Blue Jeans vs Monoprice
Feb 1, 2010 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

David.M

500+ Head-Fier
i need to buy a digital coaxial wire since I'll be upgrading my dac soon

but i dunno if i should go for the $15 cable from Blue Jeans or the $1 cable from Monoprice.

i did buy the white/red rca cable from monoprice a while back and i think they are decent + well shielded , but would the BJ cable provide me with better SQ?

Feb 1, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #2 of 34
the $1 will be fine, i bought a similarly priced optical (£1) and it works perfectly
tongue.gif

though at that price if you bought the BJ one you could get the monoprice to compare
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: looking at the monoprice site they are CHEAP! :O wow!

Feb 1, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #3 of 34
Monoprice ftw.

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #4 of 34
It's not about sound quality. You get better build quality and reliability with the Blue Jeans, and that may or may not matter for your application.

I like Blue Jeans because the connectors/terminations always fit perfectly, and they never come loose from the cable upon repeated plugging/unplugging. I do have lots of monoprice cables, you can't beat the prices, but there are a few places where the better build quality matters (such as the better tolerances on the mini-plug connectors, where fit can be finicky on some devices).

Feb 1, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 34
Blue Jeans hands down has generally higher quality cables. I've purchased from both quite a bit and prefer wiring/cabling from BJC. Monoprice is good for other odds and ends.

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #7 of 34
Look at it this way: the monoprice cables can fail 15 times before you even equal the money you've spent on one of the "boutique" cables. How likely do you think that is to happen?

"Don't believe the hype." :wink:

Feb 2, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by islewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like Blue Jeans because the connectors/terminations always fit perfectly, and they never come loose from the cable upon repeated plugging/unplugging. I do have lots of monoprice cables, you can't beat the prices, but there are a few places where the better build quality matters (such as the better tolerances on the mini-plug connectors, where fit can be finicky on some devices).

I've never had a Radio Shack or Monoprice cable fail. Just RCA cables though. I've also bought HDMI cables from Monoprice, but they aren't plugged and unplugged, so I wouldn't expect them to fail. I recently bought a pair of TRS-XLR cables from Monoprice, but I haven't used them yet.

Feb 2, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #9 of 34
The Belden 1694a cable from BJC is probably your best bet.

Feb 2, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #10 of 34
I can't be sure if it matters but BJ digital coax cables and connectors are true 75ohms where some other are not- again, it may not matter but $15 is still cheap.
And hey, people in China need to work too BTW. People one street over from you are nameless and faceless I bet.....

Feb 2, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #11 of 34
As far as SQ goes, the BJ's Belden cable is in my home rig. It out-performed the latest $300 Illuminati incarnation which shocked me. Can't speak for the monoprice. Hey, for $16, we could have a shootout.

Feb 2, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd take the Blue Jeans over anything that's just **** out of some nameless, faceless factory in China.

se

I also am xenophobic about the technology excreted by those foreign devils. That's why I don't buy any cable unless it is handwoven by an appalachian redneck, wrapped in red, white & blue cloth, and delivered via eagle.

Spontaneous combustion is unlikely in cables, but say that yours does fail - with monoprice, you could buy a replacement some fourteen times for what you're paying for at BJC. Of course, that's cold-blooded economic analysis and not faith in American entrepreneurship or quality craftsmanship which gives you the warm fuzzies. Those cost extra.

Feb 2, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also am xenophobic about the technology excreted by those foreign devils. That's why I don't buy any cable unless it is handwoven by an appalachian redneck, wrapped in red, white & blue cloth, and delivered via eagle.

I'm not a xenophobe, *******.

I avoid buying anything made in China whenever possible because I don't care to have my money helping prop up a political dictatorship (among other things).

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back