Blasphemy/Sacrilege
Sep 6, 2006 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

archosman

Songs From The Crystal Cave
Who the hell let George Lucas loose at Paramount?
mad.gif

[size=medium]CBS Paramount Confirms Original Star Trek Episodes Have Been Remastered and Updated
High-Definition version of the 1960's series, featuring new special effects, will begin airing September 16th.
by Eric Goldman

September 1, 2006 - Confirming the rumors that quickly spread this week, CBS Paramount has announced that they are putting the original Star Trek TV series back into syndication, with brand new digitally remastered episodes which are in High-Definition and feature new special effects, along with other visual and audio updates to the beloved 1960's series.

The most surprising thing in the announcement is that these new versions will begin airing almost immediately, on September 16th, on over 200 stations the series has been syndicated to nationwide. Obviously work was well underway on the upgrades before the rumors hit the web this week.

According to the press release, special effects have been redone for many aspects of the series, with new CGI effects replacing the 1960's imagery. The press release lists the following alterations:

* Space ship exteriors -- The space ship Enterprise, as well as other Starships, will be replaced with state of the art CGI-created ships. The new computer-generated Enterprise is based on the exact measurements of the original model, which now rests in the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C.

* Show opening -- The Enterprise and planets seen in the main title sequence will be redone, giving them depth and dimension for the first time.

* Galaxy shots -- All the graphics of the galaxy, so frequently seen through the window on the Enterprise's bridge, will be redone.

* Exteriors -- The battle scenes, planets and ships from other cultures (notably the Romulan Bird of Prey and Klingon Battle Cruisers) will be updated.

* Background scenes -- Some of the iconic, yet flat, matte paintings used as backdrops for the strange, new worlds explored by the Enterprise crew will get a CGI face-lift, adding atmosphere and lighting.

The press release also notes, "The refurbished episodes also feature higher quality sound for the famous opening theme. The original score by Emmy Award-winning composer Alexander Courage has been re-recorded in state-of-the-art digital stereo audio with an orchestra and a female singer belting out the famous vocals. A digitally remastered version of William Shatner's classic original recording of the 38-word 'Space, the final frontier…' monologue continues to open each episode."

"The remastered episodes have been converted from the original film into a High-Definition format, which gives viewers a clearer, crisper, more vibrant picture than before, even when viewed in standard definition. Once stations upgrade and start broadcasting HD signals, the episodes will be all ready for viewers to enjoy in HD."[/size]

Sep 6, 2006 at 7:08 AM Post #2 of 25
Ah but see, the original star trek series is easily available on DVD from Amazon and so on.

So those less enthused by a hi-def trek can just stay with what they like
biggrin.gif

Who knows, it may introduce people to what made star trek so great, people who would otherwise have ignored it, citing the dated look it has.

Sep 6, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #4 of 25
Bah. Part of the immense Star Trek appeal, to me at least, is how it was made, and knowing that it was amazing material for the time. The Original Series doesn't need to be updated...

That being said, I am itching to see this, even if it's only to cry at how it's been ruined. Who knows, maybe it really is better... Ha. Yeah. Right.

Sep 6, 2006 at 7:43 AM Post #5 of 25
I'm no Star Trek fan, but I at least see what the new version looks like before I start critisizing it.
plainface.gif

With that sad I am also in the camp that believes art should be kept the way it was orignally created (along with all it's flaws). It's not like someone takes down the Mona Lisa every few decades and decides that it needs to be "remastered."
rolleyes.gif

Sep 6, 2006 at 9:13 AM Post #6 of 25
It's just about $$$$$ that all it is is .
I am sure the results will be interesting ,but it won't an improvement over the
original.
Star Trek is a cultural icon, and in these days of saccharine tv it still has a
nice edge to it.
I feel confident that it will still be loved in it's original form for many years to
come.

Sep 6, 2006 at 10:07 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
I'm no Star Trek fan, but I at least see what the new version looks like before I start critisizing it.
plainface.gif

With that sad I am also in the camp that believes art should be kept the way it was orignally created (along with all it's flaws). It's not like someone takes down the Mona Lisa every few decades and decides that it needs to be "remastered."
rolleyes.gif

That's what trekkies do - like the new movie, it's largely panned and they haven't even seen it yet.

It's why I don't fit in very well to the trekkie community, I'm more of just a fan of the show, although I do despise how they ran it into the ground. If you want to see what it could have been, have a look at BSG.
frown.gif

However, since my husband is a graphic artist, I'm of the camp that the art is yours and you can do with it as you please, and if people don't want the new version that's ok.

Sep 6, 2006 at 12:23 PM Post #8 of 25
I will of course withhold judgment until I see what they have done. If it’s just improving the special effects it just might be acceptable. If however they do what Spielberg did when he redid E.T. it would be criminal. Spielberg edited E.T. and digitally removed aspects that he now feels are not P.C. (He changed the guns that all of the police held to walkie talkies).

Part of what makes Star Trek great is that it’s a flashback to the 60’s. Updating the special effects could ruin this aspect of the show. We’ll see.

Sep 6, 2006 at 12:49 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes
I will of course withhold judgment until I see what they have done. If it’s just improving the special effects it just might be acceptable. If however they do what Spielberg did when he redid E.T. it would be criminal. Spielberg edited E.T. and digitally removed aspects that he now feels are not P.C. (He changed the guns that all of the police held to walkie talkies).

Part of what makes Star Trek great is that it’s a flashback to the 60’s. Updating the special effects could ruin this aspect of the show. We’ll see.

I am with you on this, I will wait till I watch the "new version" before I judge. But as a previous posted stated this is all about money.
frown.gif

Sep 6, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #10 of 25
They need to modify the same product before the copyrights all expire. That why digital remasters and new physical media formats keep being made. Its nothign to do with quality experience for the consumer. Its to do with the conglomerates keeping all of thier assets tangiable.

Sep 6, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #11 of 25
i wonder if they "freshened up" the aliens. girl in green paint + CGI = better or worse? we'll see.

Sep 6, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #12 of 25
I thought the girl in green paint was HOT! As for the new Trek, I guess I'll buy them when they hit the shelves being a trekkie and all but this was so motivated by money! Of course, look at the killing from Star Wars! Special edition this and collectors edition that.....all about the $$. No surprise I guess. As long as the originals can still be had, I guess there's no real harm but it does seem a bit blasphemous to us trekkies.

Sep 6, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
I thought the girl in green paint was HOT!

"Retouch? I don't need no steekin' retouch!"
Marta.jpg

Sep 6, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #14 of 25
I saw every episode during it's original run and have seen so many re-runs during the past 40 years that I can't watch them any more. I welcome anything that may spark my interest in the original series again.

Sep 6, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
"Retouch? I don't need no steekin' retouch!"

Ahhh Orion Slave Girls...
...Three can be better than one
biggrin.gif

240x320.jpg

Also, Marta the Star Trek Orion Slave Girl was supposed to be green, not blue!

All I know is they better still have Checkov screaming
agonybooth.gif

Spock: "The Agony Booth is a most effective means of torture"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back