Blu-ray + USB hard drive player?
Apr 16, 2009 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sohels

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for an affordable Blu-ray disk player that also does everything that the WD TV can do. Does such a product exist?

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #2 of 6
i don't know of any standalone players that can... just the PS3 and the HD would need to be formatted in FAT32 for the PS3 to recognize it

Apr 16, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #3 of 6
Wow, that's really affordable. Thanks for the link.

I guess they finally catch up with the Korean and Chinese market, which have been around for a long time, but they are tend to be a couple hundred of dollars and are all harddrive only though. I really don't know any that are disc and harddrive at the sametime, I don't think they would want to make one. The three popular brand for that are Tomacro, TVIX, and also neodigits which makes a wireless network HD player, I had one of their model, but their website is down, I think they went out of business. There is OPPO which supports blu-ray, but it is disc only. With blu-ray I guess you can use a software like AnyDVD to rip it into your harddrive player.

The PS3 maybe the only one I know of, but I don't know anything about the device.

I wonder how WD manage to sell their so cheap, I wonder if the image quality is good. Thanks you made my day, I've been looking for one of these for a while.

Apr 16, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 6
Those brands seem a little dicey - the WD TV on the other hand has been fairly well received. Also, they do not play Blu-ray disks.

The PS3 seems to be very fussy about video playback over USB and does not support most formats. Also, I don't think I'll be using it to play any games so its value for money in terms of a media player is not very good.

Is there no other standalone player from a mainstream manufacturer that has both the functions I'm looking for?

Apr 19, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #5 of 6
bump

Apr 20, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by sohels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PS3 seems to be very fussy about video playback over USB and does not support most formats. Also, I don't think I'll be using it to play any games so its value for money in terms of a media player is not very good.\

I have to point out, even if you only intend to use the ps3 to play blu rays its a good deal as the blu ray player in it is fabulous. (note: I would strongly recommmend running blu ray either directly via hdmi 1.3 to an amp that supports the new lossless codecs on blu ray movies (otherwise you will not have the lossless sound), or to the amp, then the hdmi video out of the amp to a video processor to the tv/projector. I'd stay away from one of these devices you're looking at to run blu ray through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back