Blue Ray and HD-DVD on horizon--should I wait for price drops on current universals?
Nov 17, 2004 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Dimitri

100+ Head-Fier
When is the Blue Ray v. HD-DVD war supposed to start? I'm assuming current DVD-based universal players will drop in price as a consequence...Are the new players going to be here by first quarter 2005? Don't know how long I can wait...need new SA-CD source...

Nov 17, 2004 at 1:40 AM Post #2 of 15
Who knows when this whole format mess will finally get worked out and which will be left standing or even if an, as of yet, unknown format will emerge? I'd get a great RedBook source or even a vinyl rig and enjoy the tunes while the battle rages. Those are known/mature formats. JMO

Nov 17, 2004 at 2:12 AM Post #3 of 15
IMHO, you should choose the best Redbook source that you can. If it has SACD or DVD-A, then great, but that's just icing on the cake.

Your NS500V is already a decent SACD source, and you can always keep it around just for that. It's a very poor Redbook source though (I used to own one).

Nov 17, 2004 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 15
Blu-Ray and HD-DVD will be a long time coming... Blu-Ray will probably be to market first, but only as a high-end, early adopter, recording device. There's no company that's signed up to publish content on either format yet. Which means what will really drive sales, availability of content, won't be there for a while.

Nov 17, 2004 at 4:20 AM Post #5 of 15
Unfortunately, I forget all the details but I remember reading a few articles about this. IIRC Blu-ray recorders are already being sold in Japan (manufactured, for instance, by Sony), and go for one to two thousands dollars. I think LG is readying a unit for the U.S. in 1Q 2005. If all goes well, there should be some price competition for Christmas of next year (of both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD units). But, like lindrone says, it will be a long time before either standard becomes mainstream, like DVD players/recorders are now. Therefore, I think it will be awhile before there is any price pressure on universal DVD players.

Incidentally, Playstation 3 will be using Blu-Ray technology.

Nov 17, 2004 at 5:17 AM Post #6 of 15
I think it's still going to be at least 2 years before Blu Ray really starts to make an impact. No need to abandon redbook, DVD-A, or SACD.

Nov 17, 2004 at 7:53 AM Post #7 of 15
It is unlikely that a hi-rez format would eclipse Redbook audio--it didn't happen with SACD and it didn't happen with DVD-A. These new formats, if they are even adopted by record producers, will likely fill the same niche (and put them in competition) with SACD/DVD-A.

If you're getting a source, grab the best Redbook source you can afford. As has been said previously, anything else is just gravy.

Nov 17, 2004 at 8:11 AM Post #8 of 15
what about having a great external DAC for redbook with possibility to play both DVD-A and SACD on it as well?
smily_headphones1.gif
how that sounds to you?
wink.gif

Nov 17, 2004 at 8:17 AM Post #9 of 15
come on, glassman... hardly can't wait to see and read about your newest creation... when will it be ready?

Nov 17, 2004 at 8:26 AM Post #10 of 15
it will take some time, we're just at the beginning and we want to do it right, we have somehow paraphrased Philips's statement, ours is 'Let's Make Things Much Better'
biggrin.gif
the player we're working with and thus the one to be first supported is Pioneer DV-565A/563A.. expect something in Q1/05.. we're aiming at creating ultimate transport, period..

Nov 17, 2004 at 8:37 AM Post #12 of 15
I'm working with a colleague, doctorand at FEE CTU, yes you will definitely see Mall-Fi post once it's ready, this however won't happen anytime soon..

Nov 17, 2004 at 3:00 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
Blu-Ray and HD-DVD will be a long time coming... Blu-Ray will probably be to market first, but only as a high-end, early adopter, recording device. There's no company that's signed up to publish content on either format yet. Which means what will really drive sales, availability of content, won't be there for a while.

Actually, didn't Sony just buy MGM? I believe that speculation is that they did it to have the back catalog available to put out on Blu-Ray discs. That plus Sony has their own movies they can put out.

Anyway, the whole thing is just exhausting. Who wants to invest in a ton of SACDs or DVD-As when we don't even know what the market will be like a year from now. This whole format war hurts the big companies more than it hurts us because we can Quote:

get a great RedBook source or even a vinyl rig and enjoy the tunes while the battle rages.

It's stupid. The Sony and Toshiba syndicates should really just have gotten together at the beginning and decided on a single 2nd generation DVD format. They're just wasting money fighting this battle and they are going to scare off the consumers.

Nov 17, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman
it will take some time, we're just at the beginning and we want to do it right, we have somehow paraphrased Philips's statement, ours is 'Let's Make Things Much Better'
biggrin.gif
the player we're working with and thus the one to be first supported is Pioneer DV-565A/563A.. expect something in Q1/05.. we're aiming at creating ultimate transport, period..

hot news... so i'll stop further investments in my rig and wait for you guys to come out with it. a really nice feature would be a sort of optical input in your device to use the integrated/modified(?) dac for computer-based sources.

Nov 17, 2004 at 10:59 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrokenEnglish
hot news... so i'll stop further investments in my rig and wait for you guys to come out with it. a really nice feature would be a sort of optical input in your device to use the integrated/modified(?) dac for computer-based sources.

we're working on perfect high resolution digital output, not on the player's internal digital to analog cirquitry.. you can pick whatever high end external DAC you want, pair it with a player w/ our module installed and get the most out of the DAC itself and any source material (except for LP
wink.gif
)..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back