Blacked out K1000: finally, a good looking mod. (56k warning!)
Oct 30, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #32 of 61
Start selling these grilles!

Oct 30, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #33 of 61
It's time to locate a pair to get powder-coated.

Or, I'll send in my K701's to get the treatment.
eek.gif

* [size=xx-small]Superfluous apostrophe added out of jealosy.[/size]

Oct 30, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #34 of 61
seriously, i thought the k1000's were one of the ugliest headphones, especially for that price. but the black looks great.

but i'm curious about if the powder coating has affected the sound since the grills are less malleable. i figured everythign abotu the design of the headphones influence the quality of the sound and if the paint will change it in anyway. also, since you said it was hard to put on, did any paint chip/scuff while you were assemblying it back together?

Oct 30, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #35 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz
presumably the powdercoating slightly fills the holes of the grille. any change in sound?

That is a true head-fi question. Who in the world thinks that?

Oct 30, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #36 of 61
They do look much better. I really didn't like the original look myself.

I have to ask, how much does it cost to get something like that powder coated?

Cheers

Oct 30, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #37 of 61
Wow, nice!
k1000smile.gif
<--- paint it black.

These phones need all the help they can get in the looks department.

Oct 30, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #40 of 61
im not sure if its an artifcat in the photo or not but it looks like the grill isnt in correctly, if you look at the top right of the photo, looks not in all the way...

but the grills in the K1000 are usually a pain in the arse to get in properly anyway

Oct 30, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #41 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx
seriously, i thought the k1000's were one of the ugliest headphones, especially for that price. but the black looks great.

but i'm curious about if the powder coating has affected the sound since the grills are less malleable. i figured everythign abotu the design of the headphones influence the quality of the sound and if the paint will change it in anyway. also, since you said it was hard to put on, did any paint chip/scuff while you were assemblying it back together?

Even when I forcibly bent the coated grilles, the finish did not show any signs of chipping or cracking, miraculously. The only time the finish was damaged was when I literally filed it down around the edges to make them fit better, and then of course that was only in the non-visible areas. Again, doesn't affect the sound at all. And to the guy who spotted the grille not being in properly, you're one hundred percent correct. I ended up leaving it that way because I didn't feel like going to further trouble to refit it at the time, and since the grille was still very secure (and therefore does not at all rattle), I don't really mind it. One of these days if I get the time, I may go back and get it to fit perfectly again, but right now I'm happy with the fit the way it is; I just consider it a casualty of war that that little corner isn't fully under the lip. The sacrifice was far beyond worth it.

Oct 30, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #42 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
Is that a black MacBook in the background?

Of course. Only MacHeads use the HK Sound Sticks
smily_headphones1.gif

(Yes, I do own them too.)

--
Regards, Charles.

Oct 30, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #43 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by procreate
Of course. Only MacHeads use the HK Sound Sticks
smily_headphones1.gif

(Yes, I do own them too.)

--
Regards, Charles.

Wrong. It's a custom painted Powerbook G4. Notice it's glossy, as opposed to Macbooks, which are flat black.

Oct 31, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #44 of 61
Just wanted to say that the final result looks great and your risky decision paid off in dividends. I'm sure many others will find your work inspiring and it'll lead to some interesting looking headphones in the future.

Oct 31, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #45 of 61
Looks great, but I agree, we need to see them worn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back