BLACK SABBATH: What are the best remasters available?
Jun 15, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #16 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, didn't you see a past interview with Ozzy? He insists it's "I tell you to ENJOY life, I wish I could but it's too late."

cerbie: if you get lucky, you can score the 1986 Castles for less than a retail CD... assuming you want a CD copy and not a vinyl one.

I'm sure it is ENJOY, but I think its more metal my way
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #17 of 66
Quote:

cerbie: if you get lucky, you can score the 1986 Castles for less than a retail CD... assuming you want a CD copy and not a vinyl one.

No vinyl rig, no plans for one [size=xx-small](plenty of plans regarding digital, waiting for the $)[/size].

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #18 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by cerbie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No vinyl rig, no plans for one [size=xx-small](plenty of plans regarding digital, waiting for the $)[/size].

The 1986 Castles are CDs so you should be good to go if you find them.

DavidMahler: Can you imagine the outcry back then if the lyrics were as you prefer?

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #19 of 66
Quote:

The 1986 Castles are CDs so you should be good to go if you find them.

DavidMahler: Can you imagine the outcry back then if the lyrics were as you prefer?

To my knowledge the lyrics were not printed on the sleeve right? And I'm sure many many people misheard it for what I always thought it was...

The way I heard it I always thought was not only metal, but kinda philosophical........saying he wishes he could end his life, but it's too late, how can that be?

Jun 15, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #20 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To my knowledge the lyrics were not printed on the sleeve right? And I'm sure many many people misheard it for what I always thought it was...

I do not have any pressings that have the lyrics, and I am sure many people did interpret them that way.

Jun 15, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #21 of 66
Quote:

I do not have any pressings that have the lyrics, and I am sure many people did interpret them that way.

Quote:

The way I heard it I always thought was not only metal, but kinda philosophical........saying he wishes he could end his life, but it's too late, how can that be?

Kinda shoots a hole in that argument from punk fans that metal does not stand for anything socially. Sabbath has tons of songs that are social critiques.

Jun 22, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #23 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew-Spaltro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't imagine why no one has noticed. Guys check amazon.com. On June 30th sanctuary is releasing more Sabbath remasters. Japenese remaster!!
devil_face.gif

The general consensus is that they are very good remasters considering the rest of what is out there. It is practically a small miracle that they do NOT suck since they are remasters and modern releases in fact. Some say they are better than the 1986 Castles (more punch and power), some say they are a bit behind them (less natural sounding and slightly more compressed). The extras are essential of you are a huge fan just to hear the songs from a different angle. I am strongly thinking of getting all of the Deluxe versions just to have the extra material and because I will always have a place in my heart for Sabbath. My first real concert I went to, and I was never the same
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 22, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #24 of 66
Funny, I read your post "New Music Thread" just after I asked the same question about the 2001 Castel 180 gram LPs. It would be nice if they would redo these. They are by far the best as they are talked about. I'm sure that there are people out there who have the WB, the Castel and the other Import pressings to compare. The Vertigo pressing is the second company to produce Sabbath number one. I have the Vertigo pressing that I found in the mid 70s when I was 14.{ It's been a long time but I still have it.}

I did get the Black Box. The book inside is great. This stuff just never sounds right on CD no matter what. It was born and lives on LP. I guess the CDs are nice to have .
The best thing they did was not screw everything up with a whole lot of extra 2nd rate BS at the end of each album. There are new remasters of Black Sabbath that are coming out right now. There will be instumentals of some songs and demos on new CDs.
The only thing I want is new 180 gram LP Remasters from Castel.
The thin WEA and NEMS, and Earmark remasters on LP are not that good. So lets get our rigs fine tuned and hope for thick heavy new 180 gram Castels someday.

Jun 22, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #25 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny, I read your post "New Music Thread" just after I asked the same question about the 2001 Castel 180 gram LPs. It would be nice if they would redo these. They are by far the best as they are talked about. I'm sure that there are people out there who have the WB, the Castel and the other Import pressings to compare. The Vertigo pressing is the second company to produce Sabbath number one. I have the Vertigo pressing that I found in the mid 70s when I was 14.{ It's been a long time but I still have it.}

I did get the Black Box. The book inside is great. This stuff just never sounds right on CD no matter what. It was born and lives on LP. I guess the CDs are nice to have .
The best thing they did was not screw everything up with a whole lot of extra 2nd rate BS at the end of each album. There are new remasters of Black Sabbath that are coming out right now. There will be instumentals of some songs and demos on new CDs.
The only thing I want is new 180 gram LP Remasters from Castel.
The thin WEA and NEMS, and Earmark remasters on LP are not that good. So lets get our rigs fine tuned and hope for thick heavy new 180 gram Castels someday.

I have not heard of an LP set from the 2001 Castle Remasters, but I bet they are using the same masters as the CD set if the LP set does exist. If you go LP, go first UK pressings by far. It will be a long process to get them, and it will be expensive, but if you want the best in LP form, there is no other alternative.

Jun 22, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #26 of 66
I may have answers. Will post again in this thread in a couple months with the final outcome. They do exist! If they will be made again that is another story for others more in the know than us.

Jun 23, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #27 of 66
Quote:

I may have answers. Will post again in this thread in a couple months with the final outcome. They do exist! If they will be made again that is another story for others more in the know than us.

That particular mastering? I doubt it. The escapades regarding the Sabbath catalog is a complete joke. So many bad releases and half-assed jobs because of safety tapes and copies of copies of master tapes. If someone like Steve Hoffman (or any other person who cares about sound quality) would just be allowed to release FLAT transfers from the MASTER tapes, I would be happy and so would many others. There is a lot to be made from a project like that, but they keep dropping the ball.

Sooner or later the master tapes will degrade and they will be lost. Not like anyone in the industry cares...

Jun 23, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #28 of 66
You will see and hear Roadtonowhere08, I have a feeling they will press the Castels again and they will sound better than the Earmarks. They may only be UK Imports, but they will return. For a sample get one of those "Best Of" four LP sets{ Castel 2000 }, your jaw will drop when you hear them.

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #29 of 66
to anyone who was involved in the production of the 2nd and 4th Black Sabbath releases but the mixing...production etc etc...whatever you want to call it. Is atrociously bad.

How you could go from okay mixing on Master Of Reality to tin can drums on Volume 4 is beyond me. Listen to the drum sound on MOR and then Vol4 and listen to how much better the drum sound is on MOR compared to Vol4. The difference is very noticable.

You can talk about mood untill your blue in the face. But if mood is in consideration make sure your production/mixing is up to some level of standards or quality control.

Jun 23, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #30 of 66
Quote:

You will see and hear Roadtonowhere08, I have a feeling they will press the Castels again and they will sound better than the Earmarks. They may only be UK Imports, but they will return. For a sample get one of those "Best Of" four LP sets{ Castel 2000 }, your jaw will drop when you hear them.

I would love to hear impressions comparing them to whatever else you have heard as well as pictures so I can see what they look like.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew-Spaltro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to anyone who was involved in the production of the 2nd and 4th Black Sabbath releases but the mixing...production etc etc...whatever you want to call it. Is atrociously bad.

How you could go from okay mixing on Master Of Reality to tin can drums on Volume 4 is beyond me. Listen to the drum sound on MOR and then Vol4 and listen to how much better the drum sound is on MOR compared to Vol4. The difference is very noticable.

You can talk about mood untill your blue in the face. But if mood is in consideration make sure your production/mixing is up to some level of standards or quality control.

Yeah, Sabbath's production is all over the place. My favorite is Sabotage. Outstanding production on that one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back