black metal recommendations
May 1, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by keanej6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm looking for more of the pagan/nordic/folk influenced black metal. not interested in bands like mayhem, immortal, dark funeral, etc.

Asking 'cause I don't know: what makes a band 'Viking'? Is it tossing in some traditional instruments or idealized heroic lyrics? Music or lyrical content?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also if you are interested in the history of where this style of music came from:
Bathory - Hammerheart

You want the previous album 'Blood Fire Death' with opening track 'Odens Ride over Nordland'.

51CGRT8FSKL._SS500_.jpg

Looks like a good party going on.

May 1, 2007 at 10:21 AM Post #32 of 47
Instead of just strict norse paganism, I expand my recommendations more wide "heathen" themed bands.

Nocternity, a Greece mythology based band. One of my fav albums is their Fallen Unicorn EP (dont let the name fool ya).

http://myspace.com/nocternityfanpage

Drudkh. Well, this band is all about (according to metalarchives) nature, heathen poetry and Slavonic paganism.

Negura Bunget. A band about spirituality and transilvanian mythologies. Their latest album OM is fantastic. Listen songs Tesarul De Lumini and Wordless Knowledge.
http://myspace.com/negurabunget

Paysage D'Hiver. Well, not exactly pagan nor heathen themed, but this ambient/blackmetal band is all about winter. What else could one ask! He has released a crapload of limited edition demos only which cannot be bought anymore (though, IIRC, he had nothing against downloading them if one wants to learn about his music. i gotta dig that interview up and confirm it) Though some of them have been re-released in LP vinyl format.

Wolves In The Throne Room. A dedicated back-to-the-roots lifestyle group playing very Nature themed blackmetal.

May 1, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Drudkh. Well, this band is all about (according to metalarchives) nature, heathen poetry and Slavonic paganism.

Negura Bunget. A band about spirituality and transilvanian mythologies. Their latest album OM is fantastic. Listen songs Tesarul De Lumini and Wordless Knowledge.
http://myspace.com/negurabunget

These two are probably my two favourite Black Metal bands

May 1, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These two are probably my two favourite Black Metal bands

Drudkh never did truly open up for me for some reason, but Negura Bunget is one of my favs too.
icon10.gif

May 1, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

Greece mythology based...

norse pagan oriented...

Hmm, Jaska's been around Finland long enough to know that black metal is based on a LOT more than these themes, unfortunately. I'm surprised there's any market at all for this sort of stuff
frown.gif

May 1, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #37 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, Jaska's been around Finland long enough to know that black metal is based on a LOT more than these themes, unfortunately. I'm surprised there's any market at all for this sort of stuff
frown.gif

politics will find a way of creeping into anything and everything, not that black metal is normal in the way it is politicized but as extreme themes go, its one end of the spectrum, and black metal is a form of extreme music (brutal death metal exploring another extreme, but less politicized, if at all). myself, im not surprised there is a market for it, especially given how people are entertained and interested by dark themes or even going as far as agreeing with it. if you ask me, black metal didn't just happen, it needed to happen, and it reflects an underground sentiment that was there at the time (and still is).

thanks for the recommendations guys, ive discovered a couple of new gems here!

May 1, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #38 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

I know. There are a lot of themes (hell, there is even Nazi subgenre of blackmetal!) in blackmetal, and every one of them is dark in some form. However, most of those themes are rooted in paganism/heathenism, directly or undirectly. What happened in Norway and the reasoning behind it is good example. However, the OP wanted strictly paganic blackmetal, so thats what he got. I left suicidial, death and satanically blasphemic stuff out.

Why is this stuff popular? Well, its not really popular as this music is still quite underground except few (and mostly hated amongst elitists) bands. As jonnywolfet said, people are usually interested in supernatural things, especially darker sides. But mere interest is not always only reason why one listens this music, and especially not the reason "cuz that music is teh eeeeeviiiil" wannabe. There is something in the atmosphere and ambience in the music that lures me. Whenever I listen, for example, Mutiilation - That Night When I Died or some well made suicidial blackmetal song, I just stare at emptyness and listen...

