Blu-Ray Audio Splicing
Aug 30, 2012 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Royal Amethyst

100+ Head-Fier
Okay so, I have a bit of an interesting proposal. I'm a major Star Wars nerd and I own both trilogies on DVD. I kind of want to get them on Blu-Ray, but some of the changes are utterly unbearable to consider. Specifically, when Vader yells "No. Noooooooo!" right as he saves Luke from the Emperor, instead of his normal, silent conflict. I feel it has more power this way. So here comes my proposal:

I plan to use MakeMKV to rip my Blu-Rays and Handbrake to encode them as I usually do with my DVD's and Blu-Rays. From what I've heard, the Star Wars trilogies have DTS-HD 6.1 audio. I'm wondering, is it possible for me to extract the DTS-HD audio losslessly, use some program to splice out the one single scene where the Emperor is torturing Luke, right as vader saves him, that ONE scene only, and add in the exact same scene audio from the DVD's AC3 audio? Then save it as DTS-HD audio and mux it back together with the video so I have Star Wars HD with DTS-HD audio without that stupid alteration? I realize that one scene will have AC3 quality audio even if the entire track is DTS-HD, but I'm sure I will either not notice it, or it will be worth it anyway.

Any ideas what kind of programs will allow me to edit DTS-HD and AC3 surround sound audio like that? Thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 13
You might look at the surrounding scenes. If there's fairly loud music crossing the cut, odds are you'll get a bump in the sound because the mixes don't match. You may want to back it up to the last previous silent spot in the track and splice the audio from there. The same goes for the out point. Another alternative is to cut in a scene or two before your insert and do a cross fade from the new track to the old one and a couple of scenes later to do a cross fade out. But that would be tricky crossfading all six tracks. It would be easier to just do a hard edit in a silent place.

It helps to do your edit in the fraction of an instant before a loud quick sound effect.that can hide your cut.

Aug 31, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 13
Yeah don't worry, the scene where the Emperor is torturing Luke is preceded and followed by the music and scenes from the Battle of Endor so it'll be pretty easy to hide the change.
My main concern is what program I should use to convert a DTS-HD MA track and an AC3 track into multiple WAV files, do the editing, and then save them all together again as DTS-HD.

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 13
On a Mac I would use Final Cut Pro

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #8 of 13
You should be able to make multichannel mono .wav tracks on a mac with VLC: use the export/transcode wizard and the transcode save to option. Personally, I'd try to use Apple's Soundtrack for the editing but Audacity is free and should open the multitrack monos to edit. Getting back out to DTS I don't have an answer for- I'd use Apple Compressor to make a AC3 file.

Sep 2, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #10 of 13
That's why I suggested Final Cut Pro.

Sep 2, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #12 of 13
Ha! I KNOW I don't!

Sep 3, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #13 of 13
If youre planning on watching this on your computer, you could save it as a multichannel FLAC file, that would be easy and still lossless. As for encoding to loss DTS HDMA, i have no idea what encoder would let you do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back