Blu Tak mod on open cans?
Jul 1, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find your comment hilarious given that it is a mass loading product. All it has to do is be heavy, and be convenient to install (i.e. stick to a surface well) of which it does both brilliantly. It's only purpose is to increase the mass and thus reduce the resonant frequency of the surface it is applied to ... it's not rocket science. If you glued rocks to the inside of a car door it would work just as well, but would be a pain in the arse to do.

Also Dynamat isn't viewed like Bose in the Car Audio community, because i haven't heard of anyone who doesn't like it. Unless theres some super elite car audio group that hates it that i don't know about? It's not overpriced on ebay btw
tongue.gif

There are quite a few different design parameters involved in a good sound dampening product - evidently you've never installed much to take note of those qualities that are important, and those that aren't. The ones I listed are the major ones - and yes, they play a huge difference in application and selection.

There's a huge difference in the density of something like....rocks....and normal car damping materials. That's why most is a tar-based, or uses materials with the density of tar, rather than something like foam. Mass doesn't equal density - that's why lining something with lead would cause it to be much less resonant than something lined with, say, aluminum.

And unless you do all your car audio reading on SoundDomain, I'm not too sure where you came up with your ideas about Dynamat not being the Bose of car audio....try CAF, ECA, and TermPro and see what they say about Dynamat
wink.gif
Not sure what the noobs like - maybe you buy your car audio gear at Best Buy? - but the experienced guys who actually know how to weight drivers, design ABC and snailshell boxes, and find out the natural resonance frequencies of individual car cabins typically don't use Dynamat. Or even talk about it, at that.

It's an entry-level product that does a mediocre job at it's given purpose, and it extremely overpriced. Yes, even on ebay. I might not know everything about headphones, but believe me, bub, I've forgotten more than you've ever known about car audio
wink.gif

Jul 1, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good to see you make that distinction between car audio and music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Tim

Ah, I won't get in to that...suffice it to say, I think each area has its own merits that the other can't go near.

Plus, there are some extremely musical - although expensive - setups out there in cars, just like there are plenty of headphones that sound like they're

Jul 3, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonicLemming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are quite a few different design parameters involved in a good sound dampening product - evidently you've never installed much to take note of those qualities that are important, and those that aren't. The ones I listed are the major ones - and yes, they play a huge difference in application and selection.

There's a huge difference in the density of something like....rocks....and normal car damping materials. That's why most is a tar-based, or uses materials with the density of tar, rather than something like foam. Mass doesn't equal density - that's why lining something with lead would cause it to be much less resonant than something lined with, say, aluminum.

And unless you do all your car audio reading on SoundDomain, I'm not too sure where you came up with your ideas about Dynamat not being the Bose of car audio....try CAF, ECA, and TermPro and see what they say about Dynamat
wink.gif
Not sure what the noobs like - maybe you buy your car audio gear at Best Buy? - but the experienced guys who actually know how to weight drivers, design ABC and snailshell boxes, and find out the natural resonance frequencies of individual car cabins typically don't use Dynamat. Or even talk about it, at that.

It's an entry-level product that does a mediocre job at it's given purpose, and it extremely overpriced. Yes, even on ebay. I might not know everything about headphones, but believe me, bub, I've forgotten more than you've ever known about car audio
wink.gif

Great generalization there. Just because I'm 18 you assume i'm a car audio noob. You're going to have to be more specific rather then just naming forums (which i already knew about, thanks. ECA and TermPro probably have the worst forums ever, forum software circa 20th century woot), because the only reason i've ever heard against buying dynamat is it's price. In Australia the retail price of deadening is ridiculous, so when importing the price difference between products is much less after factoring in shipping (on a bulk pack of dynamat the shipping was over 45% of the total cost, and it STILL worked out cheaper then buying locally). I was just joking about the rocks btw... was just making a point the properties beyond the sheer weight/density make a pretty negligible difference.

Jul 3, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great generalization there. Just because I'm 18 you assume i'm a car audio noob. You're going to have to be more specific rather then just naming forums (which i already knew about, thanks. ECA and TermPro probably have the worst forums ever, forum software circa 20th century woot), because the only reason i've ever heard against buying dynamat is it's price. In Australia the retail price of deadening is ridiculous, so when importing the price difference between products is much less after factoring in shipping (on a bulk pack of dynamat the shipping was over 45% of the total cost, and it STILL worked out cheaper then buying locally). I was just joking about the rocks btw... was just making a point the properties beyond the sheer weight/density make a pretty negligible difference.

Well, based on you calling ECA and TermPro "horrible" forums because of old software, I might not have been far off in my generalisation. Forum layout != "worst" forum.

I don't like in AU, I live in the US, and I base my arguments accordingly
wink.gif

I've heard quite a few - very good - reasons not to buy Dynamat, and after having used Dynamat, Dynamat Extreme, B-Quiet, Second Skin, Brown Bread, and peel 'n seal in various installs (Second Skin and B-Quiet primarily in my personal vehicles), Dynamat and Dynamat Extreme don't come near to the adhesive ability of the other materials, even generic peel 'n seal, and don't decrease resonance and the like as well.

I'm not really here to qualify my car audio knowledge; rather, I was letting the other poster know that there are other, and by many considered far superior, alternatives to Dynamat.

Jul 4, 2008 at 11:48 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonicLemming /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not really here to qualify my car audio knowledge; rather, I was letting the other poster know that there are other, and by many considered far superior, alternatives to Dynamat.

And I do appreciate it. Sharing knowledge is what the internet is all about, after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back