Blacksmith's Frankenphone - Passive Noisecancelation
Jul 11, 2011 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

VictorHalgaard

WARNING: BAD TRADER
Also known as HeadphoneViking.
Hello there fellow Head-Fi'ers! I am a blacksmith and I have long been feddeling with stupid IEMs underneath my hearing guar to be able to listen to music while i work, but today I just couldnt handle it anymore and thought to myself that i had to be able to come up with a better solution! So i dragged out my old skullcandy headphones from before i got money to buy my own cans (proper ones) and saw that I apparently with joy had trashed them just to make a statement - Anyhow, enough teenage rebellion/revelation stuff, on to the point!
I picked them up and listened to them. Well, it wasn't exactly D7000 sound, but it got the job done - and i had no problems with potentially destrying a pair of these things. I got my hearing guards and a grado cable i had lying around. And so, with hammer, sottering iron, glue gun and spraypaint in hand, the madness begun. The hearing guards I had been using and the skullcandy  were these:

Some ugly red thingies and some sort of cool but not too well sounding headphones - disaster had to ensue. But amazingly it didn't! I tore the SC's apart and peeled off the comfy headband padding and broke out the drivers. Then I did more or less the same to the hearing guards. I decided to paint them black - The red wasn't eally something i wanted to wear in public. After an hour of tinkering this was the result! Portable, pretty comfy, noise-isolating and not too horrible sounding, things considered! And they also work well for blocking out airplain noice. So apart from the fact that its Skullcandy (sort of), what do you think?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 5
Looks like a cool mod! I was going to suggest trying it with a pair of SR60 drivers, but I remembered that they sound horrible in a sealed enclosure (or even just by covering the rear vents with your hands). I may try something like this with my HD218s that have been sitting in my closet for half a year 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #3 of 5
I though about doing that but prefer my IEMs under the hearing protectors for the extra isolation.  The people in my office are pretty noisy and I have to listen to my music softly since I listen all day long.  I've found that people's yammering away on the phone even cuts through my SE530's isolation so sometimes I wear a pair of these over them.

If I'm working or something where I'll get all sweaty and potentially ruin my Shures I use my KSC-75s under them.  They don't have any extra isolation but I find power tools far less annoying than other people talking.  Plus, the KSC-75s are only $14 and blow many 'phones costing far more out of the water.

Jul 12, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 5
I use something similar.  Pair of Eardefenders and a set of px100s.  Works quite well all things considering.  Only drawbacks are that I can't use glasses whilst using them and the clamp gets a bit tiring after a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back