blue jeans cables
Mar 10, 2024 at 7:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ceylon103

New Head-Fier
anyoner use blue jeans cable headphone cables? the only ive used are whatever came with my headphones, in this case a pair of hifiman 400i.

i have a coupla questions:

at what price point i get clearly noticeable improvement?
what are some models of headphone cables at that point?

thanks

Mar 11, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #2 of 12
I've never used Blue Jeans Cable for headphones, but I have had some of their interconnects, S/PDIF, and HDMI cables. I used to think they were a decent value, but those headphone cables seem a little expensive to me.

That's probably about $15 worth of materials for a 6' cable. You could probably buy yourself all the materials, a decent soldering iron, and all the requisite tools for the price that they're asking for their shortest cable.

At what price could you get a noticeable improvement? At no price point. So long as it's the right cable for the job and isn't broken in some way, all cables should sound the same.

Mar 11, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #3 of 12
I've never used Blue Jeans Cable for headphones, but I have had some of their interconnects, S/PDIF, and HDMI cables. I used to think they were a decent value, but those headphone cables seem a little expensive to me.
gotcha
That's probably about $15 worth of materials for a 6' cable. You could probably buy yourself all the materials, a decent soldering iron, and all the requisite tools for the price that they're asking for their shortest cable.
i have the gear and the ability but not the time. so i will buy.
At what price could you get a noticeable improvement? At no price point. So long as it's the right cable for the job and isn't broken in some way, all cables should sound the same.
im not concerned with what should be, but very im interested in what is.

please excuse me, @megabigeye. i sure appreciate your response. im at square one of this.

Mar 11, 2024 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 12
My favourite thing about Blue Jeans Cable by far is the absolute beat-down he laid on Monster Cables when they tried to extort licensing money out of him via a threatening legal demand.

Mar 12, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #6 of 12
Mar 12, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #7 of 12
gotcha

i have the gear and the ability but not the time. so i will buy.

im not concerned with what should be, but very im interested in what is.
I'll rephrase: as long as it's the right cable for the job and not broken in some way, all cables do sound the same.

I don't blame you for wanting to buy a cable. I just think $109 is a lot of money for 6 feet of cable (especially at 53¢/ft), 3 connectors, and 7 blobs of solder. Oh, and TechFlex, which isn't something I'd want on a headphone cable. They're not even using "fancy" connectors, it looks like they're using Neutrik and Rean, or knockoffs thereof.

Cables of a comparable length start at about $23 on eBay (it ships from China, though, so returns might be a bother). And here's another one on Amazon for $17.

Mar 12, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #8 of 12
I'd forgotten about the Monster/Blue Jeans debacle and would honestly be willing to pay a premium for that... But $109 still seems a bit ridiculous to me.

Mar 12, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #9 of 12
Mar 14, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #12 of 12
how did you come to learn this?

its how the signal gets from my amp to my headphones
By reading about people that have actually done blind tests, and, as so many audiophiles do, by "trusting my ears."

I meant buying a cable as opposed to making one yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back