Blown away by K701, HD650's may be looking for new home
Dec 18, 2008 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

jimmyjames8

500+ Head-Fier
I just got my K701 late yesterday, played one cd thru it B4 listening and then gave a listen. Wow, this is pretty good. Going thru a pile of Cd's listening to choice cuts, SpyroGyra and Yellowjackets Xmas Cd's, McCoy Tyner Guitars, new Dave Holland. Pullout the HD650, let it burn for an hour, come back listen to same tracks thru it. Bass sounds bloated and wooley. K701 bass taught and crisp. Highs more articulate, detailed, crisp. These might be keepers. Hearing things on these cans that I cannot hear on Dt770. Thinking HD650 and Woo 3 w/Nos Tungsol might not be simpatico even if the HD650 is the can supposedly used to voice the Woo 3. Too much gain me thinks for the HD650.

Dec 18, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 38
Now that what I call we have different ears.
I haven't touched my balanced K701 for a least 1 month. They are still under my bed.
I use the HD650 almost everyday
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, it's great that you've found your favorite phones.

Dec 18, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #3 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't touched my balanced K701 for a least 1 month. They are still under my bed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Erm... want to sell the 701?
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #5 of 38
There are very few people I know who would prefer the K701 to the HD650, so you are a rarity around these parts.

Still, only you know what you like, and if you do truly like the K701 better, than that's a keeper.

I was put off by the K701's artificially 'large' soundstage. It didn't sound right to me.

Dec 19, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #6 of 38
I would give it some time before making the big decision, unless you are in a rush. The object is not to be able to hear exactly what McCoy Tyner is humming while he is playing. The object is to hear what he is saying with his piano...

No question that the K701s tune you in to hearing things you've never heard before. But at the same time, I found they missed the big picture which was "What the musicians are saying with their instruments". I found they just don't present a full musical picture very well.

Listen to some cellos, conga drums and Dave Holland's bass. Listen for the resonance and weight of the wood behind the initial note. If your Senns sound really "bloated and wooley", you might just have them too loud trying to match the details of the K701s.

The K701 might just be the ticket for you, but give them a week or so before you sell anything.

Dec 19, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #8 of 38
Take your time making the decision - there's another current thread about how people always end up coming back to the HD600/650 after trying everything else.

I did.........
frown.gif

Dec 19, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #10 of 38
I recently discovered I currently prefer listening to the HD600 over the HD650. I have heard the K701 with the woo audio 3 about a year ago, and thought they were not bad with it. The HD650 was also decent with it, but I believe I thought it was less crunchy and involving. The HD650 is not nearly as neutral for sure.

My audio memory of that moment is pretty weak though, I only remember it specifically because I tested my equinox cable against another HD650 with stock and I don't even think think the two HD650s would have sounded the same with the same cable. If you even want to see if you have the same conclusion with the M^3, your pretty close. I'll probably get a chance at the southern canfest to listen.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #11 of 38
I tried to force myself to like the K701 for the four months or so I owned them, but after I heard the ER4P/S and KSC75, I found no reason to keep them any longer.

Indeed, that artificially huge soundstage and the fact there is no weight to any of the instruments really threw me off every time.
frown.gif

But hey, different strokes for different folks, so congrats on finding your favorite kind of sound signature!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #12 of 38
Are you sure you had the amp to pull off the 701 at the time? Or maybe your amp wasn't synergizing?

Dec 19, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

x2. I have had my 701's for quite some time, albeit not balanced, and I recently got the 650's. I thought I loved the 701's but man the 650's are something else. I mean don't get me wrong I love my 701's and would never part with them but wow the 650's impressed me, ALOT! The only big 3 senns I never liked were the 600's, go figure. Awesome though congrats on the 701's great cans none-the-less.

Dec 19, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #15 of 38
Another one for team AKG!
J/K.

I also <3 the 701s and I'm glad you were able to find a can that you really liked. Also said before, unless you dislike the 650s for some reason or need the money, you may as well keep both, because they are both just tools that offer different views into your music.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back