Black RPX–100; when beauty meets functionality
Aug 6, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ldj325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beauifuly work! Now quick make another connector that ternimates single-ended so you can go back and forth. As you know I've been waiting patiently for you to give a listen to balanced Edition 9s. Now that you've got the amp and are so close, I'm getting impatient, can't wait to hear.
blink.gif
wink.gif

Actually, the above comments and experiences were all with the single-ended version of the Edition 9s; had not yet gotten up the "noive" to snip off the phono plug. That all changed soon after my post.

Balancing act; Take II - With wire cutters in hand, I placed the Ed9 cord between the jaws, and just like in the nuclear threat movies when the hero must guess correctly on which wire to cut in order to defuse the bomb, I stood, uncertain, with just enough pressure on the cutter handles to dimple the outer cover; having a difficult time actually cutting the cord. The fear passed; I snipped it clean like a well-executed briss. The rest was easy as pie.

The result of balancing the Edition 9 (to my ears) was not as dramatic as the HF-1 balancing act; it's already such a good headphone. However, but to a lesser extent, what I wrote above about resolution and soundscape with balanced HF-1s also apply to the Edition 9s going balanced. The frequency range is just as extended on both ends of the spectrum. Like you reported, the wonderful bass is just as full, but seems to have a more natural (full) character to it and seems better controlled (less woollyness?). It's wonderful bass that sounds almost real (played bass in my youth)

And like the HF-1, the headphones simply disappeared and got out of the way of the music. A trait the Ed9 already exhibited single-ended, after listening for a while, but with this change, there is no transition period. It now sounds even less like I am listening to headphones; quite uncanny.

I'll wait for further break in of the amp and the cables/connecters, etc. before I do any real A/B to single-ended. I'll PM and email and we can compare notes. Ultimately, I suspect that I'll purchase some very hi-end XLRs and eliminate the pigtail; I like the balanced mode that much. I'll then possibly follow this up with a RAL cable and have Brad terminate with XLR so it's properly done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good to see you've received you amp, Dave! Now, burn-in the sucker and get it nice and ready for the meet!

It'll be ready to rock by meet time; already seems capable. Excited to have you hear this setup. Hmmm; mini-meet? 8~)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=xx-small]*And it's not lost on me that, for once, it's me who's waiting for gears and not you. [/size]

Yes, that is a nice switch, but I must also add that the level of gear that you're usually waiting for always justifies the wait (as he glances down at your siggy). The wonderful Gil Reference, the GS-X, the maxed KGSS; the list goes on and on, lucky boy.

Final thought on the RPX-100 - There seems to be limitless headroom to this gem. It handles fast passages with multiple layers of music and multiple frequencies without trying or even remotely breaking a sweat, at any (tolerable) volume level.

Aug 6, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by drp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The result of balancing the Edition 9 (to my ears) was not as dramatic as the HF-1 balancing act; it's already such a good headphone. However, but to a lesser extent, what I wrote above about resolution and soundscape with balanced HF-1s also apply to the Edition 9s going balanced. The frequency range is just as extended on both ends of the spectrum. Like you reported, the wonderful bass is just as full, but seems to have a more natural (full) character to it and seems better controlled (less woollyness?). It's wonderful bass that sounds almost real (played bass in my youth)

And like the HF-1, the headphones simply disappeared and got out of the way of the music. A trait the Ed9 already exhibited single-ended, after listening for a while, but with this change, there is no transition period. It now sounds even less like I am listening to headphones; quite uncanny.

I'll wait for further break in of the amp and the cables/connecters, etc. before I do any real A/B to single-ended. I'll PM and email and we can compare notes. Ultimately, I suspect that I'll purchase some very hi-end XLRs and eliminate the pigtail; I like the balanced mode that much. I'll then possibly follow this up with a RAL cable and have Brad terminate with XLR so it's properly done.

Final thought on the RPX-100 - There seems to be limitless headroom to this gem. It handles fast passages with multiple layers of music and multiple frequencies without trying or even remotely breaking a sweat, at any (tolerable) volume level.

This all sounds pretty wonderful,especially on an amp that is not even burned in yet. And congratulations on your nerve and selecting the " correct wire."

By the way, were you implying that you are looking at doing a complete recable on the Edition 9s? I'm not sure of what you were referencing there.
If you were recabling the Edition 9s, I would definately want to hear the results of that.

Aug 6, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #18 of 22
What exactly are those pigtails? That looks like an awesome way to re-cable something to go between balanced and SE >.<

Sep 1, 2007 at 9:26 AM Post #19 of 22
I'm really wanting the the Opus 21 cdp...it has the same kind of transport and dac as the Primare cd31. So does it sound nice with the Rudistor?
The Opus das a digital input, is it possible to connect it to the computor and how does one perform such an act?
dom

Sep 1, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by klenkar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really wanting the the Opus 21 cdp...it has the same kind of transport and dac as the Primare cd31. So does it sound nice with the Rudistor?
The Opus das a digital input, is it possible to connect it to the computor and how does one perform such an act?
dom

The Opus 21 and Rudistor continue to strike me as an amazing combination. Great synergy between these two pieces. From delicate classical guitar and female vocals to extreme bass and overdriven guitar tube amps, everything sounds very close to correct to my ears. The Opus is wet and juicy analog heaven.

I posted in the computer audio thread that in my humble opinion, the Opus makes for the ultimate (at this price point and a little higher) computer rig. I listen to lossless almost as much as CD media these days, plus it's easier to mix up a small playlist to burn in new gear. All you need is a sound card with coax digital out, a good coax digital cable, and then something like Foobar for a player, an ASIO driver to bypass the k-mixer (I use ASIO4ALL), and you are in business. I use the alac plugin so I can use the same lossless as I send to my iMod. With this setup, a button on the Opus remote switches you between digital in and the CDP. Easy as cake.

Several years ago, the DAC1 and Apogee Mini-DAC introduced me to computer audio. The Opus, in my opinion, takes the sound quality up several notches.

Oh, and the RPX-100 continues to strike me as one of the best sounding amps I've ever heard. Are you enjoying yours?

~Dave

Sep 2, 2007 at 10:12 AM Post #22 of 22
Same here. My RPX-100 has made me feel it is time to take a look again at the source. Although my SA14 sounds pretty good, I can't help and took ownership of a glorious new Musical Fidelity kW SACD a few days ago.

And sorry to my wallet too.

F. Lo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back