Blocking out as much noise as possible (Etymotic phones)
Jan 28, 2006 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

CaspianPH

Head-Fier
So they fit very nicely, but, on the trains, outside, wherever that isn't my quiet room, i lose quality...soooo...can i just counteract this by putting ear foams behind the earphones to block out as much noise as possible?

I don't have any foams to try this out with right now, so I thought i'd ask.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 20
um, what model of etymotics are you using? it sounds like you're not inserting them deep enough. with properly fitting eartips you should pretty much only be able to hear the music you're playing regardless of whether you're on the train or in your room etc.

Jan 29, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 20
You aren't inserting them properly. Refer back to the instruction manual that came with your Etys. There is no way the isolation varies in the way you describe. I am a long time user of Etymotic and I firmly believe that good insertion technique is a must for all Ety users. Open your mouth and pull back your ears when inserting to straighten the canal. Then, be brave and push them right in.

Are you using the tri-flanges or foamies?

Jan 29, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #4 of 20
I just wet my ears a bit with water with my pinkies and the seal is great. Someone suggested Debrox as a sterile substitute.

But if you insist on a secondary seal for your buds then perhaps you can use a set of sealed cans over your IEM.

Jan 29, 2006 at 10:11 AM Post #5 of 20
Oh my goodness...you mean they go in deeper?????

They're the ER6's

And now i'm gonna go and insert them in deeper...

left my manual at my sister's place...alll the way on the other end of the city.

Shiiiizer...I can't believe this...they go in deeper?...I'm rather excited at the chance for an even better listen...but not so excited about the pain i'm about to feel.

Wish me luck...oh please i hope it's not too painful

Thank you all who responded.

EDIT: I'm using the tri-flanges...wanted to try out the foamies but theyre at my sister's place.

Jan 29, 2006 at 10:32 AM Post #6 of 20
Well, I just came back from the basement,

It hurt a little bit, but not as much as I expected. I couldn't really tell if there was a difference. They were a lot harder to take out this time--I have long nails too.

I'm gonna go google to see if there's any instructional pictures on inserting tri-flange tips into the ears.

Thanks, you guys

Jan 29, 2006 at 10:50 AM Post #7 of 20
Don't ram them in there. Wet the IEMs or your ears first and insert gently. The important thing is that they seal. The triflanges kinda form a vacuum. Once inserted, if you tug on them gently they should feel like they're held in by this vacuum.

It took me a long time to get used to them. I give them a quick suck and insert with a slight twisting motion. Inserting at the correct angle can make a lot of difference too.

Don't hurt yourself.

Jan 29, 2006 at 10:51 AM Post #8 of 20
They shouldn't hurt. You are shoving them in too deep perhaps and air begins to compress. Air shouldn't be made to compress . Wet your pinkies and then your ears. Slide them in slowly while stretching an ear. The moment you feel a complete seal (like a sensation that air is beginning to compress) stop. That's all the seal you are going to get.

Jan 29, 2006 at 12:15 PM Post #10 of 20
Wetting the ear is ok. Do the pulling up over the head as described in the manual, open your mouth wide, and gently *twist* the Etys in. Do not "ram" them in.

Jan 29, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #11 of 20
I use Etys with the triple flange. It should probably take you 10 to 15 seconds to insert each one. You'll want to wet the inserts slightly, especially if the inserts are new. Push them in gently. I press mine all the way in as far as they'll go. They eventually will stop because your ear canal becomes too narrow to allow them to go any further. Don't worry, you won't damage your ear drums. When the Etys won't go in any further, you should have perfect isolation making you almost completely deaf to outside annoyances.

Jan 29, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #12 of 20
Thanks again very much for the info

My right ear actually hurts for some reason...left ear doesn't. I guess I'm not getting the seal right either, because I can hear my fingers snapping when I snap them.

And yeah, I was ramming them in too , I think. Lesson larned.

Jan 29, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #13 of 20
Foamies are an easy albeit expensive solution over the long run.

Jan 30, 2006 at 12:26 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaspianPH
Thanks again very much for the info

My right ear actually hurts for some reason...left ear doesn't. I guess I'm not getting the seal right either, because I can hear my fingers snapping when I snap them.

And yeah, I was ramming them in too , I think. Lesson larned.

If you snap your fingers, I think you'll detect something with or without a good seal. But if you rub your fingers together next to your ear, you shouldn't hear anything at all, which means you have a good seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back