Blech - Media destroyed by its own "protective" packaging
Dec 29, 2010 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

zowie

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently discovered two recordings were destroyed by their factory packaging.

One was an LP on EMI from the early 70s (Menuhin).  The inner sleeve was paper with interior plastic lining, as is found on many European classical lps.  It stuck to the record and when I pealed it off it left gook that my VPI vac could not remove at all.

The other was a double CD set from the 80s in the typical double-cd jewel box of the era, the one's that are actually about 2.5 the thickness of a single cd box (Hot Rocks).  It came with foam squares to protect the cd from the booklet stored inside, or maybe just to fill the extra space so nothing gets loose.  I've seen this several times too in "deluxe" sets in the old-style packaging, like operas.  The foam turned a umber color and got gluey.  It not only stuck to the label side of the cd, it stuck to the parts of the jewel box it was in contact with.  The stuff -- stickiness and tiny bits of foam -- is not coming off, and I'm not about to put this into a cd player to try it out.

Importantly, these recordings were never stored improperly and were in their original factory packaging.  I'm going to have to check through the rest of my collection now.

I never had an lp or CD destruct on the shelf before.

Beware.

Dec 29, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 3
The CDs are marked (c)1986 and I think I probably got them around 90-92.  I know foam decomposes -- I have been much sprinkled by the once-padded headliners in aged cars -- but it usually tuns to dust, not glue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back