On a side note, someone wants uniquely themed blackmetal? Get Darkspace. Theme? Well... space. Before saying What, listen and be amazed. The lifeless void of space is actually surprisingly good theme for blackmetal, even though its not traditionally TR00 and KVLT.

May 1, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #39 of 47
Quote:

Negura Bunget.

That rang a bell, a look and I've got a three pack here. Zirnindu-sa, Sala Molksa (Transilvanian Forests)/ Maiastru Sfetnic/Zirnindu-sa. I remember it described as a box set and I laughed when it arrived-three CDs in an open ended slipcover. As for the musical content, or lack of, I have no memory whatsoever of what it sounds like. I'll have to play it again to learn how completely forgettable, or otherwise, it is.

May 3, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #40 of 47
MaZa;2921428 said:
I know. There are a lot of themes (hell, there is even Nazi subgenre of blackmetal!)
Sorry to get off subject but didn't Varg break out of jail with the help of the Einherjer Commandos (I think thats right)

All the ones I would Suggest have been but here are some more that yu might like:
Old Man's Child - Pagan Prosperity
Satyricon - Dark Medieval Times
Arcturus - Sideshow Symphonies
Limbonic Art- The Moon in the Scorpio and Epitome of Illusions (Later albums are pretty brutal)
Katatonia - Brave Murder Day, Dance of December Souls
Golden Dawn
Hollenthon
Ulver - Bergtatt, Kveldssanger

May 3, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #41 of 47
Helritt is another good pagan/viking/norse influenced band...they have some clean vocals in there so I'm not sure that they are considered completely black metal, but they are definitely worth looking into.

May 3, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #42 of 47
Frostychrist;2924956 said:
Quote:

I know. There are a lot of themes (hell, there is even Nazi subgenre of blackmetal!)
Sorry to get off subject but didn't Varg break out of jail with the help of the Einherjer Commandos (I think thats right)

All the ones I would Suggest have been but here are some more that yu might like:
Old Man's Child - Pagan Prosperity
Satyricon - Dark Medieval Times
Arcturus - Sideshow Symphonies
Limbonic Art- The Moon in the Scorpio and Epitome of Illusions (Later albums are pretty brutal)
Katatonia - Brave Murder Day, Dance of December Souls
Golden Dawn
Hollenthon
Ulver - Bergtatt, Kveldssanger

IIRC he did escape once, but was caught soon after. I wonder when he gets out, it would be interesting to see if he continues his music career, either blackmetal or ambient.

May 3, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #43 of 47
MaZa;2926194 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frostychrist /img/forum/go_quote.gif

IIRC he did escape once, but was caught soon after. I wonder when he gets out, it would be interesting to see if he continues his music career, either blackmetal or ambient.

I believe he is scheduled for parole in April 2008.

As far as his music, the last I heard he switched his attitude yet again and said he would do another album and it would be like the old BM albums. But I am sure you know how the whole "back to our roots" thing usually turns out.

May 3, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #44 of 47
BlackSol;2926465 said:
Quote:

I believe he is scheduled for parole in April 2008.

As far as his music, the last I heard he switched his attitude yet again and said he would do another album and it would be like the old BM albums. But I am sure you know how the whole "back to our roots" thing usually turns out.

They usually end up badly, yeah. It might turn out to be good, though I would have wished more ambient stuff. Hlidskjalf is one of best ambient albums I have heard. But then again, combination stuff a'la Filosofem would be perfect!

Back to blackmetal... what happened to his original claim that guitars and therefore metal is black-people rooted and to be avoided by "true whites" like him.
wink.gif
Pfft!

May 3, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #45 of 47
I agree alot of these bands say they are going back to there roots but they leave out that rawness from 1st gen Black Metal. Darkthrone and Carpathian Forest seem to stayng close to the old roots but it still doesn't have that rawness to it. In fact I beleive that Somewhat newer bands are staying some what closer to the old sound that the old bands are I.E. 1349, Watain and others.
Oh and somebody correct me if I am wrong but didn't Bathory adopt that electronic sound that most bands do latter in there careers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back