Blu Ray 5.1 (Dolby Headphone) Possible on Xonar Essence STX?
Aug 14, 2013 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

KonaBear

New Head-Fier
Hello Forum,

I noticed that there does not seem to be a dedicated thread to Blu Ray audio through the Xonar STX, so here it goes!

Just got ordered a blu ray drive for my pc and am excited to start watching HD audio/video movies on my pc.  The real kicker is that I do not completely understand the implications of the STX not being "DTS compatible".  Does this mean it can only play Blu Ray movies in 5.1 if and only if the disk uses Dolby?  My goal is to use dolby headphone and 7.1 virtual speaker shifter on Xonar Audio Center to create the virtual surround sound effect on my headphones.  Obviously, it is important that the source blu ray initially have 5.1 capabilities, but then does it matter if it is in DTS or Dolby when using my Xonar STX?

Aug 14, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 4
The Cyberlink PowerDVD can handle all the Blu-ray audio (DTS & Dolby) formats, I paid $30 for Powerdvd 11 (on eBay).

Aug 16, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #3 of 4
Okay, sounds excellent.  Did you notice that the quality of the Blu Ray was sub par when playing through PowerDVD?  I tried the PowerDVD 13 Ultra Demo and my video quality was worse than a ripped copy of my personal blu ray movie.

Aug 16, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Okay, sounds excellent.  Did you notice that the quality of the Blu Ray was sub par when playing through PowerDVD?  I tried the PowerDVD 13 Ultra Demo and my video quality was worse than a ripped copy of my personal Blu-ray movie.

I believe I've always had good video and audio quality when using PowerDVD 11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back