Blended or Single Malt?
Apr 4, 2010 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

HeatFan12

Headphoneus Supremus
I attended a really cool event last night. The Johnnie Walker, House of Walker Whisky Tasting (House of Walker Experience)- http://www.yelp.com/events/miami-joh...whisky-tasting.

Stephen Wilson was the host/MC and he was great. Learned quite a bit about the history of JW and all the different labels and blending. How strawberries dipped in pepper before a shot of Gold label really opens up the palette (tried it there, good stuff) etc. It really was a cool and different evening.

I believe the consensus is many prefer single malt (he mentioned a few good ones) but I have always gone more for the blended.

Your thoughts on this and maybe some recommendations on single malt.

Thanks

Apr 4, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 33
A lot will depend on what you can afford and what the local stores carry. Personally I think it is all good and so be it, I currently have JW gold label and blue label at the house and both are very good. Although so are a lot of other scotches/whiskeys.

Apr 4, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #3 of 33
The only really great blended I have ever personally had was Johnny Walker Blue. That is one great Scotch. Otherwise, all the good Scotches I have ever had (which is a fair number) were single malts.

Apr 4, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 33
I finally convinced my wife to get me a bottle of scotch for Christmas, as a regular thing. It was maybe 5 years ago, after 25 years of marriage. She surprised me with bottle of Pinch.
redface.gif

She was in a hurry and asked the clerk to recommend one. I should have known better than to tell her to surprise me.
I explained to her that among the good blends....there was just a few choices like the JW Blue...expensive. But the Single malts could be had in various "flavors" , regions and in very reasonable price categories...tho requested that she not scrimp too much. I then requested only Single Malts and showed her the top shelf of our fav. store from which to pick from.

She is learning....got a Balvinie 21 yr old Portwood last year.

Apr 4, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #6 of 33
Well I like Laphroig better...and I like Caol Isla better as well...but Johnny Blue is pretty darned good. Not too keen on on Johnny Black or Red though.

Apr 5, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 33
To me it depends on the company I have. Blended for the curious, single for those who know my stash.

Apr 5, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me it depends on the company I have. Blended for the curious, single for those who know my stash.

And rum for the good times!
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #10 of 33
I can go either way depending on what kind of mood I'm in and how much I feel like spending! I don't have too much experience with scotch as I usually go for my cheapo Cutty and my favorite liquors for price vs. taste lies in Irish whiskey and rye.

My experiences, as I can recall them, are as follows:

Cutty Sark (original - blended): is great for the wallet and on a hot day while sitting in the backyard and you feel like relaxing a cold scotch. Not great tasting, but it's versatile if not spread a little thin.

Cutty Sark 15 Year (blended): a little bit harsher on the wallet, but the difference is night and day! Easily my favorite scotch when chilled or with a single ice cube.

Macallan 10 Year (single): I like this scotch, but didn't love it, although I would buy it again.

Famous Grouse (blended): my father's favorite wallet-loving scotch, a nice full body taste to it that is good to have over some appetizers.

Catto's Rare Old (blended): the first and last time I had this was a few years ago at a party... I blacked out, so I suppose it did the job, but I can't remember that night nor how it tasted.

J&B Rare Old (blended): a getting drunk liquor. Nothing more, nothing less.

Grant's (blended): I've tried two or three variations of Grant's from my local liquor store, but to be honest, I can't remember how they tasted. I vaguely remember not liking one, but that's about it.

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #11 of 33
Single malt - definitely. Made in Scotland.
Macallan or Laphroaig does it for me. But there sure are many other great distilleries as well.

Apr 5, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #13 of 33
Isle of Jura is delicious, but Macallans 12 y.o. Red Triangle is my favorite (but $50? WTH, I used to pay $40).

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #14 of 33
Great suggestions. I have some nice single malts to try. Definitely, the Blue Label was my favorite at the tasting. It went down nice, warm and smooth
biggrin.gif
. IIRC, the "youngest" blend in the Blue is at least 25 years old, with a couple of blends in it going back 40 years. Expensive though. Great for special occasions...
The Green (15 years) surprised me. I believe I preferred the Green over the Gold. Had a different taste altogether.

Apr 5, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #15 of 33
Dont care as long as it doesnt hurt my wallet too much and tastes smooth and good (hate smokey ones), like Kentucky Gentleman. Otherwise whiskey is a whiskey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back