Blackgates for C7 in an M3?
Jan 21, 2006 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

SPL

New Head-Fier
I'm planning my next project (and haven't even finished building my Pimeta...
rolleyes.gif
); and have decided on the M3. Wondering if Blackgates for C7 are even close to worth it (Partsconnexion has the 470uF 50V for $7.75 each
eek.gif
), or if something like the Nichicon KZ (same value for $1.15 ea.) would be more than sufficient. Apparently, Blackgates are being discontinued, so I'll have to get them fairly soon.
I've got a fairly critical ear, but are we talking the final 10% improvement, or 0.1% with the Blackgates? I know The Law of Diminishing Returns applies, but that's a lot of cash; I'd rather spend it on other components that would make a bigger difference. This will be my "keeper" home amp - until something way better comes along, that is
wink.gif
, so I want it to be as good as possible.

TIA

Jan 21, 2006 at 9:22 AM Post #2 of 12
Overkill IMHO. Elnas or Nichicons if you really want to go that far. C7 is not in the signal path so going boutique is really not necessary..........

Jan 21, 2006 at 9:56 AM Post #3 of 12
Question, then: My understanding (limited as it is) is that electrolytics are used for power or bypass - NEVER in the signal path. If that's the case, do Blackgates fall into the "it's expensive, so it must be better than everything else on the market - gotta have it..." catagory, or is there some actual benefit to using them (minimal as it may be...)?

Jan 21, 2006 at 10:04 AM Post #4 of 12
Blackgates are very subjective. The company that makes them (Jelmax?) doesn't publish the typical capacitor datasheets that other companies such as Elna, Nichicon and Panasonic provide. This means that you have to go based on word of mouth, and buy into the "subjectivity" of what they provide. Obviously, as such, they're a matter of hot-debate.

One thing that the BG's do very well is non-polar electrolytics (BG-N and BG-NX), which are handy if you need a high-value cap in the signal path since they're much smaller than the respective film types. They certainly don't sound terrible -- I used 4.7uF BG-N's in my Monica 2 DAC.. I do not, however, have a version with film caps to compare to. I would guess that non-polar Nichicon ES's might get you most of the way there as well.

That said, I would say that the Nichicon KZ or the Panasonic FM's are your best bet in that spot. I used KZ's on the M3's I built, but I've also used the FM's and Cerafines on PPA's and Pimetas. I can't really tell a difference with those caps in the PSU.

Jan 25, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #5 of 12
I used silmic II's in my m3, and have used panasonic FMs in one I'm building.. I can't notice the difference and regret getting the silmics ...

Jan 25, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #7 of 12
Thanks, people. I'll go with the Nichicon KZs or Panasonic FMs. The price difference will go a long way toward the OPA627s I want to use.

Again, thanks.
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 12
BGs aren't discontinued, but will probably be more expensive. I would rather spend the money on a better PSU.

Jan 26, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #12 of 12
Great.. More money for parts they won't even provide a datasheet on
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back