Blown out driver - headphone repair and remaster
Feb 26, 2013 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

LaPierre

100+ Head-Fier
The title of this thread is a bit silly, but anyway.. I'm new to DIY and I have some Audio Technica headphones well, had but that's exactly why I'm going to ask if there's anyway I can repair the drivers, because I believe they 'blew out'. The left driver is working fine, but the right driver is noticeably distorted and I noticed a visually difference on the glue on the magnet behind the driver (It's all bubbled and peeled off). Can someone tell me if this is fixable? Thanks. There's more I'll ask later, but for now I need to know that.

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 4
First thing I would do is contact Audio Technica and see if they sell replacement drivers, then if you're comfortable with the disassembly, simply replace the defective driver with the replacement. If the glue itself is visibly bubbled, then that's usually a sign that the voice coil overheated, usually that results in a broken wire but apparently not in this case as there's still sound coming from that driver. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do besides contacting the manufacturer for replacement parts.

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 4
I appreciate the advice, but those headphones are long gone. I totally deserved it though, I was using my Pro 700 mk IIs like speakers, showing off their ability to go extremely loud. 
blink.gif
 It's remarkable how stupid I was.

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 4
Even if they could be repaired, there would probably be a mismatch between the two channels. Really not worth the time and money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back