Blackgate C-type or Nichicon UPW/UHE for Input Caps
Aug 5, 2006 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mudihan

100+ Head-Fier
Due to space limitation, I can only have electrolytic caps for input caps (4.7uf and up) in my amp. The Blackgate C-type seems to be the best choice, but I don't want to pay the $5 below-$25-order-fee most venders charge. Nichicon's UPW or UHE can be had for cheap at Mouser. How do they compare to the C-type? Thanks!

Aug 5, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by mudihan
Due to space limitation, I can only have electrolytic caps for input caps (4.7uf and up) in my amp. The Blackgate C-type seems to be the best choice, but I don't want to pay the $5 below-$25-order-fee most venders charge. Nichicon's UPW or UHE can be had for cheap at Mouser. How do they compare to the C-type? Thanks!

Having been through this with the DIY Alien DAC lately, you're stuck as far as getting Black Gates. The NX-HiQ are the best for electrolytic coupling caps, by the way. The next best according to reviews are the Nichicon Muse ES, which have a warm bass sound. Parts Connexion is the best for BG's - and probably Handmade Electronics for the Nichicon's. Unfortunately, no one has both in the size you mention. I think I finally settled on the 47uF because BG has a NX-HiQ in that size (there aren't many of them). The Nichicon's are way cheaper, but no one has them without that minimum order thing.

As for Mouser or DigiKey, they've both added to their lines with some boutique caps, but they are going fast - there's not much stock. Mouser got some Os-Con's and DigiKey has Elna Silmic's (Elna RFS series). You might try one of those. Mouser's Nichicon UPW's are the among the best audio power caps, and DigiKey's Panasonic FM's may be the best. However, both suck as coupling caps: there are many warnings to avoid them entirely.

P.S. Be careful about selecting the vendor for BG's and other boutique caps. Parts ConX is good, I just ordered $25 worth of the BG's mentioned above. I have had good reports about Handmade, too. You may find reports of problems with the others - ranging from delayed deliveries to no response at all.

Aug 5, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb
P.S. Be careful about selecting the vendor for BG's and other boutique caps. Parts ConX is good, I just ordered $25 worth of the BG's mentioned above. I have had good reports about Handmade, too. You may find reports of problems with the others - ranging from delayed deliveries to no response at all.

I can vouch for Handmade Electronics. I recently ordered a lot of caps (Nichicon Muse KZ and Solen SM) from them and got them just a few days later. They do have a $12.50 minimum, and add $2 for orders under $25, though.

Aug 5, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks. I think that I find a way to meet the minimum order requirement. Perhaps some nice RCA connectors for some diy cables.

By the way, how is Rubycon ZA for coupling?

Aug 5, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #5 of 5
Also, the original cap value is 4.7uf. Is it ok (or even better) if i use 10uf caps? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back