Blended or Single Malt?
Apr 5, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #16 of 33
I have a bottle of Macallan 12 on my shelf owing to several friends' recommendations for getting into single malts. But recently I tried some Glenlivet 12 y.o. and was completely blown away. Very smooth and drinkable. IMHO.

Apr 5, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #17 of 33
Single malt for sure. Blends just seem to have no character.

Laphroaig is my favorite so far.

Apr 5, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #18 of 33
I enjoy both, but I prefer single malts all the way.

cheers!

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentVX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a bottle of Macallan 12 on my shelf owing to several friends' recommendations for getting into single malts. But recently I tried some Glenlivet 12 y.o. and was completely blown away. Very smooth and drinkable. IMHO.

Are you saying that you prefer the Glenlivet?

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #20 of 33
If you scotch (and associated beverages) lovers have about 100 hours of time to read this thread:http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/scotch-69879/

The thread started in 2004 and is still current. One of our members and scotch aficionados, Tyson, gave
his personal detailed impressions of almost every libation from the island of Scotch-land.

At least read the first couple of pages if you can.

Apr 5, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Single malt - definitely. Made in Scotland.
Macallan or Laphroaig does it for me. But there sure are many other great distilleries as well.

I'm having trouble thinking of two whiskys more disparate than those two. If you like both of those I think you'll struggle to find something that you don't.

Personally I can't stand the peaty smokey filth that is Islay whisky.

Apr 5, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

I love the peaty/smokey flavors. To each their own I guess.

Apr 5, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's my favorite kind of Scotch
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by gknix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Single malt without a doubt. It's the most pure, and high quality distillation. Most , if not all, the high quality Whiskey are single Malt. One of my favourites are Macallan Single Malt 18 year

Mine too! Found it extremely cheap in Tallinn, Estonia. Only paid 35€ for a bottle.

Apr 5, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #25 of 33
Not much of a scotch drinker.

Here in the US, and in Utah in particular, the cheap stuff is very bad, and the good stuff is very expensive.

Last i bought was a bottle of Cutty Sark, which isn't all that good, but it was still more than $20 for 750ml.

It will probably stay the last for a long time. for price/quality I'll drink rye.

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Here in the US, and in Utah in particular, the cheap stuff is very bad, and the good stuff is very expensive

Utah is a bit of a special case. But the good stuff is usually expensive when it comes to single malt.

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #27 of 33
Many years of skiing in Salt Lake City, and besides the highly restrictive drinking laws in the '80's, the drinks were considerably watered down in bars and restaurants.
The prices were low, but it was very difficult to "get fuzzy in the legs".

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many years of skiing in Salt Lake City, and besides the highly restrictive drinking laws in the '80's, the drinks were considerably watered down in bars and restaurants.
The prices were low, but it was very difficult to "get fuzzy in the legs".

Yeah, there's some absurd law about how much alcohol can be served in a mixed drink.

I'm fuzzy on the details 'cause i've never bothered to order anything like that.

I'm not sure if that was one of the regulations that was loosened in recent years, either.

Basically, we have the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control. Nobody on the DABC board drinks. The DABC is the only entity that can sell anything stronger than regular beer in a bottle, and they jack up the prices at their stores because they have no competition and they just plain feel like it.

Under governor Huntsman, some of the regulations were loosened a bit. The "private club" requirement is gone - instead the bars have to record your ID and store it for a short time (a few days or something).

At the same time, we had state legislators who took the alcopops out of grocery stores (no great loss) and almost passed a law prohibiting the sale of refrigerated beer in containers.

Huntsman was a progressive with broad appeal, so Obama got him out of the way by appointing him ambassador to china. He makes a lot of sense as an ambassador to china because he speaks the language fluently and has done a great deal of business with chinese companies over the years. But that was probably just icing on top of getting him out of the way in 2012.

So now we're stuck with Gary Herbert for a while. A guy who wants to sue the federal government for reforming health care. I don't think he ever thought he'd be governor, and i doubt he thinks he'll ever be governor again.

Apr 6, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you saying that you prefer the Glenlivet?

Yup. Just personal preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back