Blank Minidiscs
Mar 19, 2002 at 6:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

TimSchirmer

Repelling digital infidels. (Would that be called the Digifadah?)
Okay, I know that most people on this thread believe that there is no difference in sound quality. you are all correct! What I have noticed, however are small differences in build quality. I have to say that the ones I have that are made by sony tend to fall apart faster, and I keep losing the metal thing that holds it together. The highest quality so far have been the ones built by Fuji. (who would've guessed?) Again, this is just a heads up for all of you MD users out there.

Mar 19, 2002 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 22
Damn.. and i thought sony would have made the best quality MD's
rolleyes.gif

Maybe it depends on what type you buy? The premium MDs probably last longer and are more durable?

Mar 19, 2002 at 4:34 PM Post #3 of 22
Hmm. Never happened to me. I mean having a Sony MD falling apart.
The only time it happened it was with Maxell. They have this sliding thing made of plastic.
Other than that I'm getting MDs based on the prices at the moment, without too much brand preferences.

Mar 19, 2002 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 22
I've had one slider-thingy on a TDK MD bent in such a way it was useless and some getting stuck, not sliding back till I pushed them (but they gave no further problems after that). and I got some gaps in recordings made on Sony discs. they're the only common brand around here, so I go with the TDKs. got my hands on a Maxel recently..not too fond of the plastic slider, I like my technology wrapped in metal
cool.gif
we'll see how he keeps up.

Mar 20, 2002 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 22
I dont hate the sony ones, the fuji just seems to have better build quality IMO. The metal thingy never bends.

Mar 24, 2002 at 8:46 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by RMSzero
Where is a good place to buy these? I need more, and the only place I've ever seen them local is Best Buy.

Tower records has the fuji ones that were mentioned above.

Mar 29, 2002 at 12:47 AM Post #11 of 22
More costly MD blanks have a lower error recording rate as they get re-written over and over again... just like the diff. between expensive and cheap CD-RW discs I guess.

I think Sony blanks are pretty good, and the ES white discs look nice! =)

Mar 29, 2002 at 8:35 AM Post #12 of 22
I will be staying away from TDK in future. Recently bought a 10 pack of RXG 74's and so far have had >40% error rate.

Of the 10 discs :-
4 are fine,
2 Disc errored as soon as I loaded them,
1 Recorded but continuously TOC Errors on playback and
3 are still in their wrappers

Mar 29, 2002 at 9:31 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by 20silkcut
I will be staying away from TDK in future. Recently bought a 10 pack of RXG 74's and so far have had >40% error rate.

Of the 10 discs :-
4 are fine,
2 Disc errored as soon as I loaded them,
1 Recorded but continuously TOC Errors on playback and
3 are still in their wrappers

You use a Sharp's portable (or its clone) I suppose? I used to have a similar problem with TDK on my Sharp portable, and I don't have it anymore with my newest Sony R909. Never had any errors with my MD deck though...

Mar 30, 2002 at 1:27 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by simonlo
Damn.. and i thought sony would have made the best quality MD's
rolleyes.gif

FWIW the only blank Minidiscs that i've ever had any problems with were the damned expensive Sony ones. That should teach me a lesson with buying their overpriced crap discs.

Incidentally, I recently bought a 10-pack of Sony CD-R's and found that the teeth on the inserts on each jewel case were broken. I wonder if Sony have a serious QC problem at their media plants?

I tend to use Maxell discs almost exclusively. The company I work for sells Maxell MD at all of their outlets so I can get them rather cheaply with staff discount. The only thing that used to bother me was the plastic window shutters on them as opposed to the metal ones on other brands. I don't worry about this anymore as I never have any problems with them.

My own personal views on minidiscs is that the difference in sound quality comes with the build quality and the level of rigidity in the packaging. I know a few people who have had issues with Hi-Space MDs that are just too flimsy to even consider using.

Sound As Ever.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back