Blown drivers on beyer dt770 pro 80
Feb 11, 2014 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

v65vzfe

New Head-Fier
I'm on my second pair of Beyers in a week. I ordered my first pair from hitechdirectco on eBay and since I was on my way out for the day, I left them plugged into my nexus 7 so they would burn in for a few hours. When I got home I plugged them into my HTC one and immediately notice that the right side sounded like it was rattling. I emailed the seller and they sent me back a replacement pair after I shipped out mine. Now two days later my left side sounds like it's rattling. I'm assuming it's a blown driver. Is it common for these headphones to blow out divers unamped? I listen to hip hop and rock and bought these because I read they were bassy and built like tanks. I already have an fiio e11 on the way but with these things blowing out without an amp maybe I should have bought something else? My old jvc ha500s always handled everything I threw at them. Am I causing harm by running them unamped? Any insight would be appreciated.

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 16
Man that sucks , I can relate since I have had driver issue recently not with the Beyer though
It's not that common with Beyer's , it could be hair doing that , take the pads off and remove the felt against it, gently blow the membrane to remove any residue causing that rattling

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #4 of 16
Looks like that didn't work. I'll probably email the seller tomorrow and return them. I'll be buying some trusty JVCs for my next pair but probably the rx900s (that was the original plan anyway) I can't believe how easily these drivers are damaged and how much praise these headphones get. Maybe I got two bad pairs of their headphones?

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #5 of 16
Just wondering if others have had problems so early on with these headphones? I read a thread about hair on the driver but after only 2 days of use I doubt that's the problem and even if it is, who wants to keep cracking their headphones open every few days for this issue? I have very short hair so it's not like it's all over the place.

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #6 of 16
Just wondering if others have had problems so early on with these headphones? I read a thread about hair on the driver but after only 2 days of use I doubt that's the problem and even if it is, who wants to keep cracking their headphones open every few days for this issue? I have very short hair so it's not like it's all over the place.

See if you can get another replacement , there are two ways the hair can get inside -

1) After intense use for months and months some residue could enter
2) Assembled in a dusty environment but with Beyer I highly doubt it

Replacing should be the best way out , good luck :)

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #7 of 16
Probably you should contact Beyer directly. Being an established company, they might look into your issue.

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #8 of 16
I've had many Beyerdynamic Headphones and none have ever blown a driver. Maybe try a different retailer. I've had:

DT770 Pro 250ohm
DT880 Premiums 600ohm
T1 600 ohm
DT 990 600ohm

Feb 12, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #10 of 16
I've had many Beyerdynamic Headphones and none have ever blown a driver. Maybe try a different retailer. I've had:

DT770 Pro 250ohm
DT880 Premiums 600ohm
T1 600 ohm
DT 990 600ohm

You think the retailer could be sending me duds? I would think new beyers would be the same no matter where they come from. One thing I've noticed on top of the box is that there seems to be a small label that is on top of the box that has been missing both time. Does Beyer sell refurbished cans?

Feb 12, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #11 of 16
I think it's totally possible. Since I've never had that problem.

Feb 12, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #12 of 16
I've owned all the impedance levels that Beyerdynamic offers with the dt770, even the 32 ohm version.

Never have I had that issue -- then again I only buy direct from them.

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #14 of 16
  Just googled the sellers name and came about this thread. 2 days ago this thread started. Thanks for the heads up OP. I'll choose another seller.

Just wanted to update this thread. I ended up getting a refund on the headphones. I exchanged them twice and always had problems with all three pairs. I have to say the seller was pretty good too work with even though I did get crap headphones. I'm buying some sol republic Master tracks off amazon. They seem to be super comfortable and are a basshead type headphone.

Sundown, the seller has changed their name to musician deals. Just fyi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back