Blockhead dual mono volume pots?
Sep 12, 2003 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ricks584

New Head-Fier
I'd like to keep this amp in mind for a future, go for broke purchase. But I don't like at all the idea of dual mono volume controls. I've used preamps set up this way in the past, and hated it. Anyone have any comments? Perhaps, when ready, I should call Headroom about making a change in my unit?

Sep 12, 2003 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by ricks584
I'd like to keep this amp in mind for a future, go for broke purchase. But I don't like at all the idea of dual mono volume controls. I've used preamps set up this way in the past, and hated it. Anyone have any comments? Perhaps, when ready, I should call Headroom about making a change in my unit?

I don't think there's an easy way to have a single volume pot on a blockhead - it may involve quite extensive modification that they may or may not be willing to do for you. Another suggest is the stepped attenuators - aside from being a better way of volume control (sound wise) - it would be far easier to keep both channels at the same volume level (ie: move both up 5 notches or whatever).

-dd3mon

Sep 12, 2003 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 17
the two parts of the blockhead are completely separate behind each faceplate, hence the extra xlr cables needed in the back if you wish to use crossfeed.

multi-channel dact stepped attenuators exist, but then you'd have just one volume control and the amp would be uneven (aesthetics count). also you'd have to drill through the main chassis to run wires from one unit to the next. sounds like a really bad idea to me. also, going pots on a blockhead is just silly. i don't even know why they offer it.

of course, the whole idea of buying a blockhead is silly to me, since a gilmore/omega2 system can be had for around the same money, and it completely destroys it in terms of transparency, detail, immediacy, giving an actual soundstage, etc.

Sep 13, 2003 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 17
Here's an interesting idea. Set the blockhead's volume levels perfectly matched using a dB meter. Then put a rubber band over both knobs. if you can figure out how to turn them carefully, they should move as one?

Sep 13, 2003 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 17
jefemeister- Somehow I would hope that an electrical engineer for Wadia would be able to come up with a little more elegant solution than that!
frown.gif
Seriously, I've considered similar solutions in the past with my dual mono preamps. (I guess one must truly be an "enthusiast" when one seriously considers modifying an expensive preamp with a rubber band.)

Sep 13, 2003 at 1:37 AM Post #6 of 17
Why not get the 2 stepped attenuators and count clicks? What's $500 when you are soending this kind of money?

Sep 13, 2003 at 2:17 AM Post #8 of 17
Well,

You could just shell out the extra $555 for the stepped attenuator model. Or install 2 digitally controlled motors to turn both knobs simultaneously via remote. That would have to be some damn accurate servos though.

Rubberbands are cheap and easy.

Cheers,
Jeff

Sep 13, 2003 at 3:14 AM Post #9 of 17
As the owner of a Blockhead with the stepped attenuators, I've just got to say that they are not a problem or pain in the nether regions. Just count clicks and forget them.

In the '80s I owned an Audible Illusions pre-amp with dual volume pots. Those caused problems as I was never absolutely sure that the volume controls were set right.

I would not own a Blockhead without the stepped controls. Headroom goes to a lot of extra effort on these by tearing apart the units they buy, and then rebuilding them to their exacting standards. I truly think they are worth the extra $.

If you like the dynamic sound, these are among the best setups out there. IMHO They are really only held back by the HD600s, which are really not worthy of the amplifier. I have high hopes for the HD650 though.

In the meantime there is always the R-10, and a Melos in the works.

Sep 13, 2003 at 4:03 AM Post #10 of 17
And why counting clicks, they do not have any mark on the knob....if not, why not making one with a marker or so?

Sep 13, 2003 at 4:08 AM Post #11 of 17
in my dual stepped attenuator setup, i ended up counting clicks like once. anytime after that it's maybe one up or one down at a time, since i just keep the amp on.

Sep 13, 2003 at 5:47 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by smokey
Yeah, what Grinch said.

I do most of my listening by the glow of a computer monitor, and markings on the front of the amp are unnecessary.

Not on the amp, I mean....on the knob
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Sep 13, 2003 at 7:38 AM Post #14 of 17
I'm sorry, I misunderstood your original comment.

There are cutouts along one edge of the knobs, that you can easily feel in the dark, and see in the light. These will indicate the relative level of the output of the amp.

Sep 13, 2003 at 7:46 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by smokey
There are cutouts along one edge of the knobs, that you can easily feel in the dark, and see in the light. These will indicate the relative level of the output of the amp.

what i think me and smokey were trying to say, is that even though there is a pointed side of the knob that shows volume, the clicks are very small and it's not always easy to tell when they are perfectly even.

i count up like five on each side, then tweak one or two on my amp. works well and everything stays even as long as i do them both at the same time. sonically, i find stepped attenuators to be a lot better as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back