that I use for alternate tunings. Anyone have any tips for playing? I will use open D or open E for the tuning.

Thanks!

Mar 8, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #2 of 8
Mar 8, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #3 of 8
I like to bottleneck every now and again. I really only have luck soloing on the E strings (top and bottom). I don't ever tune for slide playing, either. I kinda follow the pentatonic scale shape a lot for some reason. It just sounds good to me. Well, I'm just a noodler anyhow. After I master the guitar, mandolin, and banjo I'll try to tackle some Dobro or steel guitar.
icon10.gif
I have a really thick ceramic slide. I think it's called "The Mudslide II" or something like that.

**Edit** Jahn, that's a great RRFB video. That song is pretty good. Did you see the Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar Festival DVD? He made "When The Saints Come Marcin' In" sound like nothing I've ever heard before. That dude can JAM!

Mar 8, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #4 of 8
Yeah, I play tons of slide. I love it. I've always got at least 2 guitars tuned to open tunings. Personally, I prefer open G but open D/E is also fun. Off the top of my head, some of my favorites are:

Son House, Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Bukka White, Rory Gallagher, Dave Hole, Johnny Winter, Eric Sardinas, Steady Rollin' Bob Margolin, Lil' Ed, Sonny Landreth, Robert Randolph, Sam Mitchell, John Hammond, Duane Allman, Corey Harris, Chris Thomas King, Kelly Joe Phelps, Rory Block, John Lee Hooker, Joanna Connor, Bonnie Raitt...I'm sure I'll think of more. I love slide guitar.

Here's a slide website with some good basic slide lessons and lots of other stuff. Check it out.

http://www.bigroadblues.com/

Mar 8, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i tried once and failed miserably. now i leave it to guys like this-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR3gM9ZhFZo

I hate to say, but that guy sucks. There is no emotion in his playing whatsoever.

Mar 8, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 8
James Burton & Ralph Mooney - "Corn Pickin N Slick Slidin" should be in every guitarist's and slider's library. More country than blues, but an instrumental classic made by 2 of the greatest session players.

Mar 8, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate to say, but that guy sucks. There is no emotion in his playing whatsoever.

you don't like the "Braying Donkey" effect?
frown.gif

btw folks, Bonnie Raitt is the Real Deal.

Mar 8, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lol. Robert Randolf sucks? Wow.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back