Blackbird 71A with Grado's and Shure's????
Mar 30, 2009 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kurtd

New Head-Fier
After sifting through all the reviews, threads, web searches and sites, I've formed an opinion, though not very strong, but a little biased towards buying a Blackbird 71A.

I had previously posted a thread entitled, "Wow, My First Portable Amp" and now would like to focus on more of the 71A put with the Grado's, and Shure's and would love to hear from owner experiences with the aforementioned.

BTW, I've decided to drop my USB requirement on a portable amp and I'll work on one of these later (if I feel the desire).

My Grado's and Shure's line-up is in my signature.

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurtd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After sifting through all the reviews, threads, web searches and sites, I've formed an opinion, though not very strong, but a little biased towards buying a Blackbird 71A.

I had previously posted a thread entitled, "Wow, My First Portable Amp" and now would like to focus on more of the 71A put with the Grado's, and Shure's and would love to hear from owner experiences with the aforementioned.

BTW, I've decided to drop my USB requirement on a portable amp and I'll work on one of these later (if I feel the desire).

My Grado's and Shure's line-up is in my signature.

I did a bit of a comparison a while back and part of the review was to listen to the SR-71A with Grado 325i headphones. I think the SR-71A would sound fine with the Grado's at least; it reduces the Grado's brightness a little bit.

I can't speak for the Shure's though.

I believe the SR-71A is sold out on Ray Samuel's web site. You would have to go for a used one.

Cheers!
-HK sends

Mar 31, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 5
IMO, the SR71a is the perfect compliment to Grado headphones. It provides lots of current for a portable (what a Grado needs)....and as HK_sends says, it has does an excellent job at moderating any Grado fatigue due to it's sound signature.

I've heard most of the Shure lineup at one time or another and have always felt that they sounded somewhat "Grado-like" for an IEM. Therefore, they should sound decent on the SR71a.

One caution I have is that the SR71a is a relatively warm amp with lots of lower end emphasis (at least as compared to other RSA amps). When I use my UE5c's (which are bass heavy and similar to the Shure E500's/SE530's), I find that the combination is a little too warm and bassy for my tastes.

May 10, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #5 of 5
I use SR-71A with Shure SE530. Experience was jaw-dropping. Very much looking forward to trying out bigger headphones with this amp later on.

I've been e-mailing Ray Samuels for the last several weeks and found out there was a new batch being made. Ordered last week as soon as it was available, and received it early this week (super fast shipping)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back