Blues for Beginers
Jan 28, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Takahashi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm kind of shocked there is no mention of Taj Mahal up on here, he has some pretty good stuff.

Well, here's the thing: While I'm sure the OP appreciates all of the suggestions here, what was specifically asked for is music comparable with Eric Clapton and Led Zeppelin, which is why on first blush Taj Mahal (and Stevie Ray Vaughn, for that matter) would never enter my mind. Mahal's music can be brilliant, but as a blues revivalist who came to prominence in the '60s, he's a contemporary of Clapton, not an influence or predecessor. (Stevie Ray Vaughn is even younger than both, rest his soul.)

My tendency is to give folks what they ask for, but since you brought up Mahal, here's an early disc I particularly like:

the-natch-l-blues.jpg

Taj Mahal - The Natch'l Blues

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #17 of 31
Start with the Kings. BB, Albert and Freddie.
A good number of people (Clapton, Robert Cray,Keith Richards to name but 3) just copied them.
If you like them then go to the British Blues guys such as John Mayall, Peter Green, Rory Gallagher.

Hope this helps.

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, here's the thing: While I'm sure the OP appreciates all of the suggestions here, what was specifically asked for is music comparable with Eric Clapton and Led Zeppelin, which is why on first blush Taj Mahal (and Stevie Ray Vaughn, for that matter) would never enter my mind. Mahal's music can be brilliant, but as a blues revivalist who came to prominence in the '60s, he's a contemporary of Clapton, not an influence or predecessor. (Stevie Ray Vaughn is even younger than both, rest his soul.)

My tendency is to give folks what they ask for, but since you brought up Mahal, here's an early disc I particularly like:

[Image removed]

Taj Mahal - The Natch'l Blues

I agree with you, and I did note what the OP said he wanted, but I figured it'd be something that someone would recommend. This is because Mahal's sound reflects a lot of the older blues artists while being a newer artist with a slightly different sound. That's all.

Jan 28, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #19 of 31
I reckon it depends on what 'traditional' means. If it means old school acoustic, I'd suggest Lightnin' Hopkins. Summat like this:

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

And John Lee Hooker's electric stuff would be a smaller 'step' back.

Jan 29, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he's blazing in that... but for real SRV-as-bluesman... you want something like this:

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

mm hm.

good one ... but - THAT one is not bad @ all :

Jan 29, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #21 of 31
A few great places to start:

Muddy Waters -- Hard Again. This was a major comeback for him in the late 70s. It was produced by Johnny Winter, who also plays lead on the record. This album combines the hard, loud stomp of a South Side electric band with excellent, cleanly recorded sound. Muddy Mississippi Waters Live, recorded a few years later with most of the same musicians, is also stellar.

B.B. King -- Live at the Regal. This 1964 classic is considered by some to be the greatest live album ever recorded. It showcases King and his large band (full horn section included) in front of an adoring audience. His vocals and guitar are at their absolute peak, and his chemistry with the crowd is effortless. Every track is classic, but there are particularly stunning versions of "Sweet LIttle Angel," "Worry, Worry," and "Please Love Me."

You can't go wrong with this one. If you can track down a copy of the Mobile Fidelity gold-edition CD, you are in for a treat, since the beautifully restored sound matches the excellence of the performance.

Otis Rush - Right Place, Wrong Time. Rush is one of Clapton's main influences, and this legendary album catches him at his best. Includes "I Wonder Why," a signature instrumental, on which he displays a guitar tone that could melt steel.

Albert King -- Born Under a Bad Sign. Another huge Clapton influence. The title track, along with "Personal Manager" and "Crosscut Saw" are among the best electric blues ever recorded, period. King played a Gibson Flying V, and was famous for the way he used string bends and distortion to build tension in his meticulously constructed solos. The "Personal Manager" solo is definitive of his style.

Jan 29, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #22 of 31
All we have diferent taste, choice and favorites ...

IF you want to learn a bit more about blues, you need to go from start ...

Something like:

blues01.jpg

blues02.jpg

... or - even better:

blues03.jpg

blues04.jpg

blues05.jpg

... then - after some time you gonna find the style you like the best ...

Have fun :)

Jan 29, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #24 of 31
BB King - Completely Well Released in 1969, I bought this amazing disc about a year ago and it stays in constant rotation in my cd player. It was the album that contained The Thrill Is Gone. Easily one of the greatest blues songs ever written and the whole album is awesome!!!

Jan 29, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by I Zingari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I reckon it depends on what 'traditional' means. If it means old school acoustic, I'd suggest Lightnin' Hopkins. Summat like this:

Love it.

In my book that's the real deal blues. Never been a fan of the electric, Chicago-style that became popular after WWII. The laid-back, acoustic stuff is where it's at.

Jan 29, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #26 of 31
for pioneers of blues search document records and folkways records. Both are good places for you to start. that is, if you want to discover the blues from the beginning

Jan 29, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A nice place to start would be with the blues guitarists the British blues musicians listened to back in the 60s - that would primarily be Otis Rush, Buddy Guy and Magic Sam.

Of course, Muddy Water and Howlin Wolf would be essential listens too.

As stated by posters above, Stevie Ray Vaughan is great too. I would also opt for some Michael Bloomfield as he was supposed to be America's version of Eric Clapton back in the 60s. Johnny Winter is also nice.

Glad you mentioned Magic Sam - I was going to myself. Lots of good ones up there. How about Albert King (SRV's mentor), Freddie King (Clapton's big inspiration), Albert Collins, John Lee Hooker. There are just too many. And on the Brit side, there was Peter Green too.

(And obviously I didn't read the second page of recommendations before I wrote the above - oh well).

- Ed

Jan 29, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzVinyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We caught this act the other night here in Colorado Springs....really wonderful northern Mississippi blues:

Cedric Burnside and Lightnin Malcolm

Buy the CD...you'll like!!

61SnBmgIqwL._SS500_.jpg

I didn't know about his grandson, Cedric...I will have to check him out! Definitely check out his grandfather, RL Burnside, as well as anyone at the top of the Fat Possum label's blues roster (for contemporary blues artists): In no particular order; Robert Belfour, Junior Kimbrough, Asie Payton, and others...great stuff!). Many great suggestions on the thread already, many of which I'd echo - Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Charlie Patton, John Lee Hooker, Howlin' Wolf and others. If you want to check out an amazing contemporary woman blues artist, don't miss Rory Block (I'd try, When a Woman Gets the Blues) She's won five WC Handy Awards!!! If you get a chance to see her play live do not miss it! She can rip into an acoustic guitar like to make it hang on for dear life!.

Jan 29, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by falis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad you mentioned Magic Sam - I was going to myself.

I'm annoyed with myself for leaving him out of my response. A great singer and an incendiary guitar slinger. I definitely recommend West Side Soul. A great way to hear the difference between the South Side bands (eg Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf) and West Side artists like Magic Sam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back