Blue Dragon recabled KSC-35's?!
Mar 15, 2006 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Dizee

New Head-Fier
Wanted some information about the KSC-35 recabling that Drew is doing at Moon-Audio. As turned out, the recabling available was the cardas or black/blue dragon. The blue dragon was his advise. Including the 75 ohm resistor and a 4 feet cable, i'll be paying $100.

I want a low-key portable phone, so this seems the best thing to me. Many people say they're worth more than $30, but is this maybe a little TOO crazy?? I'm not using an amp, because my source will be in my pocket!

So, is it crazy or not??!!

Mar 15, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #2 of 17
I found it to not be crazy
evil_smiley.gif
note tho, that it is microphonic when the music isn't on, so if you find it annoying that you hear swishing noises when the sleeving touches your jacket, you might want to ask Drew for the non-rubby type of webbing. Here's a pic of mine, on a PortaPro band.
BurnBlack.JPG

Oh, and the clearance before it hits the "Y" of the cable is a bit short for my big head, so you might want to ask Drew to lengthen that portion unless you want to have the cans look like a caballero's hat drawstring.
black-flock.jpg

Mar 15, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #3 of 17
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's crazy then
biggrin.gif
Thanks for the tip on the microphonics, hadn't thought about that!
Besides, is hard to attach the ksc-35 to the portapro(2) headband? Or did Drew do that too? Looks sweet!

Mar 15, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dizee
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's crazy then
biggrin.gif
Thanks for the tip on the microphonics, hadn't thought about that!
Besides, is hard to attach the ksc-35 to the portapro(2) headband? Or did Drew do that too? Looks sweet!

nope it's easy peasy - just pop em off the clips, pop em on the band, and you're done! it's easy because Koss made the ball/joint mechanism identical between the clips and the band, so the drivers pop right in there.

Mar 15, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
nope it's easy peasy - just pop em off the clips, pop em on the band, and you're done! it's easy because Koss made the ball/joint mechanism identical between the clips and the band, so the drivers pop right in there.

Does 'pop em off' mean, pop em off FOREVER by really breaking them off, or is it possible to swith between clips and band?
Maybe i'm just a little bit too optimistic
tongue.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #6 of 17
can i be the first to say you ARE crazy
smily_headphones1.gif
i'd do a cable upgrade myself fo a couple bucks in spare parts, but not spend $100. but whatever makes you
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
can i be the first to say you ARE crazy
smily_headphones1.gif
i'd do a cable upgrade myself fo a couple bucks in spare parts, but not spend $100. but whatever makes you
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif

Well thank you
tongue.gif
. By the way, the $100 includes the phones itself and the 75 ohm resistor.
But that wouldn't mather to you, you'll still think I'm crazy
rolleyes.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Well thank you
tongue.gif
. By the way, the $100 includes the phones itself and the 75 ohm resistor.
But that wouldn't mather to you, you'll still think I'm crazy
rolleyes.gif

That'd makes two of us. I think that's a little too much to pay for a recable, unless it really and I mean *REALLY* improves the 35s.

Mar 15, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by xtr3me
That'd makes two of us. I think that's a little too much to pay for a recable, unless it really and I mean *REALLY* improves the 35s.

Is there, in your opinion, a better portable headphone that sounds better for $100?

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Wanted some information about the KSC-35 recabling that Drew is doing at Moon-Audio. As turned out, the recabling available was the cardas or black/blue dragon. The blue dragon was his advise. Including the 75 ohm resistor and a 4 feet cable, i'll be paying $100.

I want a low-key portable phone, so this seems the best thing to me. Many people say they're worth more than $30, but is this maybe a little TOO crazy?? I'm not using an amp, because my source will be in my pocket!

So, is it crazy or not??!!

Hell you should do it yourself. I recabled my portaPro's....then sold em not too long after:
Page 2 has lots of pics, and the for sale link in the first post is also good.

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #11 of 17
I've been thinking about re-cabling my KSC75's with Cardas cable. I love these headphones so darn much
tongue.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Does 'pop em off' mean, pop em off FOREVER by really breaking them off, or is it possible to swith between clips and band?
Maybe i'm just a little bit too optimistic
tongue.gif

Nope....you won't be breaking them. These drivers can be attached and removed as often as you like.

Mar 16, 2006 at 8:27 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Is there, in your opinion, a better portable headphone that sounds better for $100?

I haven't tried them but the akg k81dj are said to be awesome, and they cost < $100, so ...
besides, like I said, for me it's only justifiable if it *REALLY* improves the 35s sound. since I've never recabled, and never will, I can't tell.

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Nope....you won't be breaking them. These drivers can be attached and removed as often as you like.

That's awsome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
Hell you should do it yourself. I recabled my portaPro's....then sold em not too long after

So you were not satisfied with the result?

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtr3me
I haven't tried them but the akg k81dj are said to be awesome, and they cost < $100, so ...

Thanks for the tip, but I think they're quite ugly
tongue.gif
But tastes differ! For a phone that size, I would rather go with the ATH-ES7..

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #15 of 17
aside form the fact that the cable cost as much as the headphones I quite like my cardas and 75ohm resistor modded KSC35s. I have a pair that I made my own cable for and like it better but cardas is pretty nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back