Black Kids "Wizard of Ahhhs" EP is amazing. And it's free.
Jan 30, 2008 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

goldenratiophi

Headphoneus Supremus
For fellow lovers of indie pop: Somehow I managed to dodge the hype the first time it went around, but the name popped into my head today and I decided to Google it and found out that Black Kids' debut EP is free. And it's insanely addictive. It's only 4 songs/15 minutes, but it's extremely difficult to resist listening to over and over again. Give it a try; it's free and if you're reading this you probably don't have anything better to do!

Site (with download): Black Kids

Wizard_of_Ahhhs.jpg

(2,000 woot)

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #4 of 6
What a great, fresh-sounding new band, with obvious songwriting talent!

When they played CMJ late last year, there was enormous hype, including a NY Times article about a showcase they played at a club on the Bowery.

"I'm Not Going to Teach Your Boyfriend (How To Dance With You)" landed at #68 on Pitchfork's "Top 100 Tracks of 2007".

I have been completely unable to get this track out of my head. Aside from the fact that it's just a great pop-rocker, the lyrics describe a situation that most of us probably have found ourselves in at some point in our lives. I mean, I'm a pretty selfless guy, but I'm not that selfless. The best rock n roll can capture slice-of-life situations like this like no other style of music, and this track is a perfect example.

This tune reminds me so much of Jonathan Richman at his empathetic best; I'm really surprised that no one has compared this band to him. They both have the ability to distill everyday love and life situations in a deceptively simple, beautifully crafted way.

There's a charming Kate Nash cover of this tune floating around the music blogs; apparantly she toured with them last year. The cover is done live with just her vocal and guitar, plus one additional acoustic guitar. Hearing an artist other than the composer do a strong version of a song only underlines how good the song is to start with.

Can't wait for their first full-length!

Jan 30, 2008 at 11:19 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The site never sent the confirming email.
frown.gif

Huh. Check your spam box and try again, I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a great, fresh-sounding new band, with obvious songwriting talent!

When they played CMJ late last year, there was enormous hype, including a NY Times article about a showcase they played at a club on the Bowery.

"I'm Not Going to Teach Your Boyfriend (How To Dance With You)" landed at #68 on Pitchfork's "Top 100 Tracks of 2007".

I have been completely unable to get this track out of my head. Aside from the fact that it's just a great pop-rocker, the lyrics describe a situation that most of us probably have found ourselves in at some point in our lives. I mean, I'm a pretty selfless guy, but I'm not that selfless. The best rock n roll can capture slice-of-life situations like this like no other style of music, and this track is a perfect example.

This tune reminds me so much of Jonathan Richman at his empathetic best; I'm really surprised that no one has compared this band to him. They both have the ability to distill everyday love and life situations in a deceptively simple, beautifully crafted way.

There's a charming Kate Nash cover of this tune floating around the music blogs; apparantly she toured with them last year. The cover is done live with just her vocal and guitar, plus one additional acoustic guitar. Hearing an artist other than the composer do a strong version of a song only underlines how good the song is to start with.

Can't wait for their first full-length!

Nice to see another fan; I can't wait for a full-length either!

Jan 30, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice to see another fan; I can't wait for a full-length either!

I just hope they don't hire some hack producer and get too slick. In the early 80s, there was a great band called the Bongos who built a huge underground buzz with devestating live shows and a series of simply produced EPs. They played hard-edged power-pop with bright melodies, killer vocal harmonies, and big guitar riffs in the mold of Badfinger or the Raspberries.

They never made a decent studio album. I remember hanging out with my best friend, listening to one of their albums; we looked at each other sadly and shook our heads. All of the rock energy was drained away, replaced with tons of stiff keyboard overdubs and all manner of other studio goo.

I **REALLY** hope these guys manage to avoid falling into that trap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back