Blackbird vs Mustang .. in terms of driving high impedance phones
Dec 26, 2008 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

smart

Head-Fier
Like many members here, I have both of Blackbird and Mustang as my home and portable rigs. I'm not sure if this will be comparison between apple and orange. I feel the same RSA sound signature out of them, and I'm so happy with the rigs.

My Mustang will be mainly used with ESW10JPN (I got it by accident!) through the 3G iPod Nan (Lil' Knight, your rig is my inspiration
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll post the pics soon) , and the Blackbird will be driving HD650 at home.

I'm sure those who own both amps used to test them with high impedance phones (HDXXX or K701/K702, etc.) What did you found out of the test? Do you think the little brother P-51 is capable of driving them as good as the Blackbird was originally designed for?

Thanks for the input.

Dec 26, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 28
They both do a great job but to me they don't sound the same. Each in a league of its own.

I was listening to the BB last night. What great music, what a great amp!

Dec 27, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #4 of 28
Well, since I am doing my burn-in with a set of AKG K702 cans with a Stephan Arts Equinox cable replacement, I would say the Mustang handles high impedance phones with no problem. I am using a Cowon O2 player with FLAC files and the DSP tweaked to expand the soundstage and push the base a little.

Even in the first hour of burn-in, I found the music quite listenable (is that a word?). The sound is a little intense at the high-end, but that may be due to my settings. After a hundred hours or so of the Moody Blues, I am sure the high-end will mellow out
biggrin.gif

I am very happy with my Mustang. I think it makes a very nice companion to the Blackbird.

IMHO,
-HK sends

Dec 27, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #6 of 28
Well, I have the SR-71A version of the Blackbird, so I could provide my opinion if you want. I need to put some burn-in time on the Mustang first and then I will do some comparing. One note is I don't use IEMs, just full size cans, so the comparison will be from that perspective.
My cans are from Grado, Denon, and AKG.

-HK sends

P.S. - I will say that even after four short hours of burn in, Howard Shore's LOTR soundtracks sound incredible.

Dec 27, 2008 at 10:03 AM Post #7 of 28
HK_sends ... please share your opinions with us. Both of my amps have more than 200 hours burned-in.

Thank you.

Dec 27, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by smart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HK_sends ... please share your opinions with us. Both of my amps have more than 200 hours burned-in.

Thank you.

I will, but I only have 6 hours burn-in on the Mustang. Let me get a little more time. My Black Bird has about 200 hours on it as well.

I will say that playing FLAC files from a Cowon O2, with a Cable Pro Panorama interconnect, Mustang amp, and AKG 702 cans (w/ SA Equinox replacement cable) sounds incredible even after only six hours
atsmile.gif

The high-end shrillness has mellowed down and the bass keeps getting tighter. I know AKG cans are not known for strong bass, but the Mustang helps push it to the front (listening to the Moria sequence on Howard Shore's Fellowship of the Rings soundtrack). The background chants are a lot clearer (although I still don't know what they are saying
smile.gif
).

I look forward to doing a comparison in the next few days.

-HK sends

Dec 27, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #10 of 28
Here's the pic.

p5102sk7.jpg

I'll be out of town for few days .. I check this thread on Jan 2nd. Thanks again.

Dec 28, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #15 of 28
HK sends, nice pics man. Really get a good idea how small Mustang is in comparison to the Blackbird. Yet when I recieve My Mustang, I bet I'll still be blown away w/it's amazingly tiny footprint. Not to mention how incredible it will sound.
Good Luck & Happy New Year
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Users who are viewing this thread

Back