BLEW UP MY GRADO SR125
Oct 17, 2009 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

deftones99999

New Head-Fier
Hi guys. First post, first quality headphones
L3000.gif
and everything else. I purchased the headphones about a weak ago on ebay. I was listening to music on youtube and came across a bass test. (WARNING listen at your on risk: watch?v=ijldhLOGWEg) Well I clicked on it and like a second later guess what happened? Now I just hear distortion
frown.gif
Is this normal? Or where the headphones were in its tip of wearing out when I purchased them? Sorry for the noob question but I need someone to hear my cry.

PS. I should of bought them here but discovered this site days after purchased. Also I purchased possibly fake sony v900hd and ran the bass test with no problem.

Thanks in advance

Oct 17, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #3 of 25
Just had a listen, didn't do anything to my DT 150s...
rolleyes.gif

Oct 17, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ilovebeef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'd have had to be listening at stupid volumes to blow them on a youtube bass test.

It was 50% computer volume and about 40% youtube volume. It was low. It started distorting about 5 seconds of playing, which was just getting started!

Oct 17, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #5 of 25
I just listen to it. My computer exploded. . . . . . =p.

I'm not seeing how this possible. I call 25% volume on my stx insanely loud with low impedance headphones.

Oct 17, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #6 of 25
Grattle maybe? You could have a piece of hair or something that made its way to the drivers.

This was taken from the Headwize Grado Mods page, it may or may not solve your problem. If it's just a hair, then removing it should be easier than this:

Quote:

Fixing the Rattle Noise in the Diaphragm (SR-60/SR-325)

Method (Beagle): One of my SR-60 drivers developed a "rattle" on bass notes at somewhat high volumes, and it also caused a channel imbalance. Since they were out of warranty, I decided to try and fix it myself. I think the "wrinkle" occured when the diaphragm was hit with a sudden or prolonged low bass resonance at high volume. I know that his was indeed the case with the SR325, while I was playing the HDCD remaster of Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells". There is a lot of low bass energy and extreme dynamic range from quiet sections to loud. I think it is probable that the energy caused the diaphragm to snap back suddenly and retract a tad too far.
Once I got in view of the diaphragm, I could see a "collapse wrinkle" on the diaphragm. Using a small piece of duct tape, I VERY CAREFULLY applied a small area of the tape VERY GENTLY on the affected area of the diaphragm and pulled up slowly and gently. A couple of attempts and the diaphragm "snapped back into place" i.e. the "wrinkle" was gone.

I then used the hair dryer (held about two inches away) to "cure" the diaphragm by "stretching back" the plastic. I applied the heat for about 15-20 seconds. Before gluing everything back together, I placed the driver back in the enclosure, placed the rear enclosure on and gave it a listen. I used superglue to adhere the drivers to the housing and glue gun to hold the enclosure halves back together. This method worked to fix a similar problem with my SR-325 a few months back.

Oct 17, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grattle maybe? You could have a piece of hair or something that made its way to the drivers.

This was taken from the Headwize Grado Mods page, it may or may not solve your problem. If it's just a hair, then removing it should be easier than this:

thanks for the heads up! Anyways, I restarted my computer and the distortion went away lol. It was weird though, because this has never happened before. Never had problems with my computer's audio, which is 3 yrs.

Now back to my music!!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by deftones99999 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the heads up! Anyways, I restarted my computer and the distortion went away lol. It was weird though, because this has never happened before. Never had problems with my computer's audio, which is 3 yrs.

Now back to my music!!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

????????

Oct 17, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #10 of 25
Ehh, interesting... xD Wouldn´t have guessed the cause, or then I assumed that you already tried that it´s definitely the phones.

Oct 17, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #11 of 25
lol I know. I told you im a total noob
tongue.gif
As for my grado sr125, I am a little disappointed. I read that grados are great for rock. When I play some rock music that has some good amount of electric guitar in it, it sounds weak. I have $200 laying around and was thinking about purchasing the 325 version. I mainly listen to rock/classic rock, experimental/electronic, some jazz, and some hiphop. I really want to experience audiophile sound.

thanks in advance.

Oct 17, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #13 of 25
if you rebooted your computer and it went away, then it was your sound card! Ive seen this behavior with cheap sound cards including onboard sound. Usually i see it happen when people have multiple sources of sound playing at once

Oct 17, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #14 of 25
I would just like to chime in saying it's really hard to damage Grado's with volume. I tried turning up the volume on mine (not wearing them) to the point where I could use them as speakers with no ill effects at all.

And what are you comparing to when you say the guitar is weak on your SR125s?

Oct 17, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emooze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would just like to chime in saying it's really hard to damage Grado's with volume. I tried turning up the volume on mine (not wearing them) to the point where I could use them as speakers with no ill effects at all.

And what are you comparing to when you say the guitar is weak on your SR125s?

I guess my sony v900hd, or sony ex85 earphones.

I really dont know how to explain it but for example, when I hear lets say metallica, I cant hear the bass guitar beacause the lead guitar is weak, making it distorted. When I put on my other headphones or earphones, I can distinguish the bass guitar with the lead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back