Blu-ray hardware question
Dec 31, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #61 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bet parties at your house are a lot of fun... you in the living room watching TV and everyone else jammed into the dining room!

My house,my life,look after your own.

Dec 31, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #62 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree with you. In fact in my opinion it's the exact opposite. Compromises must be made to some degree, merely because very few people have a dedicated home theater space. However, HT audio has come a very long way to address many problems by employing automatic level adjustment and room EQ software. In most cases you can get very acceptable results even in less than ideal conditions. If you're shooting for perfection? Well that's a different story entirely. It's like anything else audio (or video) related - if you want the best then you'll be spending a LOT of money to get there.

And if you sit of axis you will be wasting it.

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #63 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And if you sit of axis you will be wasting it.

Just admit that you never go to cinemas. I don't believe that you manage to get that one seat in the middle everytime.
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #64 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just admit that you never go to cinemas. I don't believe that you manage to get that one seat in the middle everytime.
tongue_smile.gif

I admit it,I have not been to the flicks in years,but that has more to do with keeping away from venues where large numbers of humans congregate.
tongue.gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #66 of 86
Quote:

Completely untrue.

Quote from an earlier post of yours::Compromises must be made to some degree.

Make up your mind.

Dec 31, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #68 of 86
Quote:

Quote from an earlier post of yours::Compromises must be made to some degree.

Make up your mind.

Don't play word games. My comment was made in the context of talking about the room, not multichannel audio. Room issues come into play for any audio application involving speakers. The point is that off-axis seating in a properly calibrated home theater environment listening to a discrete 5.1/7.1 channel film soundtrack is not an issue. You don't need to be in some perfect "sweet spot" to enjoy the experience or to feel the full impact of what you're listening to. This is what I was referring to in an earlier post when I spoke of mistakenly trying to apply 2 channel audiophile listening methodologies to home theater. It's not the same.

Dec 31, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #69 of 86
Quote:

For anyone who has not seen Dolby Labs speaker placement have a look and make up your own mind as to what moving of axis does to the sound.

This diagram illustrates optimal speaker placement for the entire surround system. It's not suggesting that the only seating position worth listening in is dead-center on the couch.

Jan 1, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #71 of 86
Quote:

Movie theater sound generally sucks. It's loud, but rarely balanced. I've been to screenings at the Frank Wells theater at Disney, which has some of the most advanced projection and sound in town, and although the picture is incredible, the sound still isn't as good as I get at home. Whenever you fill a big room with a bunch of soft padded people, you're going to have mediocre sound.

I wish that the focus in home theater wasn't so much on a lot of channels all around you, but rather on using a few in front in a well balanced way.

Jan 1, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #72 of 86
Quote:

You don't need to be in some perfect "sweet spot" to enjoy the experience or to feel the full impact of what you're listening to

That would be true if the people mixing the soundtracks were aiming to create a good sound for the whole room, but they usually don't. They use phase effects and digital reverbs to create a tight pocket of sound right smack dab in the sweet spot.

Jan 1, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #73 of 86
Quote:

Whenever you fill a big room with a bunch of soft padded people, you're going to have mediocre sound.

Everytime you go to the threatre or a live concert, you are in a big room filled with a bunch of soft padded people. Does that mean you only get good sound when you listen to recorded music at home?
Or maybe you want to fill the room with hard robots?
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #74 of 86
Quote:

That would be true if the people mixing the soundtracks were aiming to create a good sound for the whole room, but they usually don't. They use phase effects and digital reverbs to create a tight pocket of sound right smack dab in the sweet spot.

Please tell me where you got the information from? So you think people would invest millions of dollars to make a movie and mix the soundtrack to aim at just one person?
I don't see that and I have attended many recording and mixing sessions for feature films and TV.

Jan 2, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #75 of 86
Quote:

Everytime you go to the threatre or a live concert, you are in a big room filled with a bunch of soft padded people. Does that mean you only get good sound when you listen to recorded music at home?
Or maybe you want to fill the room with hard robots?
biggrin.gif

A live concert is about ambience and loud noise,how can you listen to the music with some dodo screaming in your ear,that plus the fact that most of the speaker systems at gigs are designed for one thing only.
Nothing beats listening to music at home,there are not many artists that sound good live.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back