Blu-Ray Movies, Heaphones, and Headphone Audio Equipment, ATH-M50, BD DT 770 80 ohm
Mar 31, 2012 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

forumaudio20

New Head-Fier
This thread is to decide on headphones and other equipment for watching Blu-ray movies. My first choice is the Beyer Dynamic DT 770 pro 80ohm.

The movies will be played back through an NVidia laptop to a HD TV. The headphones will be connected to the analogue HP output of the laptop. It is also a possibility to send this sound via laptop TRS output to Yamaha AV receiver portable input.  Then plug the headphones in to the AV receiver silent cinema output. The laptop can also send a 5.1 signal to the AV receiver through USB audio device with optical cable.

This setup has been tested with unampped ATH-M50  and the sound is amazing. The bass and lower spectrum sounds combine well with the other instruments in the movie soundtrack.

There a few factors that could be improved. Sometimes the background music in the movies seems a bit too soft. Sometimes I wish the classical music part from the soundtrack would be louder. I guess this includes violins, piano chords, chorus chords, guitar, etc. For example in quiet scenes where there is only dialogue with soft background music the volume must be increased to understand the background music clearly and then decreased again when the movie soundtrack gets too loud. For this reason I am always increasing and decreasing the volume during playback.

It seems a mastering problem, as the same sounds are perfectly audible at lower volumes in other parts of the movies.

Can any equipment correct this problem?

In my experience not all Blu-Rays present this problem, but has anyone actually watched all the Blu-Ray movies they own and understood every second of the soundtrack perfectly without having to increase the volume?

Are there any HP amps recommended for watching Blu-Ray movies?

Any recommended amps for watching Blu-Ray movies with the Beyer Dynamic DT 770 80 ohm?

Any other Headphones recommended for Blu-Ray movies?

Any other equipment recommended for Blu-Ray audio playback?

Will the Beyer Dynamic DT 770 80 ohm sound noticeably different than the ATH-M50?

Mar 31, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #2 of 8
If you are looking to upgrade the M50, it may be better to save some money for an AH-D2000 (assuming that you need closed, otherwise there are other options). The DT770-80 is better than the M50 in some aspects, and worse in others, but is overall most likely not a major improvement.

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for your reply.

The closed M50 have a great sound. That is why the DT770-80 seem special too. 

However, trying other great sound signatures would be interesting. 

What open headphones are recommended?

Any well recommended open HP known for performing well without a HP amp?

Apr 4, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 8
What model Yamaha receiver are you using?
So your laptop comes with a Blu-ray player?
So audio comes out of the Yamaha's USB port to an USB to optical converter, which then plugs into the Yamaha's optical input?
By chance does your laptop come with an HDMI output?

Apr 4, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #5 of 8
The DT770 Pro's, in my opinion, are an absolute upgrade to the M50's. Much better mids, much bigger soundstage, and their comfort lends well to extended listening. I don't know if you've had comfort issues with the M50's, but I can say with near-absolute certainty that you won't with the DT770 Pro's.

Apr 4, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
The DT770 Pro's, in my opinion, are an absolute upgrade to the M50's. Much better mids, much bigger soundstage, and their comfort lends well to extended listening. I don't know if you've had comfort issues with the M50's, but I can say with near-absolute certainty that you won't with the DT770 Pro's.

i agree 100%.
also just a noticably smoother sounding can to these ears.  both can seem a little bit bright at times but the 770  pro 80 is less harsh.  can't say the same for the Premium 770s though

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for your reply Purple Angel. At the moment the 7.2 Yamaha AV receiver seems a good choice. Any recommendations for an av receiver, or more specifically for a 7.2 av receiver would be greatly appreciated.

If possible this equipment would be used with a laptop HDMI output, but USB 5.1 to optical toslink is also a good option (Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB Audio System with THX SB1095 http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Soundblaster-Surround-System-SB1095/dp/B0044DEDCA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334464786&sr=8-1).

At the moment all possible configurations will be considered.

Blu-Ray playback using the OPPO BDP-93 Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Disc Player may also be considered.

Are Oppo Blu-Ray players well recommended for use with headphones?

The Yamaha RX-V667 7.2-Channel Home Theater Receiver (at yamaha site):

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v667/?mode=model#tab=product_lineup

The Yamaha RX-V667 7.2-Channel Home Theater Receiver (amazon site 389.88 dollars):

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V667-7-2-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B003P2V52M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1334464151&sr=8-4

Are there any other AV receivers that are good for use with head phones?

Apr 15, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Thanks for your reply Purple Angel. At the moment the 7.2 Yamaha AV receiver seems a good choice. Any recommendations for an av receiver, or more specifically for a 7.2 av receiver would be greatly appreciated.
If possible this equipment would be used with a laptop HDMI output, but USB 5.1 to optical toslink is also a good option (Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB Audio System with THX SB1095 http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Soundblaster-Surround-System-SB1095/dp/B0044DEDCA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334464786&sr=8-1).
At the moment all possible configurations will be considered.
Blu-Ray playback using the OPPO BDP-93 Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Disc Player may also be considered.
Are Oppo Blu-Ray players well recommended for use with headphones?
The Yamaha RX-V667 7.2-Channel Home Theater Receiver (at yamaha site):
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v667/?mode=model#tab=product_lineup
The Yamaha RX-V667 7.2-Channel Home Theater Receiver (amazon site 389.88 dollars):
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V667-7-2-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B003P2V52M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1334464151&sr=8-4
Are there any other AV receivers that are good for use with head phones?

I bought the RX-V667, but they (Electronics Expo) ended up shipping me the RX-V671, for the same price as the RX-V667.
The Yamaha RX-A700 (3 year warranty) is about 98% the same as the RX-667 (2 year warranty), they are both the cheapest Yamaha A/V receivers with the better amplifiers.
Not sure how long the warranty is for the refurb RX-A700, 12 or 18 months, the refurb RX-V667 is 12(?) months.
The Yamaha's Silent Cinema gives 5.1 surround sound for headphones plugged into the Yamaha.
Running HDMI from a laptop (or desktop) to the Yamaha is the best connection for audio (and video).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back