Black Rose Walllpapers
Nov 3, 2005 at 11:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Kurt

1000+ Head-Fier
Yup.
Check out the the Wallpaper thread. for1600x1200 versions.
Please post or link your Wallpapers there too.

BlackRose1.JPG

TIA

Nov 3, 2005 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 38
Awesome Kurt!
basshead.gif

Are you planning to review it sometime. Where can I find more information on it?

Your humble follower,

Slow

Nov 3, 2005 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 38
Thanks guys, love the look too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
How long have you had the Black Rose?

Just for 3 weeks. Still in the honeymoon phase.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slow_aetk
Are you planning to review it sometime.

I don’t know yet. Maybe after the honeymoon wears off. I also doubt that I am talented enough for a review.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slow_aetk
Where can I find more information on it?

This is a pre production amp. I wrote a little bit more about it in this post:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...14#post1697614

Cheers

Nov 4, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #7 of 38
What amps are Eddie Current still offering?

I just get the impression that there are a bunch of prototypes being worked on, but nothing finalized for production.

Nov 4, 2005 at 7:14 AM Post #8 of 38
Kurt, I am almost certain I had the pleasure of listening to your amp or one quite similar. You are very lucky, in deed--an amazing and awesome amp to say the very least.

Nov 4, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #9 of 38
Hi Kurt:

Let me start off by saying that you have made an extremely enviable purchase. I think that I am justified in saying that there is probably more than one Head-Fier out there who would give his eye teeth to own such a beautiful piece of 1920's looking retro audio gear. (Indeed, the entire line of Moth/EddieCurrent audio equipment, with its nautical style portholes, looks like it just stepped off the set of the movies Batman and/or Titanic!) WAY
cool.gif

Just for the record, though, could you please list the tube complement of your gorgeous pre-production Black Rose? From the photos that you’ve posted in the wallpaper tread, it looks like the Black Rose–or at least your pre-production version of it–uses a pair of GE 6J5's as drivers instead of the 6SL7's more commonly found on the Moth S2A3 and Si2A3. Can the Black Rose also use the 300B has an output tube like the EC2A3? If it can, then perhaps that's the reason for the use of the 6J5 over the 6SL7. Moreover, it looks as though your Black Rose is housed in one of the chases used in the production of the Moth Si300B. (For a photo of the Si300B the link is: http://eddiecurrent.com/mothaudio/ts-si300b.htm .) Also, who is the manufacture of those beautiful single plate looking 2A3's–or at least I presume that they are 2A3's–sitting up on top of your Black Rose as output tubes?

Again, Thanks for sharing the photo’s of your new acquisition.

–Nick

Nov 5, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #10 of 38
The design reminds me of the late 19th century.
My favourite is the Sphynx:

sphynx.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick
could you please list the tube complement of your gorgeous pre-production Black Rose?

One 5AR4 or GZ34 rectifier, two 6J5 input and two 2A3 or 45 output tubes. Today I rolled the GE 6J5s to RCAs and they seem to be even better.
Because the main use is headphone listening, Craig recommended the 6J5 over the 6SL7. They have a bit less gain.
Not sure about the use of the 300B but will ask Craig.

Quote:

Moreover, it looks as though your Black Rose is housed in one of the chases used in the production of the Moth Si300B.

Yes, the guy who makes the Black Rose chassis did run in some difficulties. That’s the reason why my amp is in the old Moth 300B case.
There are voltage switches instead of the bias adjustment knobs. This is for using 45 tubes.
Love the look and the meters but they are heavy (expensive to ship). The production chassis will be lighter because of the use of aluminium.

Quote:

Also, who is the manufacture of those beautiful single plate looking 2A3's–or at least I presume that they are 2A3's–sitting up on top of your Black Rose as output tubes?

Those are Emission Labs 2A3 mesh plates. Love them.
smily_headphones1.gif

And thats my first try to take a shot while they are working. Next week I get a tripod. Will try to make a better picture then.

[click for larger version]

Quote:

Again, Thanks for sharing the photo’s of your new acquisition.

Hey, you are welcome. We have a saying. “Shared Joy is doubled Joy”. It sure is in this case. =o)

And I just found another decent shot:

Cheers

Nov 5, 2005 at 8:26 AM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt
The design reminds me of the late 19th century.
My favourite is the Sphynx:

sphynx.jpg

You’re so right Kurt, the Sphynx is one of Moth’s most stunning designs; sort of a cross between Jules Verne and the Taj Mahal!!

Another remarkable looking Moth amp is the m304TL:

m304tl.jpg

In the late 1990's I was fortunate enough to have attended the Consumer Electronics Show (or CES) in Las Vegas. It was while I was there that I first learned of Moth Audio. I can still recall walking into their suit for the first time and seeing those huge m304TL’s set up. I thought, amusingly to myself, that maybe I had walked into the “Spock’s Brain” episode featured in the original 1960's Star Trek series!!
biggrin.gif
Anyway, the 304TL is one BIG beautiful bottle–even if it can’t think!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Not sure about the use of the 300B but will ask Craig.

I got the impression from post #4 by Mikey01 in the tread started by 909 titled Meta "Moth” phosis / Eddie Current EC2A3 / Undercover (pics 56K) (Link: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...39&postcount=4 ) that you might be able to use 2.5 Volt 300B Mesh Plates in your Black Rose. However, that tread refers to the equally new EC2A3 which may differ in construction from your Black Rose. Sorry if I posted any misinformation. As always, Craig will be the final arbiter of truth on this one.

Quote:

Yes, the guy who makes the Black Rose chassis did run in some difficulties. That’s the reason why my amp is in the old Moth 300B case.
There are voltage switches instead of the bias adjustment knobs. This is for using 45 tubes.
Love the look and the meters but they are heavy (expensive to ship). The production chassis will be lighter because of the use of aluminium.

Thanks for the info about the use of the 300B Moth chassis–I was wondering what those banana switches next to the output tubes were used for. (By the way, what use do the meters serve?) Despite its weight I think you should consider yourself very fortunate to be the owner of a Moth original design. I don't know the actual number of 300B chassis produced, but it can't be that many.

Quote:

Nov 5, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #12 of 38
Beautiful amp Kurt!! There is something special about that look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
Nice amp! That looks like the same case as the Moth s2A3 and si2A3 amps. I have my eye on an s2a3.

A man would have to be crazy or a fool to part with such a piece of history! Thank goodness sanity sometimes returns!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

IMG_2431.jpg

Nov 5, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #13 of 38
KenW said:

A man would have to be crazy or a fool to part with such a piece of history! Thank goodness sanity sometimes returns!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

I guess, I will order a Black Rose and save some money.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 5, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #14 of 38
tyrion said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW

very_evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

I guess, I will order a Black Rose and save some money.
evil_smiley.gif

Now, now....note the
wink.gif

Nov 5, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #15 of 38
So, this is your amp Ken. I had a hunch. Which tubes are in this picture?

s2a3.jpg

Quote:

By the way, what use do the meters serve?

Behind both output tubes is a DC milliamperes meter. So, both have their own constant tube tester.
biggrin.gif

To quote Craig:
“The neat thing about the meters is they show a failing tube. If the tubes are good they will bias up about the same. Say 45mA or so for 2A3's. A bad rectifier will either inject hum, or the voltage will fall off evenly on both meters dropping to some lower value. If an output tube is going bad that channel will drop. If the 6J5 is going bad the bad channel might go up in bias current.”

Meter500x300.jpg

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back