Blown Tweeter???
Jul 23, 2013 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DjZelous

New Head-Fier
I own a pair of good old dynaco a-25 speakers, i love those speakers, but as you can tell by my user name, im a dj. yesterday im in the middle of mixing and i hear my music sounds quite muffled, turns out the left tweeter stopped working, after about 2 mins. it starts working again but stopped a few seconds after, i don't think i blew the tweeter, i think i blew a capacitor or somthing like that. can anyone help me out?

Jul 23, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #2 of 5
when it does play does it sound distorted at all? I'm no expert on speakers but it sounds like it's a wiring problem.  Try using an app/website to play a higher frequency and see if that cuts out.

Jul 24, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 5
Dynaco don't give a cross-over frequency for the A25s but as linglingjr says get an app of say 3KHZ upwards and feed it through your audio output to the  speaker that's faulty. If you can borrow a audio oscillator so much the better feed that through your amp to the faulty speaker..  Dynaco changed the spec on the A25 several times it started off in 1969 with 4 OHMS input impedance but changed to 8 OHMS . Wattage was =35W DIN Dynaco recommended using an   output fuse on the amp [not something I like as it would "pulse" with changing current]  . If it turns out the tweeter is blown click on--The Morel  Co.com Who you will be pleased to hear have an exact replacement for it and others in the range. 

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #5 of 5
Tweeter blown -It is highly unlikely that the series capacitor has blown to do that it must have a much higher voltage through it than the WORKING voltage --stamped on the side and they usually if good quality - have a high working voltage. Maplins[UK ] have them with a working voltage of -600V never usually be reached by an amp-But you never know.No its "Tweeter blown. Now contact www.morel.com. who have EXACT  replacement . Never listen to anybody saying--"try this tweeter" etc. Your Dynaco speakers   like everybody else are TUNED by the DESIGN of the cabinet. There is NOT -"one fit all"loudspeakers or tweeters replacement no matter who says what! --Just to be 100-% sure take off the back using an  ANALOG Multi meter tap onto the output from the cap OR tap onto one tag of the tweeter with a signal going through it you should see a meter deflection on the AC range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back