blocking out air conditioner noise
Apr 25, 2009 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

nycbone

100+ Head-Fier
Summer is just around the corner and my primary listening room has a window air conditioner about 8' from my head that gets a pretty good workout. I'm looking for recommendations for sealed headphones that will block out most (all?) of that noise.

From the data provided by Headroom, it seems that 10dB of isolation is typical for sealed cans - so that should reduce and external noise by ~1/2. Can I do better?

I have an interest in the AKG K270 MK II, but would appreciate other suggestions for headphones that are priced similarly. I listen primarily to modern jazz (definitely not a bass head). My SR125i are great when it's quiet.

I'm not interested in IEMS as they are not my cup of tea (though I suffer with the RE2 while commuting).

Thanks.

Apr 25, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 4
Well I auditioned some HD 280s one time and they certainly block out a LOT of noise. They also lack most things bass. Unfortunately I was so distracted by the lack of bass at the time that I didn't notice anything else about the sound, 'cept that it was cold cold cold.

Might wanna look into those.

Apr 25, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 4
I'm supposed that you're accustomed to the Grado house sound? Just a side note, anything sealed/closed headphones will sound "congested" compared to the Grados or any other open style headphones.

I don't think it's 100% possible to achieve a total noise cancellation, even at ~10dB passive isolation, you shouldn't be able to hear any audible external noise when you start to play music through a closed headphone.

I would suggest the Denons or BeyerDynamics. They get praised for having exceptional bass. That should counter the air conditioner.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm supposed that you're accustomed to the Grado house sound? Just a side note, anything sealed/closed headphones will sound "congested" compared to the Grados or any other open style headphones.

I don't think it's 100% possible to achieve a total noise cancellation, even at ~10dB passive isolation, you shouldn't be able to hear any audible external noise when you start to play music through a closed headphone.

I would suggest the Denons or BeyerDynamics. They get praised for having exceptional bass. That should counter the air conditioner.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yup. I'm accustomed to and really like my Grados, but I'm not expecting to replicate the sound with sealed/closed headphones.

Which Denon/Beyers would you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back