Blackberry Bold headphone out SQ? Any measurements?
Jan 14, 2009 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

antonyfirst

Headphoneus Supremus
The title says all. I am interested in buying one as mobile phone and I am wondering how it would fare as mp3 player.

Jan 17, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 7
I have one, and am fairly satisfied with its SQ as a portable music player. I use it for now with a Koss KSC75T, same cans I used on other smartphones before.
IMO, and this is kind of surprising out of RIM, it blows anything else I've tested out of the water soundwise, as far as portable players are concerned. Nokias (N95, E90, N81, etc), Sony-Ericsson (w910i, W960) can't hold a candle to the sound quality of this thing. No hiss to speak of, powerful and tight bass, very nice and non-fatiguing detail, it's the real deal and I don't think I'll be switching mp3 players anytime soon... It also sounds better than an iPod, which is not that hard to do.
On the Bold the music is encoded in eAAC+ @ 128kbps, which is amply sufficient for this very efficient format, and that coupled with a 16gb MicroSD card means I can take a LOT of music with me, in what is really good quality for this type of gear.

Hope that helps.

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #3 of 7
Slight variation of the topic, but I'm going to check this out w/my BB Storm. It's plays video's amazingly well, now I just need to hear if the audio is as good. I'll post after I do a listening test.

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 7
I have a Blackberry Bold and really LOVE its headphone out with my pair of Westone 3. Very, very clear and resolved throughout the whole spectrum. Wiiide soundstage and tight bass.

I also have the iTouch --> ALO SXC --> P-51 --> W3 combo and that really sounds veiled and dark in direct comparison with the Bold.

Even though there is some slight hiss from the Bold with the W3 (if no music is playing), I would go so far and state its DAC is so superb that it beats the above-mentioned chain.

Jan 18, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Slight variation of the topic, but I'm going to check this out w/my BB Storm. It's plays video's amazingly well, now I just need to hear if the audio is as good. I'll post after I do a listening test.

I had the chance to test the headphone out of my friend's Blackberry Storm with the Westone 3 and, imo, it is without any doubt inferior to the Bold's. Very thin and digitally-sounding when A/B testing with the Bold.

Jan 18, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #6 of 7
I think digital is the perfect adjective. The Storm's sound really reminds me of Meridian. If you've used/owned Meridian gear, you will know what I'm on about. It very detailed, precise and articulate, no smeared notes, but has that slight digital etch to it. The Storm is no different. Thin is another word I would associate with the Storm's sound signature. It is more obvious if I use my HE60 because they are leaning towards the thin-sounding camp. No, the two have poor synergy.

HOLD ON! You know what I just did... I had the Storm connected to the "outputs" of my amp. That puts me into the idiot category. I'm surprised it still worked.

Anyhow, properly connected the sound quality is fabulous! I'm actually struggling to distinguish it from the 740c (of course, volume equalised, 320kbps MP3, Brahms Academic Overture/Berlin/Abbado). I haven't faffed up the cables again, have I?

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paddy855 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Blackberry Bold and really LOVE its headphone out with my pair of Westone 3. Very, very clear and resolved throughout the whole spectrum. Wiiide soundstage and tight bass.

I also have the iTouch --> ALO SXC --> P-51 --> W3 combo and that really sounds veiled and dark in direct comparison with the Bold.

Even though there is some slight hiss from the Bold with the W3 (if no music is playing), I would go so far and state its DAC is so superb that it beats the above-mentioned chain.

That's impressive
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back