Black Sand Cable's Violet Z1 power cord
Oct 29, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #16 of 52
Balisarda,
I was all set to buy a one of these as I had very recently HEARD a REAL BIG difference trying a homebrew power cord with my Bada h/amp in place of the supplied cord.

So, I get in touch with Black Sands how much for a Violet Z1 ftted with a Schuko European plug - wait for it - US/Canadian version $229; Euro versions - I was given a choice of (2) Oyaide $389 or Furutech $289.

Are we all dummies in Europe - I don't think so. There are no decent quality Schuko plugs available - of course there are and this cord should be offered for the same price as in North America.

Needless to say I won't be buying one - what a shame but I don't like being stiffed.

Stuart

Oct 29, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #17 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Stuart
Balisarda,
I was all set to buy a one of these as I had very recently HEARD a REAL BIG difference trying a homebrew power cord with my Bada h/amp in place of the supplied cord.

So, I get in touch with Black Sands how much for a Violet Z1 ftted with a Schuko European plug - wait for it - US/Canadian version $229; Euro versions - I was given a choice of (2) Oyaide $389 or Furutech $289.

Are we all dummies in Europe - I don't think so. There are no decent quality Schuko plugs available - of course there are and this cord should be offered for the same price as in North America.

Needless to say I won't be buying one - what a shame but I don't like being stiffed.

Stuart

Unfortunately that is often the case...we get to pay the premium.
Was that including or exluding shipping. maybe there's an option to buy a piece of cable and put your own plugs on?!

Oct 29, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #18 of 52
Hi tourmaline,
that most definately did'nt include shipping. Here we go - I wanted 2 x Black max terminated on one end only as well as the Violet - airmail 3-5 days $73.

If prices for shipping keep going up it's going to kill the international market.I cannot understand why business does'nt do something to give a kick up the ass to surface shipping. With air travel and shipping going to, quite rightly take a tax caning, aircraft being the biggest polluters - what's going to happen to air shipping costs, they will become astronomical - esta la vida.

Stuart

Oct 30, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #19 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Stuart
Balisarda,

Stuart

Why not got with offers available in Europe? I've seen a number of power cables on ebay from companies that seem to do that as their core business.

Here are some (click on the "Items for Sale" to see the current products available):
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/audioconnexion_24
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/world-of-audio
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/mejcf
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/vititan

I currently have a Supra LoRad with Bals/Wattgate plugs but I'm tempted to upgrade to another cable from one of those sellers.

Oct 30, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #20 of 52
The Pyramid Gold PSU's are great... I have no experience with the micro-ZOTL, but have used them with T-amp's and a mosfet headphone amp to good effect. You can get them off of eBay for pretty reasonable prices. Just make sure the unit you buy can supply enough amperage.

PS. Anyone know the difference between the Violet and the Chromium? They seem to be exactly the same except the Violet is more flexible. Chromium is way cheaper though...

Oct 30, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #21 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vul Kuolun
There's no physical explanation to it. It cannot be measured, explained or even be prooved.
From this viewpoint,it's nothing else than ESP, Astrology, or other humbug you might think about.

The scientific explanation for it is called "placebo".

Couple of questions:

How do you measure (good) sound scientifically?

If you can't hear a difference between cables couldn't be because of "placebo"?

Have you listened to different cables, some expensive some cheap?

Oct 30, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #22 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJN
Couple of questions:

How do you measure (good) sound scientifically?

If you can't hear a difference between cables couldn't be because of "placebo"?

Have you listened to different cables, some expensive some cheap?

1. Ask Sony and Phillips for example. 20 Years ago, they already knew enough about what parameters are needed to put excelent soundquality on the CD. Or ask Frauenhofer Institute, which developed mp3. What do you think, how much does one have to know about sound to be able to reduce a soundfile to a tenth of the original size providing the soundquality it does? Do you think they told their test persons which file was the original and which was the processed one? Do you believe, Monstercable or StefanAudio Arts do know more about it? If they knew, do you know what this would mean for electrical and acoustical research?

Actually, it's quite easy to calculate the influence of any known electric parameter on the behaviour of the cable in the audible spectrum. Every communications engineer can do. That's why you don't find these people round here. They're busy laughing.

2. Yes.

3. Yes. Thought i heard drastic differences, which does mean a ****. Self criticism is apropriate here, as we're talking about hearing which is an active process of the brain. It sais nothing about the signal quality of the cable, at least as long as you know which one is playing.

Have you ever listened to the same cable twice, one time you sitting uppon a bed of nails, the other time with Laetitia Casta sitting upon you (waterbed in this case)? Do you think this would change the sound?

Think about it.

Ask the right persons the right questions. Start with yourself.

But what was your contribution to the op?

Oct 30, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #24 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vul Kuolun
Actually, it's quite easy to calculate the influence of any known electric parameter on the behaviour of the cable in the audible spectrum. Every communications engineer can do. That's why you don't find these peoply here. They're busy laughing.

Not true. I've talked to quite a few EE's who believe in cables [based on their own experiences and scientific reasoning] and quite a few who do not. They are not all 'laughing at us'.
wink.gif

Oct 30, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #25 of 52
Vul Kuolun:

1. No you go ask Sony/Phillips that question. How can it be some people don't like digital sound much less mp3? How can they measure when a source/amp/cable sound nice to me?

3. Fine you can't hear a difference between cables but that tells something about you not other people.

Oct 30, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #26 of 52
Vul Kuolun, why don't you start a thread called "cables are useless" and then you can dish out all your non sense to people who actually listen to you?

Moderators, if there is a forum dedicated to cables people should be able for once to discuss about them: there is not a single thread in this section that is not totally derailled by aggressive and useless non sense by trolls like Vul Kuolun

Oct 31, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #27 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Anyone know the difference between the Violet and the Chromium? They seem to be exactly the same except the Violet is more flexible. Chromium is way cheaper though...

Anyone?

Oct 31, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #28 of 52
Hmm... I wonder how their Black Max MKII stack up to it's bigger brothers...

Oct 31, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #29 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Balisarda
... Oh, by the way, should I expect a burn-in period on a power cord?...

Yes, the Violet Z1 settles in nicely over about 150-ish hours of use. The nice thing about a Power Cord is that, to burn it in, you only need to leave the unit ON to which the PC is providing power. You don't need to have music playing, which makes 150 hours of use about 6-7 days of just leaving the unit on around the clock. The Violet Z1 I ordered arrived on 10/21, so I've just gone through the burn-in period - which leaves me with a rig that is one fine listening instrument. I, for one, very much enjoy listening normally through a burn-in period to hear the progression of the sound as the component settles in. Given the improvements to the sound of the music I play on my rig (and how it is enhancing how I interact with the music and appreciate the creative contributions of all of the people behind it) with the Violet Z1 powering my source, I'm quite excited about the explorations of music to come, and the insights into (and appreciations of) the creative expressions of people in their music that I'll come upon in my listening. Well, continue to enjoy!!!

Nov 4, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #30 of 52
Hi everyone!
lambda.gif

It's my first post here. ( I'm french-canadian and I speak english just a little bit. Excuse-me if what I write is not always easy to understand. )

I want to give a non-scientific answer to Jon Kuolun.

For me the power cord play the same role that the gas station for your car. Better is the quality of the gaz better is the performance of the motorin the car. Better is the quality of the current better is the performance of the Hi-Fi system and it's that the power cord can ... transmitting the purer ac as possible to the equipement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back