Bluejeans-type headphone cable company
Aug 11, 2015 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

shawndo

New Head-Fier
I normally use BlueJeans Cable for everything.  I think of them the best of the non-BS cables.  

I am new to headphones and it looks like they do not make headphone cables.  (I would like to get a longer cable for my LCD-3's)  Since Bluejeans isn't an option, I am totally lost in trying to wade through the third-party cable market.  

I don't want to go down the cable-controversy (I've been around 2-channel audio for a while) but...
is there a cable brand out there that does no-nonsense, regular 'ol, low impedance copper headphone cabling with the various headphone connectors?  

I'd like to avoid braids, silver, mono filaments, etc. 

Aug 11, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #2 of 11
Good luck avoiding braids. Everyone uses braids these days.

Your best bet would be to just get an extension cable from Monoprice. They make good, cheap stuff that works and works well enough. You probably won't be able to find a non-braided cable anywhere for your LCD-3.

Aug 11, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 11
I may have come off flippant and harsh.  To clarify, I don't actually mind braids or whatever and I don't mind spending for quality, I just have nagging thing in the back of my head about not spending for the placebo when it comes to cable.  

Considering the quality I get from Bluejeans, I can't imagine a set of 15' headphone cables should cost more than $100 or so. 

Bottomline, is there a 3rd party headphone cabling brand like bluejeans?

Aug 11, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 11
You could give Luna Shop a go. Relatively cheap and built quite nicely. They do take requests for custom wire types, lengths and terminations by email so you're not restricted to what you see on their site.

Personally not a believer in "upgrade" cables, but I've bought a few due to length and termination requirements.

Aug 11, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 11
The extension idea is a good one if you don't have luck otherwise. Blue Jeans can make you an extension. Or you could get one from Ghent Audio who has decent cables for reasonable prices.

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #6 of 11

I'd like to avoid braids

Barring OEM cables with very thin straight conductors, all aftermarket cables need braiding to tidy them up, which really is the point and not SQ. And technically, even the no-BS type cables are technically "braided" (more like twisted around something in the center, but you get the idea) even before they become headphone cables - specifically, some get a quad-core microphone cable, which already has them braided on the inside, and then if they're going to be used for a dual-entry application (Sennheiser, Audezee, HiFiMan, etc), they have to strip a section off, split the conductors, and then braid them again into two pairs.

AFAIK, it's also possible that only the bigger brands like Sennheiser use straight cables; Audezee might actually have their conductors twisted around a central structure inside the jacket and shielding for example.

...I can't imagine a set of 15' headphone cables should cost more than $100 or so

Bottomline, is there a 3rd party headphone cabling brand like bluejeans?

Lunashops. Alternately, you can search on eBay and you can find cables made from StarQuad-type mic cables, or any other cables. Most custom cables tend to be shorter though so I'd focus on the StarQuad-based cables and those who sell them since they're relatively cheap and are usually bought in spools.

Note though that in the case of people who do cables as a side business on eBay part of the cost is their acquisition of the parts (which might not be in bulk prices, except maybe the StarQuads). If you bought each part individually it may add up not too far off $100. Some 50ft runs are available on eBay for around $50, but you can't get them shorter unless you buy a $25 run where you're paying for the plugs installed at either end (usually what you use on pro gear like microphones or guitars. Then if you need them for a Sennheiser the headphone side plugs are usually around $10 to $15 for the pair, plus a few bucks for the TRS plug. Add shipping on each part plus DIY work, and $100 on the extra long cable doesn't seem too much like a rip-off, even when you consider fully custom braid cables from Lunashops going for $25.

Aug 20, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #7 of 11
Just FYI, 
BJC was able to make a custom headphone cable for audeze headphones. 
Not the prettiest, but it works.  I just wanted a long one for when I want to lay back in bed. 
This 12ft one was less than $100

They just need to know the connecters and the pinouts and they can probably make it. 

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #9 of 11
  Just FYI, 
BJC was able to make a custom headphone cable for audeze headphones. 
Not the prettiest, but it works.  I just wanted a long one for when I want to lay back in bed. 
This 12ft one was less than $100

They just need to know the connecters and the pinouts and they can probably make it. 

I have similar cable sensibilities to you regarding cables.  Are you satisfied with the sound of the BJC headphone cable?  TIA.

Apr 18, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #10 of 11

Can you please post your order specs so that others can order this cable as well?

The cable BJC uses they call MSA-1.  I think this is what is pictured above.  They have a MSA-1 Special Applications Page that specifies a variety of connectors.  If those don't suit your needs, then you should contact them directly.  They will quote custom cables - the price is similar to their standard configurations.

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #11 of 11
BJC is really good, I got my HDMI cables from them, back in the old days when they were super expensive everywhere else.

Still the best HDMI cables that I own. Their cables are about as good as you can buy. Anything beyond them you are just paying for more expensive connectors, sliver/gold wire, etc. For cooper wire, you can get prettier cables but you won't find better ones.

Prices are great and they are very easy to work with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back