Bloc Party
Sep 7, 2005 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

The Actual

Headphoneus Supremus
Is anyone else pretty amped for Silent Alarm Remixed?

I have heard the remixes from the Japanese release of Silent Alarm and they are pretty tame. However, after reading pitchfork's review a few days ago I am starting to get more hopeful than perhaps I should.

Is merely straight remixing a whole album just an awful idea or could it be as good as the original? I'll be buying it next Tuesday regardless.

Sep 7, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 9
It's pretty hit or miss. I love some of the songs, but really don't like some of the ones that should have easily been awesome (The M83, Automato, Four Tet and DFA1979 tracks are all pretty lackluster...well, the M83 one is awesome, but I like the original much better, and they tinker with the chorus too much). Ladytron, Mogwai, Shibuyaka, Jason Clark and Engineers remixes are all pretty good, as well as the "She's Hearing Voices" remix...although it's too dance-techno for me.

Sep 8, 2005 at 6:38 AM Post #4 of 9
Bloc Party was an unexpected revelation. They have put together an astonishingly slick debut.

They were short-listed for the Mercury Prize.

This Modern Love is an instant classic.

Sep 10, 2005 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual
Is anyone else pretty amped for Silent Alarm Remixed?

Yes, very much so. Silent Alarm easily makes my top 5 this year, and I've already started hearing good things about the remix.

Quote:

Is merely straight remixing a whole album just an awful idea or could it be as good as the original?

I think it's a great idea, but I don't think it will be as good as the original. The original is, well, original.

Quote:

I'll be buying it next Tuesday regardless.

Same here. This one's on my "buy it when it is released" short list.

Sep 11, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #6 of 9
i think i like 1/3 of the tracks on the remixed album as much as, or moreso than the original.

i cant list off exactly which ones off the top of my head, as i dont know the names of the tracks. i just listen to the CD straight through
tongue.gif
The remix done by DFA1979 rocks!!!

Sep 23, 2005 at 6:49 AM Post #7 of 9
Listening to this right now...it's quite good. I'll stick to my statement about the original being better, but this thing comes pretty damn close on overall listening enjoyment. It's also very refreshing to hear different takes on songs that I've already listened to numerous times. Definitely necessary for fans of the original. I also noticed that it came with a bonus disc. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I was kind of surprised to see it as I don't remember it being advertised on the packaging. It's also not included in the track listing on the back cover.

Sep 23, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #8 of 9
I've only heard the original but my girlfriend and I loved it.

Sep 23, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #9 of 9
Hm. I thought that I replied to this when I first got the remix.

Anyway. I also really like it. All of the songs are a lot different, which is cool, but some (recently my favorite has been Luno) are incredibly good as songs in their own right.

As for the bonus disc, I believe it is only included with the first five thousand, and includes two new songs and then remixes of them or something. The new stuff is pretty good, but I don't really plan on listening to it again for a while, so interpret that how you will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back