BLASPHEMY!{FLAMESUIT ON}
Oct 9, 2008 at 10:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

donunus

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't know what I ate today but I swear my sr60s are whuppin' some hd600 booty! I have never really gave the reversed bowls a good listen until now and voila! Bass to highs overall balance are now very similar to the senns with a slight boost at around 100hz and slightly less low bass. What this does is give a restored fun factor to thin rock music and be decent enough for reference recordings. I'll never use other pads ever again. Viva Reversed Bowls!

A/B testing both cans on the gilmore lite, the overall top to bottom balance is close enough that there is no "shock" factor like when using other pads comparing to the senns. Each of them show what they lack when swapped for the other with the last can usually sounding a little worse than the first due to the ear adjustment factor. Take note... with flats or straight bowls, the difference with the senns is too big that the grados always sound far worse when a/bed against the hd600. Back to using the reversed bowls, the grados are a little more punchy and the senns more refined. I still prefer the hd600s but hell... These are 69 dollar cans with 15 dollar pads were talking about, what do you expect
biggrin.gif

I can now definitely say that the sr60s are the best value in all of audiodom when using reversed bowls. Or for the person that wants to do one stop shopping... Get sr80s... reverse the bowls(after rinsing with conditioner and water) then enjoy!!!!!!!!!!
smile_phones.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #3 of 55
ya my Sony Clip ons sound like K701 btw.

Oct 9, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #4 of 55
I tried the reversed with the MS2 but didn't find it to add anything to the table.

Well, due to your post I had to try it with the RS1. Well, with the RS1 I find the reversed bowls to indeed add something. I need to listen and compare more, but initial impression is very good
smily_headphones1.gif
The reversed bowls seem to have some of that deep growling bass that the flats have, but with a little more clarity.

Oct 9, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #5 of 55
It isn't about good, better, best. It is all about different sound signatures, your ears, your mood, and becoming "tuned" to certain sound flavours. Although I belive headphone burn in does resut in a changed sound (not convinced that it is night and day, I know the Ultrasone clan will disagree), I think it is more about the individual warming to the sound. Having said that, different pads will change the sound, although I'm not sure reversed bowls will make the SR60 comparable to a top end Senn. However they are your ears, enjoy the experience. Now I think I will sit back and read how the "Dark Side" react to your revelation. By the way, I'm betting this will be the thread of the month (or thread of the week at least) based on number of replies.

Oct 9, 2008 at 10:56 AM Post #6 of 55
I have never been a fan of grado's, but the SR60's are very good for there price. I however cannot understand how one could prefer them over the HD600's. I cannot think of one area where the HD600's do not absolutly smash the entire grado line in all areas.

* sits down and awaits the thunder before the storm (maybe I should have someone fetch my gun)
wink.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 11:14 AM Post #8 of 55
Get a Protapro and you will see the SR60 sweat....
wink_face.gif

The HD600 is not a headphone that will please all types of audiophiles, they are laid back, and veiled and not the best choice for many genres, while Grados offer a completely different sound, more aggressive, forward and are a better choice for the genres in which the HD600 will not shine...

Oct 9, 2008 at 11:44 AM Post #9 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
THIS IS BLASPHEMY!
THIS IS MADNESS!
ksc75smile.gif

THIS IS SPARTA!

Was the first thing that came in to my head as well.
wink.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #10 of 55
Quote:

Get a Protapro and you will see the SR60 sweat....

I was just about to say the same thing. The difference to my ears between the SR60 and the PortaPro is small. Which then makes PortaPro even a better "bang for the buck", no?

Quote:

It isn't about good, better, best. It is all about different sound signatures, your ears, your mood, and becoming "tuned" to certain sound flavours.

Word!

Oct 9, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #11 of 55
That's O.K. I prefer the $14 Philips SBC HS500 to the HD600! : )

A big part of it, for me, consists in achieving "reasonable sonic expectation for the dollars spent." When I pay $200+ dollars for a set of headphones, I have a sonic expectation level (qualitatively) commensurate with the monetary expenditure.

It's one thing to reap only $100's worth of musical enjoyment from a $200+ pair of headphones. It's quite another, and preferrable, thing to derive $100's worth of enjoyment from a $15--or $69, in the instance of the SR-60--pair.

The affordability and associated simplicity of owning something like the SR-60 versus, say, the HD600--with the many and vast considerations for adequate source, amp, cables, tubes. etc., that accompany an acquisition of the latter--adds lots of "hidden" value to owning/enjoying the former.

Kernmac makes excellent observations, too. Very often it's the freshness of something "different" and not necessarily, or in absolute terms, "better" that attracts our attention. This is especially true when we've staked all our desire on one thing (e.g. the HD600) to the prolonged exclusion of everything else. Once we finally make time for/give attention to something else--even something else which we'd previously foresworn in the revelry of our (now prior) obsession, we notice (maybe for the first time) what might have been lacking in our darling fixation.

We're funny, finicky creatures who implicitly crave the transcendent, and yet are very often fooled into thinking that we've grasped the transcendent in what later proves to be or proves to have been merely the temporal masquerading as such. Our faint brushes with "beauty" while striving, e.g. for that elusive sound, are meant, quite simply, to move us beyond this hobby and towards the truly Beautiful, where we can truly rest and be super-satisfied--gratis! : )

Oct 9, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #13 of 55
Hmm... I'll have to try reversing my bowls... But detail-wise, SR-80s are still a bit behind the top of the line.

Oct 9, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #14 of 55
Don't get me wrong, I did say in the end that I prefer the senn... For the money, with reversed bowls.... The sr60s are ridiculously good
biggrin.gif

Henmyr,
I tried the reverse bowls with my ms1s and it did nothing. I absolutely prefer the sr60 to them using either flats(for noisy backround portable use) or even straight bowls.

Moogoob,
Detail is not top of the line but it is more organic reversing the bowls because there is more weight to go with those highs.

Oct 9, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #15 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't get me wrong, I did say in the end that I prefer the senn... For the money, with reversed bowls.... The sr60s are ridiculously good
biggrin.gif

Moogoob,
Detail is not top of the line but it is more organic reversing the bowls because there is more weight to go with those highs.

Yeah, 80s are all about "enough" detail but an amazing sound signature.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back