Blue Microphones announces Ella and Sadie
Jan 12, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #16 of 37
Trying to follow comparisons...  I know you disliked the P9 due to it's midbass hump on some recordings.

I believe you stated that the Beyerdynamic T5p was what you hoped the P9's would have been.

You mention "Beyer Sizzle" above; are you suggesting that the T5p ended up to your dislike, as well, and that this Blue now is the Goldilocks closed-back 'phone for you?

I think so, I just want to make sure I'm extrapolating correctly.  If so, I'd really like to hear these :)

Edit: you are talking about the Ella PM headphone, correct?

You are correct. I loved everything about the T5P's except the round earcups and treble sizzle. They have a very good soundstage, accurate bass, and very good clarity and detail, but at the end of the day, I just couldn't handle the treble.
The P9's are gorgeous, built like a tank, and have great mids and highs when you can hear them over the top prominent bass. And even though they were heavy, I found them comfortable. I wanted to keep them so bad but just couldn't rationalize paying $900 for headphones and then still having to EQ them.
These Ella's (PM) are perfect to my ears. I love them. If it were possible to make them a little lighter, that would be great, but I don't care. I love their sound and everything else about them. My only nitpick is that in order to know if the internal amp is low on power, you have to see if the faint blue LED's on the ear cups are blinking. But you can't see them when you're wearing the headphones (what's up with that Blue?).

Jan 12, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #17 of 37
   In your profile I see the PSB m4u1 that I appreciate much. Can you please make a comparison?

I loved everything about the PSB's except the comfort. They had a very balanced sound that was slightly warm to me, which is what I like. They had a very good soundstage and very good tonal balance. I can't say anything negative about them other than comfort and some microphonics.
To me, the Ella's are just better everywhere. They retrieve even more detail, have a more immersive soundstage (but also different), are more comfortable, and are also slightly warmer than the PSB's while still being close to neutral. I just love them. I'm actually hoping they don't change much after proper burn-in because I don't want the sound signature to change. I just want someone to go to work for me so I can spend more time listening.

Jan 12, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #18 of 37
Here's some more thoughts on the Ella's. They do not hide or cover up bad mixing or recordings. If you listen to Dire Straits Brother in Arms in lossless, you will get an ear orgasm. It's just incredible and immersive. But listen to Katy Perry from iTunes, and you will want to trade the headphones for earplugs. My 1540's can make almost anything sound decent. They do a good job of covering up flaws. These DO NOT.

Jan 13, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #19 of 37
How's sound isolation compared to the V-Moda M-100? Would these work well on a plane?

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #22 of 37
how does the planar version compare to the previous blue mofi in terms of sound and comfort?

Tyll has said they're more comfortable than the Mofi and Lola. I've never heard either of those. I found the clamping a little too much at first, but it's getting better with use. I've been leaving them open at night to stretch them a bit.

Jan 15, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #23 of 37
These have gotten better with some burn in and more use. The clamping force has calmed down and is now very comfortable. The highs have rounded/mellowed a little and the bass has become a tad more pronounced and distinct (all of these were already good, they're just even better now). I feel like it has shifted a tiny bit more towards the warm spectrum and just a little bit away from neutral.
Now for the best part. The soundstage has finally opened up and I must say, I'm relieved. I've always heard that many Planars suffer from a congested soundstage, like the PM3's, for example. Coming from the Shure 1540's, which I would argue has one of the best soundstages for a closed back, I was worried. The Ella's soundstage is still not as wide as the 1540's, but it's close now. Hopefully with more use, it will open up even more. I don't know. I don't have a ton of experience with Planar technology. I only know that for all the love that the PM3's get, I think they're terrible. They are dead flat boring, and have the soundstage of a pimple.

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #24 of 37
Anyone know how these compare to the HiFiMan HE-500? I also own the PM-3, and I know the (banned?) user here dislikes them. I like them, but they are a tad narrow soundstage-wise and are missing a little treble.

Feb 5, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #26 of 37
Nothing?

Feb 14, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #29 of 37
http://www.pcmag.com/review/351456/blue-ella

https://headphonereview.com/over-ear/blue-ella-review/

I actually bought shurealltheway's pair and I am thoroughly pleased with them (especially at the price I got them at :wink: hehe). One of these days I'll get around to writing a proper review but in the meantime here are my impressions:

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/5prbm7/wore_my_ats_for_6_years_til_the_pleather_peeled/ 

tl;dr they're wonderfully fast and accurate, the Amp+ mode adds versatility genre-wise, I don't have the same complaints about volume as shurealltheway and find the volume to be more than enough when amped, sound doesn't leak at all, sound stage is wide enough that I simply get lost in the sound. I teared up to several of my favorite tracks on my first day of owning them :') the only complaints I have are that weight can become an issue with pressure on the top of your head after several hours, and the pads aren't replaceable.

I'm super excited to be getting my first DAC/amp in the mail on Wednesday, the LH Labs Geek Out V2+, been listening on Tidal and overall I'm SO glad to have made the investment and taken the plunge with these, and skipping past the stage where others bumble around upper-mid-fi cans. I'm not much of a help when it comes to direct comparisons but a local audio store has a wide selection of open-back planars so one of these days I'll swing by to do some A/B testing.

Feb 17, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #30 of 37
What do you guys think, should I get Ellas or wait for MrSpeakers Aeon? I have found Ella here down under for about $900 while Aeons are months away and will cost $1,200. Currently love listening to my Oppo PM-3 and Meze 99 Classic but I'm looking to get a better closed planar magnetic headphone. Always listen to my music on the go so open hps are out of question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back