Blue Ever Blue Model 1200EX impression thread!!!
Feb 21, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #16 of 25
Sure, I will post my impressions while working on review. My only concern so far is isolation, guess it's weaker than Shozy/Meze, although both are sufficient for my outdoor walks. And thank you both for pointing me to this model :)

Mar 13, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #17 of 25
So, I have finally received the package this morning. Been listeting to 1200EX from Hidizs AP100 for 2-3 hours.

The fit is very convenient, just wish it could be worn over ear. Isolation is so-so, but it doesn't seem to be much of a problem with the music turned on. And, the build quality is amazing!

As for the sound: from my really preliminary impessions, you both were right that the tonality is different from the one I am used to (MA900/ESW9/Shozy Zero, i. e. more or less warm/dark/smooth). Very clean, transparent sound, although the bass is fine and does feel present and well-defined.

Overall, a definite step up from Shozy/Meze 11 in terms of clarity and resolution, especially in mods and teble. I'm not sure if it will work with all genres for me - for example, Wham and Gregory Porter sound great and non-fatiguing, but electronica (Disclosure) may lack a bit of bass punch and treble is a bit more present than I am used to. Still, it is just too early to say and I can't say I feel any piercing or harshness.

I also got ATH-CKR10 which has more bass presence and sounds more like Shozy in terms of tonality, while also being a solid step up. So, it will probably be fair to use it as the comparison point to 1200EX since they do feel like more or less in the same class, just very different sounding. 1200EX is much more comfortable, still.

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #18 of 25
Well, here is a bit strange experience from day one: I tried 1200EX with my modded Hidizs AP100 and the experience was far from best. Mids were really fatiguing and piercing at times, so I was quite upset given the fact that AP100 is rather dark-sounding and I did not experience anything like that with other IEMs.

But, today I tried some music with Nexus 5, and thing turned so different: light, clear, neutral sound with not a hint of harshness... So, I'm starting to get into them (which is good).

Do you guys think 1200EX is source-dependant? Is sound really different for you with this model from various DAPs or smartphones?

I'll hopefully try them with HRT microStreamer and Meier ROCK amplifier, so let's see...

UPDATE: well, I switched back to Hidizs and the issue is gone... no harshness at all, light and soft yet detailed sound. Was it a burn-in? Not sure, but I'm starting to like them.

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #19 of 25
Ok, there's been a couple of months and I'm getting closer to a final opinion. Will try to come up with the review soon.

Overall, very glad to have these at my disposal. But, for me 1200EX turn out to be source dependant. While they are easy to drive, IMHO a smartphone won't do them a justice. Something with more driving power does enhance the bass, and decent level of resolution is also important.

Personally, I do like the combo with Encore mDAC which I got recently. The DAC itself is slightly warm and musical, so it provides a decent foundation for the low end and cools down the treble just a bit. So, the synergy for my taste is really good. And, the same I can say for my Meier ROCK home amp (it has more or less similar warmth to my ears).

I'm not sure if I prefer 1200EX to CKR10 - guess they're quite close in overall performance. ATH work better for bass-rich genres like electronica or hip-hop, but jazz, soul, vocal music sounds terrific on both.

And, I can add that mids are really amazing - so much new to hear in albums you know well

Jul 10, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #20 of 25
I just received my pair of 1200EXs today. Thank you Blue Ever Blue for the Head-fi discount. :)

My initial impressions are exceptionally favorable. How long do I need to burn them in for complete maturation? Initially, I am getting a bit of sibilance. Imaging and instrument separation is impressive. I have issues with mild tinnitus and with auditory figure ground, not full auditory processing issues. Some IEMs seem to enhance my tinnitus and blur music, not with the 1200EXs. I find the 1200EXs give a much more natural feel on my eardrum than usual IEMs with less pressure and confinement, more similar to listening to speakers and headphones. Maybe I am buying into their company line about their driver technology, but two thumbs up for the 1200 EX so far.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #21 of 25
Welcome to our tiny club :) Some burn-in did work for me and the sound has smoothed. What DAP are you using?

Jul 17, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #22 of 25
I am just using iDevices. I hear a v-shaped sonic signature with my iPhone 6s. Despite the v-shape with the iPhone, the 1200 EX is thoroughly enjoyable. The 1200 EX is much more even with a simple step up to an iPad Air. After about 70 hours of use, I am not sure if the 1200 EX is sibilant or just reveals sibilance in recordings. Interestingly, I cannot listen to another DD earphone after using the 1200 EX. I try others, but take them out and go back and grab the 1200 EX. I feel much less pressure on my eardrum and I notice increased instrument separation. I love the thing. It isn't just "new toy-itis" either.

I still use my Final X Massdrop Heaven III extensively. The Heaven III is a magical budget earphone. :)

Oct 18, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #23 of 25
Does anyone think the LG V30 would have trouble driving this and giving a decent sound, I've seen some comments that smartphones might not be the best choice with this, so just curious.

Oct 19, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #24 of 25
Does anyone think the LG V30 would have trouble driving this and giving a decent sound, I've seen some comments that smartphones might not be the best choice with this, so just curious.

No, I'm 100% sure that it'll be powerful enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back