blues fans check these guys out. My (local) heroes.
Apr 30, 2010 at 5:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

aragornmustdie

100+ Head-Fier
Being an Indonesian, I guess I'm blessed to be able to enjoy these guys around. In my opinion, our music scene is quite happening- there are just a lot of variety and people trying different things.

By my own observation, I felt that in some ways the blues and jazz connect to us quite easily.

OK, here, hear them out:

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

This is all of them performing together. They are:

Gugun and the Blues Shelter, a blues-rock/ funk power trio. They had gained quite an exposure in the UK. Below is one of their UK performances.

Another guy is Adrian Adioetomo; as you can hear below this guy is a delta blues player. Though of course, there is a bit of Chris Whitley influence. If anybody is curious about the lyrics I'll translate it up for you (there isn't a lot of singing though).

The last guy is Rama Satria Claproth, he's got a more energetic approach, almost a metal vibe to his playing I guess.

While the vocalist in the first video is named Ipang... He officially is under his own band but he appears in a lot of other musician's recording. He's got that nice and clean Paul Rodgers-esque vocals.

Out of all of them I had to say Gugun and Adrian are my faves, especially Gugun, I've seen them play so many times. I really love seeing these people play in cafes, it has the intimate feel to it.

So what's my purpose of creating this thread? Well the first is to share good music to everybody, especially blues fans. Furthermore, I really respected these artists and hoped that this can give them more exposure.

But mainly, for the blues fans in the States/ UK who had seen, and more importantly follow and be part of the blues scene... what do you feel about them? Of course not only from the technical sides of things, but also their charisma as musicians and the emotion conveyed when they lash out those blues standards.

I really love the blues, and these guys are the closest I can get to the real thing. I'm lucky enough to be able to witness the legend who is Buddy Guy last month- definitely one of my better concert experience. He's such a storyteller with great charisma and presence- and he can really convey raw emotion. Such traits are quite rare nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back