Blocked clogged feeling in ear
Jun 26, 2022 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Artmuzz

500+ Head-Fier
I have listened to music using Bluetooth true wireless IEMs for a few years now with no problems. However just recently I bought myself a pair of Sennheiser momentum 2 true wireless IEMs and today I used them to listen to music while going for a walk. I had to twist them into position in my ears to get a good seal and the music wasn’t too loud.

When I got back home and took the IEMs out my ears my left ear felt blocked and clogged and my hearing in that ear is a bit muffled. Hours later I went to bed and woke up in tne middle of the night with high pitched tinnitus as well as the blocked feeling in my left ear. I am now worried.

Could it be possible that by twisting the IEM in my ear that I’ve dislodged ear wax into the back of my ear. I am also wondering if this could be stress related as I suffer anxiety and depression.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 9
The best advice you are going to get in an online forum: Please go to a doctor and get checked.
Now for the seasoned Head-fier guess: Likely some built up earwax shifted and is now partially clogging your ear canal. You can get ear drops that will gradually break it down, and there are kits that may have both carbamide peroxide and a squeeze bulb or syringe that can be used to flush it out. I know this as I have a sharp bend in my ear canals, so I do the ear drops once or twice a year. It was quite unnerving when that happened to me the first time.
But please don't just assume, best to get a diagnosis from a professional.

Jun 27, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #3 of 9
The best advice you are going to get in an online forum: Please go to a doctor and get checked.
Now for the seasoned Head-fier guess: Likely some built up earwax shifted and is now partially clogging your ear canal. You can get ear drops that will gradually break it down, and there are kits that may have both carbamide peroxide and a squeeze bulb or syringe that can be used to flush it out. I know this as I have a sharp bend in my ear canals, so I do the ear drops once or twice a year. It was quite unnerving when that happened to me the first time.
But please don't just assume, best to get a diagnosis from a professional.

I understand that I’m better with professional diagnosis than posting it on a forum but I was wondering if any members have had the same experience as well with IEMs.

Anyway, I visited my doctor and she examined my affected ear but she seen no sign of dislodged wax or infection and she said my ear looked healthy which has now baffled me why I’m getting the blocked clogged sensation in my ear with slight tinnitus.

Jun 27, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #4 of 9
Hopefully whatever is causing that sensation will go away on its own then, sorry to hear about that! I'm sure you already know this, but try taking a break from using any in ear monitors for a while, and maybe headphones in general. In my own experience, it's always been something physical that causes it to happen to me. I get something similar when I have head colds.

Jun 28, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #5 of 9
Distilled water is the best way to rinse your ear since it doesn't have any mineral deposits like tap water. Hydrogen peroxide works by bubbling to loosen wax buildup, but the rice Krispy sound for 10 minutes can be annoying. If you pinch your nose and try blowing it can relieve pressure like when your ears pop when on a plane. Ginko biloba root can help with tinnitus by increasing blood flow. In Canada they did a big double blind study and showed good results.

Jun 28, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #6 of 9
I get a clogged sensation after loud noise exposure (e.g., sirens, loud clanging of dishes, yelling, lots of other sounds) in my tinnitus afflicted ear before a particular tinnitus tone sounds. It's a weird sensation that goes away quickly. Ears are clean as a whistle.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #8 of 9
Try using equal parts of water and hydrogen peroxide to clean your ears, which is what this video suggests:

Thanks for the video. However I don’t have a problem with earwax as my doctor examined my ears and they look healthy with no build up of wax and neither is there any sign of infection so the problem is obviously stress related.

Anyway the blocked clogged feeling has disappeared and my ear feels fine even though I’ve still got slight tinnitus. I’m really gutted that my new IEMs the Sennheiser Momentum TWS 2 are causing this blocked clogged symptom in my ear when I take the IEMs out as they are great sounding.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for the video. However I don’t have a problem with earwax as my doctor examined my ears and they look healthy with no build up of wax and neither is there any sign of infection so the problem is obviously stress related.

Anyway the blocked clogged feeling has disappeared and my ear feels fine even though I’ve still got slight tinnitus. I’m really gutted that my new IEMs the Sennheiser Momentum TWS 2 are causing this blocked clogged symptom in my ear when I take the IEMs out as they are great sounding.
That is unfortunate, but better that you can identify and take steps early to prevent hearing issues. I didn't and I'm now paying for it. Don't be like me. :confounded:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back